Mugmort Melees Decameron

  • Mark Cipra
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
      (I request that you repost this to local lists, Facebook, etc., as
      appropriate.)

      Mugmort Melees (May 17-19 near Columbus, Ohio) is going to be a
      mini-immersion event based on the Decameron! (I believe the actual event
      theme is something like "Retreat from the Plague".) The entire event is not
      given over to the bardic, but there will be stories from Decameron told
      throughout the feast, and we're planning some night-time activities
      (fire-walking, perhaps, and/or a bawdy bardic circle) and perhaps a daytime
      bardic venue as well.

      The really fun part of all this is that this wasn't the idea of some crazy
      bard. The feastocrat of the event proposed it!

      By report, the feast hall is actually rather well set-up for storytelling -
      quite small, good acoustics.

      I'd like to encourage more bards to get to and participate in this event.
      All that's required is that you prepare one or two stories from the
      Decameron. If you want to perform during the feast (a limited number of
      slots - contact me in advance), we'll probably want these to be toned down
      for family consumption: "They enjoyed each other's company for a time"
      rather than "they &^$*ed like rabbits in the spring". Evening performances
      can go full out. Feast stories should have at least some reference to the
      main course ingredient: crudites (on the table), pasta, chicken, pork (?),
      dessert (cookies?).

      I've had expressions of interest from three bards (Ladies Ursula and Ketta
      and Lord Brendan). Contact me at the address below if you're interested.

      Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)
      cipram@...
      __
    • corrie
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
        Links you may find useful if you're not already familiar with the
        whole of the work. (My 1963 Junior Classics edition contains exactly
        THREE stories.)

        http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/decameron/engDecIndex.php

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_of_Decameron_tales

        On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Mark Cipra <cipram@...> wrote:
        > (I request that you repost this to local lists, Facebook, etc., as
        > appropriate.)
        >
        > Mugmort Melees (May 17-19 near Columbus, Ohio) is going to be a
        > mini-immersion event based on the Decameron! (I believe the actual event
        > theme is something like "Retreat from the Plague".) The entire event is not
        > given over to the bardic, but there will be stories from Decameron told
        > throughout the feast, and we're planning some night-time activities
        > (fire-walking, perhaps, and/or a bawdy bardic circle) and perhaps a daytime
        > bardic venue as well.
        >
        > The really fun part of all this is that this wasn't the idea of some crazy
        > bard. The feastocrat of the event proposed it!
        >
        > By report, the feast hall is actually rather well set-up for storytelling -
        > quite small, good acoustics.
        >
        > I'd like to encourage more bards to get to and participate in this event.
        > All that's required is that you prepare one or two stories from the
        > Decameron. If you want to perform during the feast (a limited number of
        > slots - contact me in advance), we'll probably want these to be toned down
        > for family consumption: "They enjoyed each other's company for a time"
        > rather than "they &^$*ed like rabbits in the spring". Evening performances
        > can go full out. Feast stories should have at least some reference to the
        > main course ingredient: crudites (on the table), pasta, chicken, pork (?),
        > dessert (cookies?).
        >
        > I've had expressions of interest from three bards (Ladies Ursula and Ketta
        > and Lord Brendan). Contact me at the address below if you're interested.
        >

        > Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)
        > cipram@...
        > __
        > "When in doubt, end with a jig" - Robin McCauley

      • corrie
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2013
          Another incredible online resource:
          http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/dweb/index.php