Re: Dead kings

  • hithaelin
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10 11:03 AM
      There's also a Middle English poem De Tribus Regibus Mortuis (The Three Dead Kings, also called The Three Living and Three Dead Kings). It's in Thorlac Turville-Petre's "Alliterative Poetry of the Later Middle Ages: An Anthology". Basically, three living kings go hunting, get lost, and meet three walking corpses who identify themselves as the "fathers" of the three living kings. The three corpse-kings moralize at the three living ones and disappear when the sun rises.

      Kathleen of Bergental
    • Melinda
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10 1:59 PM
        Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
        recorded...
      • Frederick J. Hollander
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10 3:58 PM
          Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?

          "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
          The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
          and the King of Norway...."

          That one?

          On 2/10/2013 1:59 PM, Melinda wrote:
          > Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
          > recorded...

          & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
          ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
          ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
          -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---
        • Melinda
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 10 4:19 PM
            That's the one. Not period, but it is a great song...

            Melandra

            > Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?
            >
            > "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
            > The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
            > and the King of Norway...."
            >
            > That one?
            >
            > On 2/10/2013 1:59 PM, Melinda wrote:
            >> Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
            >> recorded...

            >> Shortcut URL to this page:
            >>

            > --
            > & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
            > ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
            > ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
            > -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---

          • rdeaver
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 12 6:39 PM
              > We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead
              > king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody
              > got a lead I can chase?
              >
              > Ingeborg

              Hard to go wrong with Kipling.

              http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/dead_king.html

              --
              Mathurin
              "Non nobis solum"
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 15 11:07 AM

                One other possibility, if you've got some latitude, is to go with the Champion who sleeps until his country needs him again, a.la Holger Danske.

                Sleeping Hero Legends
                http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/sleep.html
                "But the grandest thing to be seen there is the ancient Kronborg. And down deep inside, in a dark cellar where no one ever goes, sits Holger Danske. He is dressed in iron and steel, with his head resting on his strong arms. His long beard hangs over a marble table, into which it has grown. The knight sleeps and dreams, and in his dreams he sees everything that is happening above in Denmark. Every Christmas Eve an Angel of God comes and assures him that what he has dreamed is true, and that he can safely go back to sleep, because Denmark is in no real danger. But if danger ever does come, then old Holger Danske will arise, breaking the table in pieces as he pulls out his beard! And then he will come forward and strike out and be heard in all the lands of the earth."