Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Dead kings

  • Melinda
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
      Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
      recorded...
    • Frederick J. Hollander
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
        Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?

        "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
        The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
        and the King of Norway...."

        That one?

        On 2/10/2013 1:59 PM, Melinda wrote:
        > Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
        > recorded...

        & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
        ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
        ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
        -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---
      • Melinda
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
          That's the one. Not period, but it is a great song...

          Melandra

          > Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?
          >
          > "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
          > The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
          > and the King of Norway...."
          >
          > That one?
          >
          > On 2/10/2013 1:59 PM, Melinda wrote:
          >> Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
          >> recorded...

          >> Shortcut URL to this page:
          >>

          > --
          > & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
          > ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
          > ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
          > -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---

        • rdeaver
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
            > We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead
            > king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody
            > got a lead I can chase?
            >
            > Ingeborg

            Hard to go wrong with Kipling.

            http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/dead_king.html

            --
            Mathurin
            "Non nobis solum"
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013

              One other possibility, if you've got some latitude, is to go with the Champion who sleeps until his country needs him again, a.la Holger Danske.

              Sleeping Hero Legends
              http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/sleep.html
              "But the grandest thing to be seen there is the ancient Kronborg. And down deep inside, in a dark cellar where no one ever goes, sits Holger Danske. He is dressed in iron and steel, with his head resting on his strong arms. His long beard hangs over a marble table, into which it has grown. The knight sleeps and dreams, and in his dreams he sees everything that is happening above in Denmark. Every Christmas Eve an Angel of God comes and assures him that what he has dreamed is true, and that he can safely go back to sleep, because Denmark is in no real danger. But if danger ever does come, then old Holger Danske will arise, breaking the table in pieces as he pulls out his beard! And then he will come forward and strike out and be heard in all the lands of the earth."