Beware the long winded man at the door

  • Tony Oberman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
      I'd love to go with you guys to KC but I have to work. And Wal-mart
      (<-- I work here) is really starting to screw with my schedule. Sorry
      to have to rant a little here but I'm having a hell of a time getting
      a strait answer out of any of the five managers over me. (you
      remember "Office Space")

      Anyway that's my gripe for the day. On to happier things. I think a
      sewing night with the gang sounds great. I work nights, so I can be
      in Kirksville any time after 6:00 so long as I can get to work by
      10:00. Next week I have the nights of Tuesday the 24th and Friday the
      27th off. So on those days I can be down there any time during the
      day until the wee hours the next morning. It doesn't matter to me
      when. If you guys pick a day, I'll be there with bells on. Just tell
      me where to be and what to bring and I'll have it in hand. I have
      some fabric I was intending to use. I don't know what it is, just
      some thin, almost canvas like stiff. I'll bring it along but if
      someone wants to meet me at Wal-mart some time and get me a sample of
      what I should look for I can have that too. If not its no biggie, I
      can always make another one with different stuff.

      My tunic is only part of the reason I want to learn how to sew shirts
      and pants. If all goes as planned I'll pick up my first batch of cow-
      coating, bovine-burlap, steer-silk (you get the idea *grin*) tomorrow
      morning. Anyway I want to have a little experience before I start
      cutting up expensive skins. I want to have a good start on the
      leather parts of my garb before our meetings start up. And I hope to
      have it all ready for Halloween. (I got invited to a local haunted
      house.)

      My curiosity of this group's swordsmanship is getting the best of me
      too. I'd love to get a crash course on your rules and weapon stiles.
      As a Viking I'd be using a sword and shield but in the few times I've
      tried weapon fighting I've taken a great liking to both the two
      handed sword and the quarter staff.

      One last thing and I promise I'll shut up for the day…

      Does anyone have or know where I can find (to period) plans to build
      a catapult. My folks have a fair amount of land and I think it's a
      shame that I haven't yet built any heavy artillery. (I'll tell them
      about it after its built)

      As promised I'll shut up now.
    • Eric Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
        Hrm. Well, we aren't much of a fighting group, it should be said. Ermenerich does a little, and Eoin is pretty good, but I'm not sure how much he actually does anymore. We do know fighters in Standing Stones (Columbia) and elsewhere who I'm sure would love to talk with you, though.

        -Aldheim

        --
        Between my finger and my thumb
        The squat pen rests.

        -Seamus Heaney
      • Sauer, Michael F.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
          >My curiosity of this group's swordsmanship is getting the best
          of me
          >too. I'd love to get a crash course on your rules and weapon
          stiles.
          >As a Viking I'd be using a sword and shield but in the few
          times I've
          >tried weapon fighting I've taken a great liking to both the two

          >handed sword and the quarter staff.

          We have a great many fighters who fight in the Norse style of sword with
          centergrip
          shield. Calontir is also home to some great greatsword (swords from 4 to
          6 feet)
          fighters. There is also a hand-and-a-half sword (up to 4 feet), that is
          quicker and
          as often as not fought in the style of a Japaneese Katana.

          I'm afraid that we do not use quarter staff, as it is not an effective
          weapon vs a
          fully armored combatant. A pole arm is the closest analogue we have,
          allowing for
          slashing and thrusting at one end and thrusting only at the other end.

          The rules can be found at http://www.calontir.sca.org/earlmarshal/ and
          while any
          fighter needs to read and understand these, seeing and doing will give
          you a better
          feel fo exactly what we do.

          Conrad
          Standing Stones
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
            If I may add onto Conrad's post, you'll also need to source some rattan. It's been a while since I've purchased some but it normally costs around 20 bucks for 9 ft worth, which is enough for three swords. If you source it yourself make sure it's larger than 1.25 inches in diameter or it won't pass inspection. Nearly all of our weapons have this substance as its core as it approximates the weight and flexibility of medieval weaponry while remaining safe to use. Rattan doesn't snap cleanly (that I have seen) but tends to mush and splinter with repeated impact. http://www.franksupply.com/ is one place to get it mail-order. I don't know anyone local to Calontir anymore that stocks it. Check some events and talk to merchants.

            Also, unless rules have changed in the interim, every fighter has to learn sword and shield before moving onto other weapon styles. Being Norse, you'll want a round shield. If you buy the wood yourself make sure you get good plywood of sufficent thickness or instead procure a metal shield blank. Many merchants carry these and may be able to sell you the rest of the equipment necessary for them. Do not under any circumstances use particle board! I've seen shields made of it explode into bits during fighter practices.

            Even if you don't have your armor by getting these two items you can start getting a feel for things and building your muscles up. Also, if you have access to a Known Worlde Handbook there are many good articles in there on making stuff and basic fighting. Try to get to a fighter practice as soon as you're able to so you can see how it works though. Personal instruction is best. If you have any questions I'm more than willing to answer them either on or off the list. (venkateshvara@...)

            YIS
            Jacob the Singer