The Email In Which MacHeath Begs The Kingdom Exchequer For Forgiveness

  • Eric Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
      Hey all,

      So I've been meaning to bring this up at a meeting, but, y'know, weather.

      Ermenrich and I had a talk with our superiors in the Kingdom (that is, the Kingdom Seneschal and the Kingdom Exchequer) and we have been informed that there is no way the Kingdom can allow us to live together and still both retain our positions as officers. In other words, either Ermenrich must stop being Seneschal or I must stop being Exchequer. Given that I have about a 60/40 chance of moving away from Kirksville in a few months, it's pretty academic that the person who should give up his position is me. (Plus my warrant ran out last month anyway.)

      What this means is that, STRAIGHTAWAY, we need a new Exchequer. The job is kind of annoying (because it's the least SCA-ish job in the SCA, seeing as you're dealing with mundane banking and checkbooks and balance statements) but it isn't hard- in fact, if you keep up, your job is literally just keeping track of the checkbook and the bank statements. However, it must be done, because if there is no Exchequer, there is no Bellewode.

      Anyone who wants to take up the mantle, please email me ASAP. Thanks!

      -Aldheim

      --
      Between my finger and my thumb
      The squat pen rests.

      -Seamus Heaney
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
        Piggy backing off of this....  Exchequer is important.  How important?  Well as a group we HAVE to have two officers and one of them has to be exchequer.  My suggestion is for someone to take over the office ASAP (say by the end of the month).  This would allow Aldheim enough time to train them in everything they need to know.  Usually this job only takes up about two hour's worth of time every three months.  Please think about this carefully.  You will be in charge of the group's funds and be one of the signatories on the account.  Thanks everyone.

        Ermenrich

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
          I suppose that I could do exchequering.

          Matthew Lagemann wrote:

          >Piggy backing off of this.... Exchequer is important. How important?
          Well as a group we HAVE to have two officers and one of them has to be
          exchequer. My suggestion is for someone to take over the office ASAP
          (say by the end of the month). This would allow Aldheim enough time to
          train them in everything they need to know. Usually this job only
          takes up about two hour's worth of time every three months. Please
          think about this carefully. You will be in charge of the group's funds
          and be one of the signatories on the account. Thanks everyone.

          >Ermenrich

          Exchequer For Forgiveness

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2008
            Going further off of this, do all the officers in Bellewode have deputies? If you have the people you should! It makes things so much easier when something unexpected happens like this. People move, grades fall and they drop out, get tired of the position or the SCA, and it sucks to suddenly have a void.

            In fact, my AoA is for "service to the College of Bellewode" for just such reasons. About a year or two after I joined we had a huge graduation drain and many positions became unfilled. By stepping up to take these I learned a lot about SCA operations and got to meet many people. Ask me about Caloncon sometime if I ever make it back there.

            In the Mews there's a line that says something like "The first duty of a new officer is to report to their Kingdom Superior." I would say "The second duty of a new officer is to find their replacement and train them."

            YIS from the Kingdom of Meridies

            Jacob the Singer