544RE: [SCA_Bellewode] Symposium Update

    Jan 2, 2006
      I am not sure that this is the reply that should go out or not. However I
      am going to type it because I'm about to explode, therefore I must type it
      up.

      There are many reasons why our events can go together. 1) Their event does
      not appear to be an educational event at all. Having a consultation table
      is a _world_ different from having a Symposium. Having a day of classes
      versus an event with a feast are two different things entirely. The
      coincidence that they want to have consultation and dancing (two common
      things) versus that we want to have a day of education that happen to touch
      on dancing and heraldry is something to make someone chuckle - the events
      will have things common, oh my. However, do they plan on having fighting? We
      don't at this time.

      2) We are not in the same region. The 'regional' border is about 30 miles
      north of us. They just happen to be within 150 miles of us. 150 miles is a
      rather long way. We fall under the prevue of the central region as far as
      reports go, they are in the north.

      3) We are attempting to get a weekend that _always_ works for us as a
      protected weekend for us. That alone should count for some sort of
      courtesy.

      4) We have been told by both Gold Falcon and by the Dancers in this Kingdom
      that they want to see this event happen. Having a small dance at an events
      is not going to be a large draw to the event. The event in Grimfells is
      also going to have dancing. I have seen it discussed on the dance list for
      the kingdom. So by saying, "We plan to have dancing, we are barely in
      geographical conflict, no you can't have your event," Is a little on the
      ridiculous side.

      5) The state of Heraldic education in this Kingdom is so hurt that this
      event _needs_ to happen. If this doesn't happen then that means there is
      absolutely no heraldic educational events happening since last April, and
      that hurts the Kingdom as a whole.

      6) The original email was, quite frankly, rude, and we deserve at least an
      apology. We are not in regional conflict, we are not having the same event,
      and the events don't conflict in tempo - and we have been told by a kingdom
      officer and by an interest group in the kingdom that they want us to have
      our event. It won't break the bank of an Iowa group as Iowa people will
      travel to it. There are a _lot_ more groups closer to the small Iowa group
      than there are Missouri groups close to us.

      Looking at he Kingdom map I am seeing that there are 4 other groups very
      close to that one, and a Barony within a 2 hour or so drive. When I look at
      Bellewode on the map I see that there are two Baronies 3+ hours away, and
      that within 2 hours of us there are only 2 groups. This shows beyond a
      shadow of a doubt that their group has a larger draw for their event, and
      since we are planning on having no fighting, that also hurts our draw versus
      theirs. That tells me we can expect very little draw from Iowa, and no draw
      from southern Missouri. This leaves us looking at a middle Missouri draw
      only, and then only the Heralds, Scribes and dancers. However, they deserve
      to have an event they have requested us to hold.

      I would not send this email directly to them as it is written in a major
      state of disbelief, but I would definitely email back and make a few points
      about it, requesting it politely. If they say no we are completely screwed
      on the year as we can't change our rooms this late in the game.

      -Roberto the still majorly pissed.