Re: [SCA_BARDS] Dead kings

  • Alaxandr MacLochloinn
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 15 11:07 AM

      One other possibility, if you've got some latitude, is to go with the Champion who sleeps until his country needs him again, a.la Holger Danske.

      Sleeping Hero Legends
      http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/sleep.html
      "But the grandest thing to be seen there is the ancient Kronborg. And down deep inside, in a dark cellar where no one ever goes, sits Holger Danske. He is dressed in iron and steel, with his head resting on his strong arms. His long beard hangs over a marble table, into which it has grown. The knight sleeps and dreams, and in his dreams he sees everything that is happening above in Denmark. Every Christmas Eve an Angel of God comes and assures him that what he has dreamed is true, and that he can safely go back to sleep, because Denmark is in no real danger. But if danger ever does come, then old Holger Danske will arise, breaking the table in pieces as he pulls out his beard! And then he will come forward and strike out and be heard in all the lands of the earth."