Re: [SCA_BARDS] Dead kings

  • Hilla Hamasdohtor
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
      Beowulf begins with a dead king -- Scyld Scefing, and ends with a dead king -- Beowulf.
      Sent from my BlackBerry, because blackberries are magical fruit!

      From: "Stephen R. Melvin" <Rathflaed@...>
      Sender: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 18:06:39 -0600
      To: <SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA_BARDS] Dead kings

      I'm Hen-e-ry the Eighth I am...

      :)

      Ducking and running.

      -Rathflaed

      On 2/9/2013 2:38 PM, ingeborgulfsdottyr wrote:

      We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody got a lead I can chase?

      Ingeborg

    • Hilla Hamasdohtor
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
        Oh! Hamlet! Hamlet has a dead king!
        Sent from my BlackBerry, because blackberries are magical fruit!

        From: "Hilla Hamasdohtor" <hilla@...>
        Sender: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:09:39 +0000
        To: <SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com>

        From: "Stephen R. Melvin" <Rathflaed@...>
        Sender: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 18:06:39 -0600
        To: <SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com

        I'm Hen-e-ry the Eighth I am...

        :)

        Ducking and running.

        -Rathflaed

        On 2/9/2013 2:38 PM, ingeborgulfsdottyr wrote:

        We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody got a lead I can chase?

        Ingeborg

      • Frederick J. Hollander
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
          OK -- found it http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/sleep.html#Barbarossa It is
          not clear, however, if any of the tales are actually period (if it matters)

          Look for King under a mountain and you get a whole LOT of Tolkein.

          On 2/9/2013 12:38 PM, ingeborgulfsdottyr wrote:
          > We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody got a lead I can chase?
          >
          > Ingeborg

          & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
          ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
          ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
          -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---
        • Stephen R. Melvin
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
            Yonaton has a Storybook version of Hamlet and I've got Beowulf, of course.  :)  What about MacBeth?  I can hook you up there as well.

            -Rathflaed

            From: "Hilla Hamasdohtor" <hilla@...>
            Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:09:39 +0000

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
              Oooh, ooh!  And Hastings!

              -R

              From: "Hilla Hamasdohtor" <hilla@...>
              Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:09:39 +0000

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 08:38:35PM -0000, ingeborgulfsdottyr wrote:
                > We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody got a lead I can chase?

                Thomas Deloney's _Strange Histories_ has a bunch of ballads on various
                historical topics, many involving dead kings. Deloney used as a source
                the same history book series, Holinshed, that Shakespeare did.

                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/deloney/strange_histories/

                Dead kings in 4, 5, and 7.

                -- Gregory
              • Marc
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                  Ozzymandaias (sp?)

                  Mithgiladan
                • Aneleda Falconbridge
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                    The death of King Edward II is grisly and fantastical. (In poetry or in any other format.)

                    http://www.archive.org/stream/modernlangrevi16modeuoft/modernlangrevi16modeuoft_djvu.txt
                  • Laura Munn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                      I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but there is this fantastic Russian folk tale told by the peasants that has to do with a man who was to be king and he was killed. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I do know that he was later brought back to life and married to the woman who helped bring him back and because of his death it was obvious he was the true and proper king instead of his brother the imposter. There are a few interesting stories like that.

                      In The Primary Chronicles, there is also the story of the Prince who was ale to predict his own death.

                      I don't know if those help, but I can find that one story again if you are interested.

                      YiS,
                      Katrusha Skomorokh

                      --
                      My SCA work: http://katrusha.blogspot.com/

                      My artwork: http://arathreel.deviantart.com/

                      My baked goods: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472661423252.251805.510143252&type=1&l=8fcf80877f

                      Laura Munn AKA Katrusha the Skomorokh
                      Artist
                      Writer
                      Baker
                    • hithaelin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                        There's also a Middle English poem De Tribus Regibus Mortuis (The Three Dead Kings, also called The Three Living and Three Dead Kings). It's in Thorlac Turville-Petre's "Alliterative Poetry of the Later Middle Ages: An Anthology". Basically, three living kings go hunting, get lost, and meet three walking corpses who identify themselves as the "fathers" of the three living kings. The three corpse-kings moralize at the three living ones and disappear when the sun rises.

                        Kathleen of Bergental
                      • Melinda
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                          Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
                          recorded...
                        • Frederick J. Hollander
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                            Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?

                            "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
                            The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
                            and the King of Norway...."

                            That one?

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                              That's the one. Not period, but it is a great song...

                              Melandra

                              > Do you mean the Ballad of Three Kings by Poul Anderson?
                              >
                              > "Three Kings rode out on the road to Hell...
                              > The King of the Britons, the King of the Huns
                              > and the King of Norway...."
                              >
                              > That one?
                              >
                              > On 2/10/2013 1:59 PM, Melinda wrote:
                              >> Of course, there is always that song that Joe Bethancourt (Master Ioseph)
                              >> recorded...

                              >> Shortcut URL to this page:
                              >>

                              > --
                              > & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
                              > ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
                              > ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
                              > -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---

                            • rdeaver
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                                > We've got a competition coming up, and I need a story that involves a dead
                                > king. Preferably a dead one, as opposed to the death of one. Has anybody
                                > got a lead I can chase?
                                >
                                > Ingeborg

                                Hard to go wrong with Kipling.

                                http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/dead_king.html

                                --
                                Mathurin
                                "Non nobis solum"
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 15, 2013

                                  One other possibility, if you've got some latitude, is to go with the Champion who sleeps until his country needs him again, a.la Holger Danske.

                                  Sleeping Hero Legends
                                  http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/sleep.html
                                  "But the grandest thing to be seen there is the ancient Kronborg. And down deep inside, in a dark cellar where no one ever goes, sits Holger Danske. He is dressed in iron and steel, with his head resting on his strong arms. His long beard hangs over a marble table, into which it has grown. The knight sleeps and dreams, and in his dreams he sees everything that is happening above in Denmark. Every Christmas Eve an Angel of God comes and assures him that what he has dreamed is true, and that he can safely go back to sleep, because Denmark is in no real danger. But if danger ever does come, then old Holger Danske will arise, breaking the table in pieces as he pulls out his beard! And then he will come forward and strike out and be heard in all the lands of the earth."