Wherein Does Your Glory Lie?

  • sabakakrazny
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2012
      a bit of musing. Enjoy!

      Wherein does your glory lie?
      In the feasthall's boast or your daughters sigh?
      In the swaying of the wheat,
      Or upon the tourney field?

      Do you fight for battle's fame?
      To win renown or money's gain?
      Or to stand shoulder to shoulder
      Beside your brothers shield?

      Once were two men brave and true
      Bold as and brass, strong as yew
      And both held oaths and full well knew
      The ways of horse and martial styles.

      But between them there were differing ways
      Which was better, who can say?
      This is the question we ask this day
      So ponder these words, if only for a little while.

      One man mighty in the lists
      In tiltyards grounds or tourney's trysts
      He fought so well and fiercely brisk
      And in such glory all men knew his name

      For honor and treasure he had no lack
      Each knight bested gained him tack
      Armor and weapons were ransomed back
      And ever he fought and sought more fame

      One man mighty, in landed wise
      Always ready to ease his children's cries
      Ever his serfs and townsmen pride
      He was their lord, glad to call their own

      When the king went forth, on crusades
      It was he at home who then remained
      To guide his people he had stayed
      He held his fealty guarding home.

      Invaders came to the kingdoms lands
      Bringing fires to every strand
      Killing all who made a stand
      They came, and stained the ground with blood

      One knight grimly rode to battles roar
      With levies behind and foe before
      And marching met them on the shore
      And fought them in the grassy mud.

      "Hold your ground, shield to shield,
      Let them see no fear and never yield!
      And I shall stand with you on this field,
      We hold this shore for our kinsmen and our wives!"

      They fought there for half the day
      Shoulder to shoulder in that fray
      And the knight's word held true they say
      Staying with them fighting for their lives.

      Another knight, and with his troop
      Gathered in time, and did regroup
      For there would be a great gift of loot
      And stories the bards would sing!

      They spurred their mounts with a cry
      And upon the field there by and by
      They rode upon the foemen like a tide
      And then the shields did ring!

      "Come now men, glory waits ahead!
      We'll have renown that all foe will dread!
      Heroes all, and our enemies dead,
      Our courage none shall dare deny!"

      Well, the short of it was it went bad
      The raiders perished, but before they had
      They took many a life and brave young lad
      Before they fell and all had died.

      One knight gained him booty great
      And his fame did grow, and not abate
      Indeed, his name is heard of late
      And he's a darling of the crown

      Gold and fame is his even still
      All admire his name and skill
      And many are the lads who often will
      Seek to be his pages or his squire

      Another knight quietly rests this day
      At the head of a field, where children play
      And they put flowers upon his grave
      And trim the grass as is required

      The fields stretch out before his feet
      Swaying in the breeze is golden wheat
      And his pillow is the roots of an old oak tree
      Where his wife will come to rest

      He has no place beside the throne
      Only a simple, cold mossy stone
      And men in the village taverns room
      Toast him still, and remember him best.

      For both have fame, in each their way
      Both remembered from day to day
      And who was the better, I won't say –
      Could you, if someone asked?

      Which knight do you strive to be?
      Both were good men it seemed to me
      And both had courage and chivalry
      When the time came that they were tasked

      So herein lies the thing I ponder
      It causes me sometimes to wonder
      These two men, of courage and honor
      Were knights true, this none can or should deny-

      But which, I wonder, is the key?
      The reason they fought, to what degree
      Is truly the face of chivalry?
      Is it the action, or the why?

      So ponder this, and I ask again…..

      Wherein does your glory lie?
      In the feasthall's boast or your daughters sigh?
      In the swaying of the wheat,
      Or upon the tourney field?

      Do you fight for battle's fame?
      To win renown or money's gain?
      Or to stand shoulder to shoulder
      Beside your brothers shield?

      Bran Buchanan
    • Aneleda Falconbridge
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2012
        This sentiment is absolutely lovely. Nicely done. - aneleda
      • Keely
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2012
          A thought provoking and moving piece. Very, very nice!

          Keely