RE: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Update concerning Bards by Day & Night books

  • Mark Cipra
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012

      I haven't been back to A&S Point, but I can tell you they're no longer at Information Point.

      I'll see if I can get a copy printed at Mystic Mail. Having a copy at the Collegium is a great idea.

      We don't get started until Monday,  (and only runa couple hours a day) so having other copies around is vital.

      Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)

      __

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
        I'm glad to help out where I can. I will try to have copies available at the House Highrafters encampment in E03, but that is subject to the older and wiser heads there.

        I gather from what's been said that this has been an issue in the past. May I ask, why is there a problem with making the book available at Information Point?

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Cipra" <cipram@...> wrote:

        > I haven't been back to A&S Point, but I can tell you they're no longer at
        > Information Point.
        >

        > I'll see if I can get a copy printed at Mystic Mail. Having a copy at the
        > Collegium is a great idea.
        >

        > We don't get started until Monday, (and only runa couple hours a day) so
        > having other copies around is vital.
        >

        > Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)
        >
        > __
        >
        > "When in doubt, end with a jig" - Robin McCauley

      • Michael Greenstein
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
          > I gather from what's been said that this has been an issue in the
          past. May I ask, why is there a problem with making the book available
          at Information Point?

          Consider asking that very question at Information Point. Consider
          asking the Pennsic Mayor, who keeps office hours at the Watch tent from
          9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Let your voices be heard! In the meantime, much
          though I disagree with his position, I offer you the words of the Mayor
          of Pennsic 41 on the subject:

          "I do appreciate your interest in getting information out to the
          attendees. The problem is that these are privately planned and hosted
          events. As such, Pennsic as an organization, cannot endorse or encourage
          it. We certainly don't discourage these activities as they are a part of
          what people have come to expect from the people that attend, but they
          are not Pennsic sponsored, planned, or organized."

          Speaking personally (and admittedly, with something of an axe to grind),
          it seems to me that an artificial distinction been made. On one hand we
          have a performer on the Pennsic stage (official) and the same performer
          around a Pennsic campfire (private). An uncertified teacher working
          with blades or heat may be promoted at Information Point, the
          Eastrealm/Midrealm invitational bardic exhibition may not.

          The Mayor has expressed a willingness to discuss the matter with me
          further in person, but he has given me reason to believe that this
          "discussion" is more likely to be a patiently-rendered explanation of
          why the books do not belong with the "official" Pennsic informational
          resources, than a willingness on his part to be persuaded toward a more
          inclusive viewpoint.

          Where does that leave us? More to the point, where does that leave the
          books?

          I surely wish I knew.

          - Michael
        • Rick Greene
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
            It may just be a matter of the authority/responsibility being accepted by the Pennsic organizers, and they not wanting to do so previously because they A) are already hugely overworked and B) don't know the community or material.

            Perhaps an offer to add a volunteer to the official Pennsic staff to take on this workload (which is already being done) and adjust things to come in line with whatever Pennsic policies govern stuff being listed in official sources.

            I do question his "privately planned and hosted" comment as being the limiting factor, as there are sometimes official Pennsic classes which are held in private camps instead of the usual A&S tents.

            Wormwood

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
              Update from the Pennsic Mayor: "I have verified your book is in the
              posession of the point and available for you to pick up anytime." I get
              the impression that they have gone from trying to find a place for it,
              to simply washing their hands.

              I plan to be on site later today. I will inquire further, and post an
              update.

              I am considering putting them on the table in the Bathhouse. What do
              people think?

              - Michael
            • Kate Braithwaite
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
                Why not talk to the wonderful folk at the dance tent?  They are open while we are playing - usually from about 9:00 a.m. to about midnight.  Tell them the Widow Kate suggested that they might help with this.  They could just be out on a table with their dance scripts.  I will warrant to check up on them every day if needs be since I will be camping with Clan Dancehorse which is running the dance tent.

                Widow Kate