TSivia found a bardic treasure while 2nd hand shopping!

  • tsivia@uottawa.ca
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
      YES I DID...and I need to squee to someone who "gets it"!!!

      (This despite the fact that twenty-somethings tell me that it is
      undignified for a 54 year old woman to "squee"....HAH!)

      As some of you know, I"ve been fighting *THE* battle in the SCA for the
      better part of 35 years now...that current middle ages music IS a period
      genre, that what I (and many of us) do is period FOLK music, NOT Court
      music <rolls eyes>...

      And what did I find for $4.00 at a 2nd hand store here in
      Ottawa/Caldrithig today???

      "Musica Sveciae: Folk Music in Sweden - DEN MEDELTIDA BALLADEN (The
      Medieval Ballad)"!!! It's two cds full of music from Sweden which can be
      DOCUMENTED into the Middle Ages and is neither religious, nor court,
      music. It's accompanied with TWO full booklets of information in Swedish
      AND ENGLISH about what the English-language crowd refers to as "popular
      ballads" - even the jocular category! The TWO booklets offer a little
      notated music (not much) and a good scholarly discussion about the
      periodicity of the words vs music (and of course we all agree that dating
      the music is EXTREMELY difficult and we're stuck with simplistic things
      such as modal vs. modern keys, etc. etc.), and so much more.

      Really. I don't understand Swedish...but I'm beside myself with happiness
      over finding this gem. It's how I got into Scandinavian 12th century
      ring-ballad dance research along with Countess Brynhildr Kormaksdottir in
      the 1970s - documenting the folk-genre of period music. And the cover of
      the CD set features the ring-dancers from a church in Sweden (about 1325
      or so) which also documents what Bryna and I call the "Faeroe Island
      hand-hold" - period, unique, and STILL USED in the Faeroes to this day!

      The entire SERIES sounds awesome beyond belief: Traditional Folk Music,
      Folk Tunes from Orsa and Alvdalen, Nordic Folk Instruments, Yoik: A
      Presentation of Sami Folk Music [I WANT!!!] and a bunch more stuff to make
      you drool....

      WHOOO HEEE! <grin> CAP22035 - Caprice Records 1995.

      Ok. I will stop squeeing....If I HAVE to!

      <grin>
      TSivia
    • Frederick J. Hollander
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
        Xerox??? Scan??? Please???

        On 9/21/2011 1:37 AM, tsivia@... wrote:
        > YES I DID...and I need to squee to someone who "gets it"!!!
        >
        > (This despite the fact that twenty-somethings tell me that it is
        > undignified for a 54 year old woman to "squee"....HAH!)
        >
        > As some of you know, I"ve been fighting *THE* battle in the SCA for the
        > better part of 35 years now...that current middle ages music IS a period
        > genre, that what I (and many of us) do is period FOLK music, NOT Court
        > music<rolls eyes>...
        >
        > And what did I find for $4.00 at a 2nd hand store here in
        > Ottawa/Caldrithig today???
        >
        > "Musica Sveciae: Folk Music in Sweden - DEN MEDELTIDA BALLADEN (The
        > Medieval Ballad)"!!! It's two cds full of music from Sweden which can be
        > DOCUMENTED into the Middle Ages and is neither religious, nor court,
        > music. It's accompanied with TWO full booklets of information in Swedish
        > AND ENGLISH about what the English-language crowd refers to as "popular
        > ballads" - even the jocular category! The TWO booklets offer a little
        > notated music (not much) and a good scholarly discussion about the
        > periodicity of the words vs music (and of course we all agree that dating
        > the music is EXTREMELY difficult and we're stuck with simplistic things
        > such as modal vs. modern keys, etc. etc.), and so much more.
        >
        > Really. I don't understand Swedish...but I'm beside myself with happiness
        > over finding this gem. It's how I got into Scandinavian 12th century
        > ring-ballad dance research along with Countess Brynhildr Kormaksdottir in
        > the 1970s - documenting the folk-genre of period music. And the cover of
        > the CD set features the ring-dancers from a church in Sweden (about 1325
        > or so) which also documents what Bryna and I call the "Faeroe Island
        > hand-hold" - period, unique, and STILL USED in the Faeroes to this day!
        >
        > The entire SERIES sounds awesome beyond belief: Traditional Folk Music,
        > Folk Tunes from Orsa and Alvdalen, Nordic Folk Instruments, Yoik: A
        > Presentation of Sami Folk Music [I WANT!!!] and a bunch more stuff to make
        > you drool....
        >
        > WHOOO HEEE!<grin> CAP22035 - Caprice Records 1995.
        >
        > Ok. I will stop squeeing....If I HAVE to!
        >
        > <grin>
        > TSivia

        & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
        ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
        ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
        -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---
      • jenny tavernier
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
          Oh! I am squeeing too! I totally know where you are coming from!
           I found out about ring dancing origins - (they were saying France! NOT!!!!) LOL! researching through a totally cool article (on my other computer) that led me through Norway, Scandinavia, and to the Faroes, where, by the way, there are some juicy dancing singing with translation vids on youtube, of 'now" Faroese doing some great ballads and chain/ringdancing! I was SOOOOOO HOOKED! Go around humming it ALL the time! (I am an addict, like you!)

          Love what you found! Great for OUR music!!!!!!!

          Thank you for sqeeing! Here is my favorite!

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofDarAZj-8M&feature=related

          Jennth Rindill
          Bard of the Pickle Bowl

          Laughing,
          Captain and King
          flew over the waves
          hunting to catch the mooncoin
          sliding into the sea
          jht

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
              On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 04:37:23 -0400 (EDT), tsivia@... wrote:
              >... "popular
              > ballads" - even the jocular category!

              Jocularity, jocularity!
            • Greg Lindahl
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:18:37AM -0700, jenny tavernier wrote:

                >  I found out about ring dancing origins - (they were saying France! NOT!!!!)

                I'd be interested in what hard evidence could be found outside of
                medieval France. Here is a good, recent summary of what is known:

                The Carole: A Study of a Medieval Dance
                Robert Mullally
                http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&pageSubject=0&calcTitle=1&title_id=10228&edition_id=13526&lang=cy-GB
                ISBN 978-1-4094-1248-9

                -- Gregory
              • mathurin@gladiusinfractus.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                  > YES I DID...and I need to squee to someone who "gets it"!!!

                  And let the choir say "SQUEE!" :-)

                  --
                  Mathurin
                  "Non nobis solum"
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                    Gods of all Stars!

                    The Carole: A Study of a Medieval Dance
                    Extent: 172 pages
                    Binding: Hardback
                    ISBN: 978-1-4094-1248-9
                    Price : $99.95 » Website price: $89.96 <<<<<!!!!!!

                    Like their own work much???

                    I'll wait for the paperback...

                    On 9/21/2011 11:11 AM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
                    > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:18:37AM -0700, jenny tavernier wrote:
                    >
                    >> I found out about ring dancing origins - (they were saying France! NOT!!!!)
                    >
                    > I'd be interested in what hard evidence could be found outside of
                    > medieval France. Here is a good, recent summary of what is known:
                    >
                    > The Carole: A Study of a Medieval Dance
                    > Robert Mullally
                    > http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&pageSubject=0&calcTitle=1&title_id=10228&edition_id=13526&lang=cy-GB
                    > ISBN 978-1-4094-1248-9
                    >
                    > -- Gregory

                    & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
                    ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
                    ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
                    -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---
                  • bryan gibson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                      wau, that's just a trifle steep...

                      Bran Buchanan

                      To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
                      From: flieg@...
                      Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:09:41 -0700

                      Gods of all Stars!

                      The Carole: A Study of a Medieval Dance
                      Extent: 172 pages
                      Binding: Hardback
                      ISBN: 978-1-4094-1248-9
                      Price : $99.95 » Website price: $89.96 <<<<<!!!!!!

                      Like their own work much???

                      I'll wait for the paperback...

                      On 9/21/2011 11:11 AM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
                      > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:18:37AM -0700, jenny tavernier wrote:
                      >
                      >> I found out about ring dancing origins - (they were saying France! NOT!!!!)
                      >
                      > I'd be interested in what hard evidence could be found outside of
                      > medieval France. Here is a good, recent summary of what is known:
                      >
                      > The Carole: A Study of a Medieval Dance
                      > Robert Mullally
                      > http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&pageSubject=0&calcTitle=1&title_id=10228&edition_id=13526&lang=cy-GB
                      > ISBN 978-1-4094-1248-9
                      >
                      > -- Gregory

                      & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
                      ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...
                      ========= http://flieg.horanda.com/ <<--New
                      -- A crank ------- Old Used Duke ------- not a tool ---

                    • Claire S
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                        SQUEE!!! There's the Digital Internet Archive of AMedieval Music which has European manuscripts from many digitized library sources (DIAMM). Also try Googleing "Women's Medieval Circle Dances" for info and manuscript sources, links etc. There is also Alibris,an online book search site with which you can see if there is more than one bookseller carrying the book you are looking for and is also very usefull for compareing prices! I've also found Alibris very usefull for seeing if there is a vbook about whatever I'm researching and have had a very good experience using Alibris listed booksellers.

                        Have fun!!! :-D
                        Aleksis
                        "Ahhh, the folly of youth" ;-p

                        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@...> wrote:

                        > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:18:37AM -0700, jenny tavernier wrote:
                        >
                        > >  I found out about ring dancing origins - (they were saying France! NOT!!!!)
                        >
                        > I'd be interested in what hard evidence could be found outside of
                        > medieval France. Here is a good, recent summary of what is known:
                        >
                        > The Carole: A Study of a Medieval Dance
                        > Robert Mullally
                        > http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&pageSubject=0&calcTitle=1&title_id=10228&edition_id=13526&lang=cy-GB
                        > ISBN 978-1-4094-1248-9
                        >
                        > -- Gregory

                      • Claire S
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                          OOPS

                          That should be : Digital Image Archive of Medieval Music (DIAMM) sorry about that Chief!

                          There also is "Internet Archive" www.archive.org which is a free online gook,music,etc. service)I've only looked up books so far....no music yet) which you can read the books online.... I've found a copy of La Roman de Merlin.......

                          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Claire S" <wyldeharpe@...> wrote:

                          > SQUEE!!! There's the Digital Internet Archive of AMedieval Music which has European manuscripts from many digitized library sources (DIAMM). Also try Googleing "Women's Medieval Circle Dances" for info and manuscript sources, links etc. There is also Alibris,an online book search site with which you can see if there is more than one bookseller carrying the book you are looking for and is also very usefull for compareing prices! I've also found Alibris very usefull for seeing if there is a vbook about whatever I'm researching and have had a very good experience using Alibris listed booksellers.
                          >
                          > Have fun!!! :-D
                          > Aleksis
                          > "Ahhh, the folly of youth" ;-p
                          >
                          > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:18:37AM -0700, jenny tavernier wrote:
                          > >
                          > > >  I found out about ring dancing origins - (they were saying France! NOT!!!!)
                          > >
                          > > I'd be interested in what hard evidence could be found outside of
                          > > medieval France. Here is a good, recent summary of what is known:
                          > >
                          > > The Carole: A Study of a Medieval Dance
                          > > Robert Mullally
                          > > http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&pageSubject=0&calcTitle=1&title_id=10228&edition_id=13526&lang=cy-GB
                          > > ISBN 978-1-4094-1248-9
                          > >
                          > > -- Gregory

                        • Greg Lindahl
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                            I have a large number of ballad-related books in the Internet Archive
                            linked here:

                            http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/

                            -- Gregory

                          • tsivia@uottawa.ca
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 21, 2011
                              Flieg asked:
                              > Xerox??? Scan??? Please???

                              I don't have access to a scanner...but will look into getting the bookets
                              photocopied and ask about someone scanning it in for me...

                              'Cause I love you all! <Grin>
                              TSivia
                            • jenny tavernier
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 22, 2011
                                 I was going intense a couple of year ago on ringdances, chain dances, etc -
                                Although I have French in me - I have strong leanings to all things nordic (and english,Celtic) but that is like breathing!)

                                I remember taking exception to the france thing as I was reading - because (totally personal arbitrary intuition!)
                                1. France claims EVERYTHING was their invention if it has to do with art, culture or fashion; this irritates me.  LOL! (Just ask Louie! He knew how to market!)
                                However,
                                2. Vikings who were ringdancing already ( the ballads out of the Faroes) hit France pretty early, and brought THEIR stuff over. I know the french got into foppy stuff, but I haven't seen much where people are totally excited about their folklore. I am sure it exists, besides Ratatuille - but it doesn't seem to carry the same charisma that Vikings and pre-vikings do.
                                I just don't feel "right" about it!

                                3. The vikings have one of the greatest and funnest folkmyths/origins going. (I think!)

                                I rest my case, so it is all a personal arbitrary. However, I will admit that the French have killer dance music, however, it is much later than ringdancing/chain dancing origins, since it is after Guido and the staffhand!

                                LOL! I don't really have anything against the franks etal - my real ancestry has relations to chaucer, and they all ran Inns with resident bards (some family) And for some reason, I am running 2 rooming houses over here in Reno. As a bard - So there must be something to ancestral memory, on that score!   Mine just says it wasn't France! LOL!

                                Jenneth the Rindill