R I P Anne McCaffrey

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2011
      It is a much darker world we live in today

      http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45409015/ns/today-books/

      May her memory remain in the colors of the fire lizards and dragons she left us

      Mithgiladan
    • jenny tavernier
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2011
        I heard almost immediately from Jane Yolan. this afternoon. I have loved her and her books (which I have all, and re-read alot!) - and hope she chooses to come back as a real ghostwriter - whispering and dictating in someone's ear. Her son will carry the torch, I'm sure, but Anne is indeed a legend, and hope she gets her own star in the sky....

        Jen

        I have an ancient tongue
        long memories in my rucksack
        here in the last refuge
        I am leaves dancing
        jht

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2011
           Jane Yolen posted this - From her son Todd - thought you would all like to see -
          This is how Todd MCCaffrey told of his mother's death. A lovely farewell: At about 5 p.m. Monday November 21st, 2011, Anne McCaffrey passed away. Mum was getting ready to go back to the hospital because she was feeling "puny" and collapsed while she was moving into her wheelchair. Her daughter, Georgeanne Kennedy, and son-in-law, Geoffrey Kennedy were with her. She was in no pain and it was over in an instant. She first had a heart attack in late 2000 and a stroke in 2001, so we were well-prepared and knew that we were on "golden time" with Mum these past ten years and more. She leaves behind an incredible legacy of marvelous books and a huge legion of fans. She won practically every major award in available to authors of science fiction and fantasy, including both Hugo and Nebula Awards, the American Library Association's Margaret A. Edwards award for Lifetime Literary achievement in Young Adult fiction, was an inductee into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame, and was a SFWA Nebula Grandmaster. She was also a great cook, magnificent mother, doting grandmother, ardent quilter, knitter, bridge player, horsewoman, fencer, actress, singer, and all-around nice person. We are blessed to have known her, just as we are blessed with the knowledge that she has touched so many lives and made such huge changes in them. Mum always said, "Don't just pay back a favor -- pass it on!" In light of that spirit, we ask that, instead of condolences or flowers, that commemorators make a donation to their favorite charity. We know that we haven't lost Mum -- that she has truly passed on her legacy of love and honor to all those who were touched by her -- and that we have only to open one of her books to find her again. Rest well, Mum, you've earned it!

          -

        • mathurin@gladiusinfractus.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2011
            > It is a much darker world we live in today
            >
            > http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45409015/ns/today-books/

            I sat on a hotel bed with Anne and a dozen other people at a FoolCon 30+
            years ago. She was a force of nature.

            --
            Mathurin
            "Non nobis solum"