Fw: [Leatherwolf] Fwd: [CALONTIR] Th Passing of Mikal The Ram

  • Debbie Sullentrup
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2008

      --- On Mon, 8/18/08, Jibra'il `Attar <jibrail.attar@...> wrote:
      From: Jibra'il `Attar <jibrail.attar@...>
      Subject: [Leatherwolf] Fwd: [CALONTIR] Th Passing of Mikal The Ram
      To: "Deodar" <deodar@yahoogroups.com>, baronyofcoeurdennui@yahoogroups.com, leatherwolf@yahoogroups.com, "Modar University" <Modar-University@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, August 18, 2008, 2:40 PM

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: <Eadweard Boicewright> <Boicewright@ aol.com>
      Date: Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 2:27 PM
      Subject: [CALONTIR] Th Passing of Mikal The Ram
      To: CALONTIR@listserv. unl.edu

      Draw the children close and speak to them softly. Hold them tight,
      dry their tears as well as your own.

      This day there is one less empty bench in Bragi's Hall. Master Mikal
      Hrafspa, (Mikal the Ram) who referred to himself as an annoying Bard
      with no redeeming qualities, has taken to the Swan Road one last time.

      At 2:15 18 August 2008 he was welcomed into the famed hall of the
      Skalds and offered his rightful seat near the fire to rest his body
      for ever more. There his horn will never be empty of mead. His feet
      never weary from fire walking. Where he can tell tales and sing
      songs to his hearts content.

      His only regret may be that he will never again be able to tell a King
      that he must turn down a royal invitation and go off to tell tales to
      the most important people of Calontir, the children. And that the
      cries and clamor to hear Uncle Master Mikal will be heard no more.

      Though the wails of mourning can be heard in his house, His pyre is
      being prepared. The Oracles are being consulted for the proper time
      and place. When this is divined, word will be sent forth for those
      wishing to
      Honor him.

      Roust the Heralds and send them forth to spread this sad news through
      out the Kingdom and Known World.

      With bowed head and heavy heart I post this notice;

      Master Eadweard Boicewright

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2008
        I've been keeping up with this on the Bard's list, but this is a hard blow for me.

        It is my belief that the way that people get hooked into the SCA is by meeting someone that sparks something special in them. I remember when Ermennrich went to his first Lilies at my (very) firm insistence and met Baron Modar and he spent nearly the whole war at Herald's Point learning. For me, it was seeing Mikal the Ram sitting down in front of Cornucopia telling stories and singing songs. I wanted to be like him. Whenever he told a story he always seemed like he was enjoying himself thoroughly. And he always had one more story. At that Lilies I decided to join the Bardic College, and I sang a song for him and was invited in with open arms.

        If anyone here has ever enjoyed hearing me sing or teaching a song, you have this man to thank for starting that process.

        I know I can't make it to the funeral, but if anyone knows if remembrances will be held at Kris Kinder or Lilies War please let me know and I will do my best to be there.

        In grief,
        Jacob the Singer

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2008

          We’ll let you know….

          -Roberto

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2008

            Thank you Roberto.

            Jacob the Singer

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008

              There will be a memorial at this coming Lilies.  I have no details at the time, but it was mentioned that Mikal had something planned, during the wake.

              -Roberto

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008

                Thanks Roberto. Definitely will be at Lilies then.

                Jacob the Singer