Re: Dead kings

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
      Ozzymandaias (sp?)

      Mithgiladan
    • Aneleda Falconbridge
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
        The death of King Edward II is grisly and fantastical. (In poetry or in any other format.)

        http://www.archive.org/stream/modernlangrevi16modeuoft/modernlangrevi16modeuoft_djvu.txt
      • Laura Munn
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
          I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but there is this fantastic Russian folk tale told by the peasants that has to do with a man who was to be king and he was killed. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I do know that he was later brought back to life and married to the woman who helped bring him back and because of his death it was obvious he was the true and proper king instead of his brother the imposter. There are a few interesting stories like that.

          In The Primary Chronicles, there is also the story of the Prince who was ale to predict his own death.

          I don't know if those help, but I can find that one story again if you are interested.

          YiS,
          Katrusha Skomorokh

          --
          My SCA work: http://katrusha.blogspot.com/

          My artwork: http://arathreel.deviantart.com/

          My baked goods: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472661423252.251805.510143252&type=1&l=8fcf80877f

          Laura Munn AKA Katrusha the Skomorokh
          Artist
          Writer
          Baker
        • hithaelin
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
            There's also a Middle English poem De Tribus Regibus Mortuis (The Three Dead Kings, also called The Three Living and Three Dead Kings). It's in Thorlac Turville-Petre's "Alliterative Poetry of the Later Middle Ages: An Anthology". Basically, three living kings go hunting, get lost, and meet three walking corpses who identify themselves as the "fathers" of the three living kings. The three corpse-kings moralize at the three living ones and disappear when the sun rises.

            Kathleen of Bergental
          • Melinda
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
              Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
              recorded...
            • Frederick J. Hollander
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?

                "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
                The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
                and the King of Norway...."

                That one?

                On 2/10/2013 1:59 PM, Melinda wrote:
                > Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
                > recorded...

                & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
                ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
                ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
                -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---
              • Melinda
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                  That's the one. Not period, but it is a great song...

                  Melandra

                  > Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?
                  >
                  > "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
                  > The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
                  > and the King of Norway...."
                  >
                  > That one?
                  >
                  > On 2/10/2013 1:59 PM, Melinda wrote:
                  >> Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
                  >> recorded...

                  >> Shortcut URL to this page:
                  >>

                  > --
                  > & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
                  > ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
                  > ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
                  > -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---

                • rdeaver
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                    > We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead
                    > king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody
                    > got a lead I can chase?
                    >
                    > Ingeborg

                    Hard to go wrong with Kipling.

                    http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/dead_king.html

                    --
                    Mathurin
                    "Non nobis solum"
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013

                      One other possibility, if you've got some latitude, is to go with the Champion who sleeps until his country needs him again, a.la Holger Danske.

                      Sleeping Hero Legends
                      http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/sleep.html
                      "But the grandest thing to be seen there is the ancient Kronborg. And down deep inside, in a dark cellar where no one ever goes, sits Holger Danske. He is dressed in iron and steel, with his head resting on his strong arms. His long beard hangs over a marble table, into which it has grown. The knight sleeps and dreams, and in his dreams he sees everything that is happening above in Denmark. Every Christmas Eve an Angel of God comes and assures him that what he has dreamed is true, and that he can safely go back to sleep, because Denmark is in no real danger. But if danger ever does come, then old Holger Danske will arise, breaking the table in pieces as he pulls out his beard! And then he will come forward and strike out and be heard in all the lands of the earth."