Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Update concerning Bards by Day & Night books

  • Michael Greenstein
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2012
      I leave for War on Wednesday morning, so I don't anticipate any pre-printed updates after that.  I will announce an updated copy, if I receive any new information.  Up to now, I have received no updates from anyone, so the copy you have remains the most current one.

      - Michael

      On 7/31/12 12:39 PM, cjburke_99 wrote:

      Will you be uploading an updated copy between now and Thursday evening? If so, I will wait till then to run copies.

      And to save both paper and weight, I will only print the pages for Saturday 8/4 through the end of war, as I won't have them available at site until late on Friday.

      Yours in Service,
      Drago Pelekanos
      "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

    • Mark Cipra
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012

        I haven't been back to A&S Point, but I can tell you they're no longer at Information Point.

        I'll see if I can get a copy printed at Mystic Mail. Having a copy at the Collegium is a great idea.

        We don't get started until Monday,  (and only runa couple hours a day) so having other copies around is vital.

        Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)

        __

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
          I'm glad to help out where I can. I will try to have copies available at the House Highrafters encampment in E03, but that is subject to the older and wiser heads there.

          I gather from what's been said that this has been an issue in the past. May I ask, why is there a problem with making the book available at Information Point?

          Yours in Service,
          Dragos Pelekanos

          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Cipra" <cipram@...> wrote:

          > I haven't been back to A&S Point, but I can tell you they're no longer at
          > Information Point.
          >

          > I'll see if I can get a copy printed at Mystic Mail. Having a copy at the
          > Collegium is a great idea.
          >

          > We don't get started until Monday, (and only runa couple hours a day) so
          > having other copies around is vital.
          >

          > Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)
          >
          > __
          >
          > "When in doubt, end with a jig" - Robin McCauley

        • Michael Greenstein
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
            > I gather from what's been said that this has been an issue in the
            past. May I ask, why is there a problem with making the book available
            at Information Point?

            Consider asking that very question at Information Point. Consider
            asking the Pennsic Mayor, who keeps office hours at the Watch tent from
            9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Let your voices be heard! In the meantime, much
            though I disagree with his position, I offer you the words of the Mayor
            of Pennsic 41 on the subject:

            "I do appreciate your interest in getting information out to the
            attendees. The problem is that these are privately planned and hosted
            events. As such, Pennsic as an organization, cannot endorse or encourage
            it. We certainly don't discourage these activities as they are a part of
            what people have come to expect from the people that attend, but they
            are not Pennsic sponsored, planned, or organized."

            Speaking personally (and admittedly, with something of an axe to grind),
            it seems to me that an artificial distinction been made. On one hand we
            have a performer on the Pennsic stage (official) and the same performer
            around a Pennsic campfire (private). An uncertified teacher working
            with blades or heat may be promoted at Information Point, the
            Eastrealm/Midrealm invitational bardic exhibition may not.

            The Mayor has expressed a willingness to discuss the matter with me
            further in person, but he has given me reason to believe that this
            "discussion" is more likely to be a patiently-rendered explanation of
            why the books do not belong with the "official" Pennsic informational
            resources, than a willingness on his part to be persuaded toward a more
            inclusive viewpoint.

            Where does that leave us? More to the point, where does that leave the
            books?

            I surely wish I knew.

            - Michael
          • Rick Greene
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
              It may just be a matter of the authority/responsibility being accepted by the Pennsic organizers, and they not wanting to do so previously because they A) are already hugely overworked and B) don't know the community or material.

              Perhaps an offer to add a volunteer to the official Pennsic staff to take on this workload (which is already being done) and adjust things to come in line with whatever Pennsic policies govern stuff being listed in official sources.

              I do question his "privately planned and hosted" comment as being the limiting factor, as there are sometimes official Pennsic classes which are held in private camps instead of the usual A&S tents.

              Wormwood

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
                Update from the Pennsic Mayor: "I have verified your book is in the
                posession of the point and available for you to pick up anytime." I get
                the impression that they have gone from trying to find a place for it,
                to simply washing their hands.

                I plan to be on site later today. I will inquire further, and post an
                update.

                I am considering putting them on the table in the Bathhouse. What do
                people think?

                - Michael
              • Kate Braithwaite
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
                  Why not talk to the wonderful folk at the dance tent?  They are open while we are playing - usually from about 9:00 a.m. to about midnight.  Tell them the Widow Kate suggested that they might help with this.  They could just be out on a table with their dance scripts.  I will warrant to check up on them every day if needs be since I will be camping with Clan Dancehorse which is running the dance tent.

                  Widow Kate