Minstrels' Gallery and Bardic Challenge at Masque of Courtly Love, Midrealm

  • ursula.widow
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2012
      Once again this year, the Masque of Courtly Love (Alderford, Midrealm, Feb. 18) will feature the Minstrels' Gallery. In an intimate venue, several performers from the region will entertain throughout the afternoon. It's a wonderful place to sit and relax for a few minutes or a few hours.

      The show will also include the event challenge from our Kingdom bards, Lady Juliane and Lord Llywelyn. The challenge is open to all; details follow the schedule.

      The Minstrels' Gallery performances will run continuously from 11:30 a.m. until roughly 4:30 p.m. Join us!

      Inquiries to ursula@...

      Minstrels' Gallery Order of Play

      OPENING: Lord Donalbane of Blakmers, Brendoken Bardic Champion
      Lady Kateryn Draper
      North Oaken Recorder Ensemble

      CHALLENGE 1 PM

      Lady Ursula the Widow
      Harp Strings [milord Dennis, Lady Ceit and friends]
      Lady Brihid Seanchain
      THL Brendan O'Corraighe

      CLOSING ACT: Kingdom Bardic Co-Champions Lady Juliane Beauchamp and Lord Llywelyn Glyndwr

      Interval music: Lady Matilda Harper

      The Challenge:
      In its sixteenth year, Masque comes to maturity (in the Middle Ages, many young women were already mothers by this age). In this spirit, the Kingdom Bardic Champions present to the populace this challenge: Bring us a song, tale, tune (or any other entertainment) on the glories or grief of growing up, growing wiser, or growing old.
    • Alaxandr MacLochloinn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2012
        Thank you Justin:

        Once upon a time, there was a gent known as Vis (Duke Vissevald Selkirksson nowadays, but this was a bit before that), who went to work in the service of his Uncle Sam for a while. And Vis was sent off to be given the Basic Training of his new profession. One day, not long into said Training, he found himself in a line, with many other fellows in the same boat, being given the usual grilling by his Serjeant. The topic of the day was the use of a device known affectionately as the "pugil-stick", basically a rod intended for the purpose of pummeling. And the Serjeant was demonstrating the proper use of the stick, by pulling "volunteers" out of the line, handing them a stick, and using one himself to lay them low. And so it came to pass that it was Vis' turn to "volunteer". And he was handed a stick, swung it once or twice, and realized that this would not be as much of a trial for him as for the others. And the Serjeant went at him -- and was much surprised to find himself on the ground. Thinking it a fluke, the Serjeant tried again, with the same results. Thrice in all did the Serjeant attempt to gain the advantage over our man, only to find himself flat on his tuchus. Now, the gentleman in the tower above them was a worldly sort, who had encountered emissaries from our Kingdoms before. Noting Vis' inimitable style, he called down to the Serjeant, "Hey, ask him if he's in something called the SCA." The Serjeant leaned over to Vis, and shortly yelled back, "He says that he is. What's that mean?" The fellow in the tower said, "Means you can't beat him." Whereupon Vis tapped the Serjeant on the shoulder, and spoke to him a moment more. The Serjeant called up to the tower, "He's says he's a Knight. What's *that* mean?" Sayeth the tower, "Means *they* can't beat him, either." -- Justin du Coeur Accumulator of Tales

        Duke Vissevald Selkirksson, 14th Tyger of the East.
        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=252532731434104&set=a.252531854767525.61245.100000321364868&type=3&theater

      • Anjuli
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2012
          I've always liked that story...

          On 1/28/2012 9:36 PM, Alaxandr MacLochloinn wrote:

          > Thank you Justin:
          >
          > Once upon a time, there was a gent known as Vis (Duke Vissevald Selkirksson
          > nowadays, but this was a bit before that), who went to work in the service
          > of his Uncle Sam for a while. And Vis was sent off to be given the Basic
          > Training of his new profession.
          >
          > One day, not long into said Training, he found himself in a line, with many
          > other fellows in the same boat, being given the usual grilling by his
          > Serjeant. The topic of the day was the use of a device known affectionately
          > as the "pugil-stick", basically a rod intended for the purpose of
          > pummeling. And the Serjeant was demonstrating the proper use of the stick,
          > by pulling "volunteers" out of the line, handing them a stick, and using
          > one himself to lay them low.
          >
          > And so it came to pass that it was Vis' turn to "volunteer". And he was
          > handed a stick, swung it once or twice, and realized that this would not
          > be as much of a trial for him as for the others. And the Serjeant went
          > at him -- and was much surprised to find himself on the ground. Thinking
          > it a fluke, the Serjeant tried again, with the same results. Thrice in
          > all did the Serjeant attempt to gain the advantage over our man, only to
          > find himself flat on his tuchus.
          >
          > Now, the gentleman in the tower above them was a worldly sort, who had
          > encountered emissaries from our Kingdoms before. Noting Vis' inimitable
          > style, he called down to the Serjeant, "Hey, ask him if he's in something
          > called the SCA."
          >
          > The Serjeant leaned over to Vis, and shortly yelled back, "He says that
          > he is. What's that mean?"
          >
          > The fellow in the tower said, "Means you can't beat him."
          >
          > Whereupon Vis tapped the Serjeant on the shoulder, and spoke to him a
          > moment more. The Serjeant called up to the tower, "He's says he's a
          > Knight. What's *that* mean?"
          >
          > Sayeth the tower, "Means *they* can't beat him, either."
          >
          > -- Justin du Coeur
          > Accumulator of Tales
          >

          > Duke Vissevald Selkirksson, 14th Tyger of the East.
          > http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=252532731434104&set=a.252531854767525.61245.100000321364868&type=3&theater

        • Stephen R. Melvin