Memorium - When The Shining Towers Fell

  • sabakakrazny
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2012
      When The Shining Towers Fell.

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      The sun rose bright, upon that day
      A day so beauteous and so clear
      And little on that lovely morn
      Did we know we'd soon have fear.

      For the day that started so fine
      Would darken by the noon
      And the terror that came upon us then
      Would haunt us come the moon.

      From far off land they did come then
      To bring to us a taste of doom
      And the City of York would have the blow
      Her people there to reel and swoon.

      And who would receive the coward's stroke?
      Not the soldiers, nor the host
      But the cityfolk who dwelled there
      Would be the ones who suffered most .

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      A small band it was, determined,
      To stand against our king
      They stood opposed to our way of life
      And every noble thing.

      Their way of war was not honest
      This small but hollow band
      Not soldier not knight would they kill
      Unless by unseen hand.

      The common folk were their tool
      And their children and their kin
      For killing all the common folk
      They did not regard a sin.

      And so they sought to slaughter
      And came to cross our shores
      And bring to us the fear of death
      To the steps of our very doors.

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      To the city of York, in common coach
      They came in stealthy wise
      With assassin hands they slew the crew
      While in that peaceful guise

      And the passengers they then held in bond,
      Their doom was now anigh
      And they smote our shining towers
      With deathblows from the sky!

      They struck the house that had five sides
      And sought to burn it too
      And many were the folk who fell that morn
      Countless thousands then they slew

      Another ship had been taken
      But forty brave souls would not yield,
      And like the warriors they would become
      Died heroes in a nameless field.

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      Who was braver? Who can say?
      The firemen, who into danger went?
      - Many died saving lives on that day -
      Or the many souls to heaven sent?

      But of the evil villains who did the deed,
      As if down a deepest well
      I hope that they have the final rest
      In the warmest part of hell.

      Our king swore oath, as did we all
      Vengeance we would surely have
      For such a foe we cannot stand
      And took no time our wounds to salve

      And though t'was long there came the time
      In some far off distant land
      Brave soldiers found their leaders fortress
      And he perished at their hand

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      But do not dwell upon those things,
      you see, for we must all live on.
      And the little band is still with us
      They hatred remains quite strong.

      And if we fight, still to this day
      Ten (eleven, twelve!) years though long have past
      When the thing is said and done
      We stand here to the last!

      Now we will visit that former place
      Where there's space unto the sky
      And we can see where the waters fall
      And the time will pass us by

      Tell the children that they will know
      Of the things that happened here
      That our lost ones will ne're be forgotten
      Remembered in all the later years….

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      For I still remember the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      Bran Buchanan
    • Frederick J. Hollander
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
        I wrote this only a week or so after the event. It has been
        unfortunately prophetic.

        -- Flieg

        I cried because my feet were aching
        Until I met a legless man
        I’ve dried my eyes a thousand times
        To see the best I can.
        I learned of sorrow with dry eyes
        On the day my father died
        But they killed four thousand innocents
        And my eyes still have not dried.

        For I saw the smoky banners
        And the second fiery crash
        And I saw the towers plummet
        In a sucking plume of ash.
        And these visions will stay with me
        ‘Til the very day I die
        And I always will remember
        How to cry.

        I’ve seen the begging homeless
        And I’ve given them some bread
        I‘ve spoken to a dying child
        As I stood beside his bed.
        And I thought I knew of pity
        And compassion for a friend.
        But I’ve tasted bitter hatred
        Now my tears will never end

        For I saw the smoky banners
        And the second …

        And now we have declared a war
        Against the ones who did this deed,
        We’ll scour terror from the earth
        In the name of home and creed.
        When I see the humble villages
        Where I know the bombs will fall
        I know that my poor eyes will cry
        For the horror of it all

        And I saw the smoky banners…

        Oh, God give us the wisdom
        To spare those who had no say
        And give us strength and courage
        That will last beyond this day
        And to those who lives are strange to us
        Let friendship spread her wings
        So that in some far-off future
        I can weep for greater things

        For I saw the smoky banners…

        --
        & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
        ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
          Thank you for posting this.
          I remember watching it on TV as it first broke - and it was so otherworldly I couldn't grasp it at first.

          Jenneth the Rindill
          bard of the picklebowl

          we unmade conversations
          our departure directions drifted
          facing east, we arrived in autumn
          each other breathless with
          eternally unannounced story endings
        • jenny tavernier
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
            And thank you for this too!

            I am passing both of these to my neighbor, who moved here after losing a son to it, still grieves.

             Jenneth the Rindill
            Bard of the pickle bowl

            the memory grain
            grows the memory skein