2369Re: [SCA_Bellewode] New Seneschal?

    Aug 23, 2010
      Once again, thank you for your input! :) I imagine that we may continue to use the mailing list for large and important or urgent announcements (for example, things relating to our Symposium, such as requests for teachers and classes, but undoubtedly you will see those on other mailing lists as well), but our day-to-day communication and decision making about internal affairs will definitely be through the private, current-Bellewodian-only section of the forum, not this mailing list. As I said before, this is what we--as a group--decided would best suit our needs.

      Thanks especially for the suggestion about a blog, Lady Sofya. That's a very interesting idea. If we ever get enough members to have a Chronicler, that would probably be his/her jurisdiction, no? On the other hand, I can't imagine that our doings are THAT interesting. I know I wouldn't want to read some group's weekly updates about their every tiny decision--probably wouldn't make for a very thrilling blog! It would probably be a much more interesting and helpful tool with a larger group, but I think our forum is serving the purpose quite tidily.

      Roberto--We checked with the Kingdom Webminister already; everything is fine. :)
      We've actually got a few members of the community involved, including our current seneschal, Gillian, and her family. :) Frosti shows up every now and then and, as you can see in the previous emails, Eoin and Eppie are interested in getting involved again. We're very glad to have them. I'm not sure what this has to do with the forum, though...? Maybe I'm missing something... =/
      Anyhow, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you won't have the time to keep up with the forum. We certainly didn't intend to inconvenience anyone in this way.

      Thanks again,
      Lady Isabella Caresini

      On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Anne McKinney <annemckinn@...> wrote:

      The group I am currently active in toyed with the idea of using a forum last fall, but it was abandoned because there was no notification system to let people know when new messages had been posted. Like Roberto, I, too, have been following this mailing list (though I only went to the forums once and then forgot about them) and would like to see it continue. Of course, the current group members need to go with what works best for themselves. :-)

      To my knowledge there is no rule in SCA Corpora that says a group HAS to use a mailing list for communication. As long as the group's website gives contact information for a representative of the group, and gives a link to whatever forum is being used, that should be enough.

      However, if I may make a suggestion, it would be nice to have some outward communication of announcements for those of us who are not checking the forum site every day. If you want to phase out this mailing list, a blog would allow people to subscribe to an RSS feed. Alternately, Google Groups has some nice advantages over Yahoogroups.

      Our group has also considered moving to Google Groups, and we may someday -- but we still have our calendar connected to Yahoogroups. This setup has let us send email reminders for meetings and officer report deadlines. If we can encourage our folks to move to Google, that calendar can be embedded onto our website for even better information sharing.

      Good luck with what you are doing! It's been a few years but I still have fond memories of Bellewode. It would be nice to continue to hear great things from you!

      YiS,

      Sofya Chyudskaya Smolyanina
      now in the Shire of Wurm Wald, Midrealm

      On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Chris Lewis <pretzelbear@...> wrote:

      Alas, I have a very busy schedule, and the benefit to mailing lists is that for those of us who use Outlook and pop mail (an IT standard), my mail comes in, and the only effort I take is to check it.

      I understand that while College Students, the forum format works very well.  I am sad to say that the email list will be the way I keep track of Bellewode, so I will be disappointed in not being able to keep tabs, but anything that comes here will still come across my email.

      Also, at this time I I have no knowledge  of the Forum as an SCA standard for communications, so if someone is acting as Webminister, that might be a good thing to check on (trying to be helpful).

      But please do not forget, you do have local Kirksville residents who really do want to participate and play.  I know Frosti, Eoin and Eppie are all still local and would love to be involved.  Local residents can be a very powerful resource, even if it means adjusting meeting times so that they can make it.  The experience they bring can be very deep – especially someone who has been playing in the SCA for 20 years as Lord Eoin has been.

      Good luck with the school year, and I hope all recruitment efforts are stellar.

      -Roberto

      From: Barbara Smith-Mandell <bsm@...>

      To: SCA_Bellewode@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

      Greetings Roberto,

      I will be the new seneschal for Bellewode. I haven't yet formally signed up, but will do that tonight.

      I can be reached either at this email or at bsmithmabndell@ yahoo.com.  Home phone # is 660 665 6781. Work phone is 660 785 4525. I have a cell phone but it is often not on.

      Gillian atta Wode

      (Barbara Smith-Mandell)

      On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

      Could I get an email address for the new seneschal?

      I can be reached at pretzelbear (@) everestkc (.) net

      Had a Kingdom officer ask me about it and I want to make sure I pass along accurate information.

      Thanks.