OT: It's not like I like the kid...

  • corrie
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2013
      The sonnet I wrote for my son, Evan Bergeron, on the occasion of his 18th birthday:

      Hwaet
      XVIII

      What wisdom can a father give a boy
      Who suddenly has grown into a man?
      Who yesterday delighted in his toy
      And now who dares and does because he can?
      What knowledge gained in intervening years
      Between your infant cry and these old bones?
      The nights all silent spent in prayers and tears?
      New as fresh spring grass, and old as stones?
      Two things, by sages long ago confirmed
      Will serve you well, let Fortune e're what may:
      Hearken to the lessons you have learned.
      Trust that God will lead you on your way.
      So. Here at childhood’s end, and manhood’s start,
      Man grown from boy, I hold you in my heart.

      Thanks to Lady Sorcha of the Cleftlands for transcribing it onto permanent media.
      Based on his reaction I suspect he'll keep it.  :-D

      Brendan

      The kid spotted an unexpected "gotcha."  He's a 4th year student of the Chinese language.  Months ago his teacher bestowed on him a Chinese name:  Bo Je Ran.
      Ran meaning, "State of being" or... "So."

      :-DDD

    • jenny tavernier
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2013
        Much Clapping, cheering, and whistling from the grandstands from over here in Reno Nv!

        Jenneth the Rindill
        Bard of the PickleBowl

        the arrogant fox held a woodsy feast
        with otter balancing wines