Re: Bards Garb Vendors?

  • LoriO
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2012
      Ah, so you're probably looking at Renaissance or Elizabethan.

      Mostly you'll find loose shirts worn with a doublet (sleeves optional for the doublet, depending on your comfort and the effect you're going for), and knee-length pants with hose or long socks. Many guys, when first getting into this style, don't care for the knee pants and prefer to wear long pants in tall boots. This style looks dashing and works just fine for general SCA purposes.

      I've never ordered from them, but this site has a nice array of looks:
      http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Mens%20Clothing%20for%20Sale.html

      Happy hunting!
      Morgan

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bohlman <richard.bohlman@...> wrote:

      > That my friend is what I'm not sure of as of this date.
      >
      > I was hoping to find some vendors and look through their wares.
      >
      > I  play Alto Recorder and mostly scores from the mid 1500's, so most likley around that period.
      >
      >  In Service to Gleann Abhann and  the IronOx
      > ~Rikhardr inn Vegandi Svansson~
      > Web Minister
      > Iron Ox
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Richard Bohlman

        Ah, so you're probably looking at Renaissance or Elizabethan.

        Mostly you'll find loose shirts worn with a doublet (sleeves optional for the doublet, depending on your comfort and the effect you're going for), and knee-length pants with hose or long socks. Many guys, when first getting into this style, don't care for the knee pants and prefer to wear long pants in tall boots. This style looks dashing and works just fine for general SCA purposes.

        I've never ordered from them, but this site has a nice array of looks:
        http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Mens%20Clothing%20for%20Sale.html

        Happy hunting!
        Morgan

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bohlman <richard.bohlman@...> wrote:

        > That my friend is what I'm not sure of as of this date.
        >
        > I was hoping to find some vendors and look through their wares.
        >
        > I  play Alto Recorder and mostly scores from the mid 1500's, so most likley around that period.
        >
        >  In Service to Gleann Abhann and  the IronOx
        > ~Rikhardr inn Vegandi Svansson~
        > Web Minister
        > Iron Ox
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Leah Raedaelf of Pagham
        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2012
          Greetings Rikhardr,

          I looked at you poll and am one of the no votes for a specific reason other than looking bardly. You mentioned playing a stringed instrument.
          The puffy sleeve thing dangles into the strings in my experience with guitar and sleeves, so you need a way to keep the right sleeve contained.

          Best wishes to you,
          Leah Raedaelf of Pagham
          Kingdom of the West

          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bohlman <richard.bohlman@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for all the suggestions and vendor ideas everyone!
          >
          > Now I've got some things to look over and a direction to head in!!!!!
          >
          >  In Service to Gleann Abhann and  the Iron  Ox
          > ~Rikhardr inn Vegandi Svansson~
          > Web Minister
          > Iron Ox

        • Stephen Melvin
          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2012
            Laces work well, to tie up the sleeve, and a bracer will also work to cover it.  Try juggling with a Norman tunic.  The long "skirt" makes the under-the-leg throw a little dicey.  :)

            -Rathflaed

            To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
            From: leah1066@...
            Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 00:35:11 +0000