Tracking down lyrics for a friend

  • Sue Gilbert
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
      I just got this message from a friend in Calontir: " I am trying to hunt down the lyrics for "warrior's wyrd" and having no luck, any help??"

      Can anyone help?

      Cheers-
      Shava

      I remain, in service to the Northshield, our Society, and most of all, to the populace~~

      justShava®
      Elashava bas Riva, CL, CP,
      (mka Sue Gilbert) 3314 Ridgeway Ave. Madison, WI 53704 phone: 608.244.2845; cell 608.213.1107
    • tim
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
        It's one of Ivar Battleskald 's pieces and therefore lived under the 'oral tradition' request he put on his stuff way back when. Pretty sure all of that is lifted now...

        Truly knows him and I know he gave her 'some' of the lyrics to his work. I will ask her
        if she knows more on this one.

        Best
        Tim/ Garraed

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Sue Gilbert <viscountessshava@...> wrote:

        > I just got this message from a friend in Calontir: " I am trying to hunt down the lyrics for "warrior's wyrd" and having no luck, any help??"
        >
        > Can anyone help?
        >
        > Cheers-
        > Shava
        >

        > I remain, in service to the Northshield, our Society, and most of all, to the populace~~
        >
        > justShava®
        > Elashava bas Riva, CL, CP,
        > (mka Sue Gilbert) 3314 Ridgeway Ave. Madison, WI 53704 phone: 608.244.2845; cell 608.213.1107

      • Gmail
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
          Shava,

          Tim has confirmed that Ivar's "no writing it down" ban has been lifted.  I will share the words, but please pass this on with the understanding that the song be performed from memory - never sung out of a bard book by a campfire.

          It's probably not necessary to say, but please don't forward this on to alot of people. If you need the tune, please let me know, and I'll send you my phone number, and sing it to you.

          Warrior's Wyrd, by Master Ivar Battleskald
          (as taught to me by Master Michael Silverhands)

          Picked up the sword when I was young
          And I will die before I'm old
          Raised as a warrior, fame was my father
          Death was my mother, bathed in blood.

          Followed the banner to the fray
          There we did fight throughout the day
          Eagles did circle there, wolves' feast we did prepare
          Wounded, though then I did not die

          I've heard the death screams as men go
          I've seen the blood in rivers flow
          I've heard the surgeon's son,, and I do know e're long
          One day too slow to dodge I'll be

          One day I'll look up to the sky
          And see the lightning flash on high
          Dark clouds come rolling in, then I will know my end
          Singing I'll go to meet my bane.

          When I'm gone, sing no tears for me.
          Instead, let there be revelry
          Have skalds their sagas say, sing heroes deeds that day,
          Fill every horn and drain it down.

          All of my life, I've hoped one thing:
          That of my deeds the skalds would sing
          For, when a warrior's gone, if you but sing his song,
          Truly that warrior never dies.

          Happy barding!

          Katrina of Coventry / Kathy Elliott

        • mathurin@gladiusinfractus.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
            > Shava,
            >
            > Tim has confirmed that Ivar's "no writing it down" ban has been lifted.

            That is what I recalled as well

            > Warrior's Wyrd, by Master Ivar Battleskald
            > (as taught to me by Master Michael Silverhands)

            Hmmm. Some differences from the way it is usually sung in Calontir.

            > I've heard the surgeon's son,, and I do know e're long

            Typo, I think, should be "surgeon's song"

            Some other differences, but best picked up at the fire.

            --
            Mathurin
            "Non nobis solum"
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
              My apologies to the list - my reply was intended for Shava.  However, as I asked her, if you would like to learn the song, please feel free to contact me, and I will gladly teach you over the phone.  Please, if you would like to perform this song, do respect the author's wishes and perform it from memory.

              Thank you,
              Katrina

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
                --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, mathurin@... wrote:

                > > Shava,
                > >
                > > Tim has confirmed that Ivar's "no writing it down" ban has been lifted.
                >
                > That is what I recalled as well

                I am curious if there was anything in particular that lifted the ban. Thanks.

                - Jethro
              • Fine MacEwen
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011

                  I'm rather curious of that myself.

                  Lady Fine MacEwen

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011

                    > I am curious if there was anything in particular that lifted the ban.
                    > Thanks.

                    As I recall, it had to do with the fact that the song is now so entrenched
                    that the original restriction no longer made sense, and was in fact
                    counter productive. The requirement to perform from memory still remains.

                    --
                    Mathurin
                    "Non nobis solum"
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 10, 2011

                      Having learned the song at the feet of Master Ivar many many years ago we had a discussion on this topic.  I can tell you that the words that were posted are different than what I learned.

                      In talking to him the song was done in the traditional Norse vocal call (as he called it).  In his research people learned these songs growing up.  It became part of their heritage and that is what he wanted to give to the SCA.  Even then he allowed recording of the song to learn it but do not write it down.    One of the things he felt has happened is that the song would change as it spread.  Because the song was learned orally each person could and would hear a word differently and pass it on that way.  This would make the song in each area that was singing it unique.

                      As to allowing the song to be printed it could very well be that song is now everywhere and his goal is complete.

                      Capt Eirik

                      Atenveldt

                      > I am curious if there was anything in particular that lifted the ban.
                      > Thanks.

                      As I recall, it had to do with the fact that the song is now so entrenched
                      that the original restriction no longer made sense, and was in fact
                      counter productive. The requirement to perform from memory still remains.

                      --
                      Mathurin
                      "Non nobis solum"

                    • Ann Seeton