Re: [SCA_BARDS] "Born on the Listfield" again...

  • Drew Nicholson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2012
      FWIW, I learned it from a recording.  If there's a proscription, it was against paper, not recordings.

      Ka is a wheel.
      http://gplus.to/dwer
      http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/drewishdrewid/Matthew_25_31-45.jpg

      On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM, <tsivia@...> wrote:

      Ok.
      I thought I remembered that SOMEONE here had talked to Master Ivan (Ivar?)
      Battleskald, author of "Born on the Listfield" and that he did NOT have a
      particular issue with his song being printed, or NOT printed.

      This topic has yet again kicked up its head on my kingdom's e-list since
      apparently someone found a version of this on ....wait for it...

      I-TUNES!

      No idea who sang it. Posting individual didn't indicate this.

      So. Here we go again bardic-types. Can anyone answer the old "not in
      print", "not on paper", "only to be learnt from person to person" debate
      on this song??

      <<SIGH>> I was pretty sure someone who knew the author had definitively
      answered this in the last year or two.

      TSivia (Ealdormere)

    • kataryna_dragonweaver
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2012
        Hi TSivia,
        Here is the first message in the old discussion on this list
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_BARDS/message/8202

        (I know that Master Ivar Battleskald actually posted here via someone regarding the song and I suspect it's in the above discussion)

        and my old write up about it
        http://bards.avacal.net/SongBook/SP01.html

        There are a whole bunch of YouTube postings from across the known world with a number of tunes and word changes, because at one time someone asked for versions for a report and a number of folks in different areas made YouTube recordings.

        The prosciption at this point seems to be about writing it down not recording it.
        -Katayna