Re: Instrument not period but song is....

  • sasha_koshka
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2011
      I agree with the alchemist. In our context, playing period music on an autoharp is way better than playing Appalachian folk songs on an autoharp - or on a lute, for that matter - so you're already ahead of the game. Good on you! May I ask what music you're into?

      If you're really interested in pursuing authenticity, though, you can look into the plucked psaltery. Best I can tell, that's the medieval European incarnation of the zither, and I'm betting you can modify your playing on your autoharp to closer match the period sound of a plucked psaltery. This would probably involve not chording at all and plucking, rather than strumming. Maybe you're already doing that, maybe it's something to file away in the back of your head for later.

      But honestly, don't worry *too* too much about people's reaction to the instrument. There will always be someone giving you a hard time to show they know more than you (the correct response to them is, "You're so kind - I'd love to borrow your plucked psaltery!") They'll be there no matter how flawlessly period your instrument is. But the vast majority of people will be totally impressed that you're a) playing an instrument at all and b) playing a period tune at all.

      Best of luck,
      Lady Isolde de Lengadoc
      who plays a thoroughly modern folk harp in the SCA

      ------------------------------
      welltemperedharpy.blogspot.com

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Suzuki <jeff_suzuki@...> wrote:

      > Treat this as the garb question:  make a "reasonable attempt" and no one will make too big a deal over the inaccuracies.
      >

      > <shiny medallion="ON">Those actually care about periodicity (as opposed to those who like to display their knowledge and arrogance)  will enjoy the fact that you're actually playing period music and not "what I learned at cub scout camp".  We understand that the physical aspects of periodicity are often expensive.  Music is particularly problematic, since there's no loaner gear that you can play with until you decide to take the plunge and make the investment.
      >

      > That being said, there are modern instruments that are "close enough" to period instruments.  Roughly speaking: you can get away with nonelectric guitars (and a 12-string is very similar to a period vihuela...just make sure your guitar doesn't have "Hannah Montana" plastered all over it...), trombones, and a lot of the woodwind and string instruments.  If you happen to play one of these instruments, great!  If not...again, the fact that you're playing something period is a welcome step in the right direction.<shiny medallion="OFF">
      >
      > Jeffs/William the Alchymist
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Efenwealt Wystle and Scott Vaughan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2011
        Ann,

        There are levels of authenticity within the SCA. The ideal for many people is indeed to play period music on an authentically constructed reproduction instrument. However, most of us would applaud any attempt. The fact that you are interested in actual period music is a huge step in the right direction.

        Many of us play guitars, baroque recoders, modern flutes or other out of period instruments. Many people sing filks, or folk songs. All of it has it's place within the SCA. Just don't try to pass off your autoharp as being a period instrument and most people won't give you a hard time. If someone *does* give you a hard time, do your best to ignore their rudeness, and go play elsewhere.

        Master Efenwealt Wystle
        aka Scott Vaughan
        http://Camelot-Treasures.com/music/efenwealt
        available on iTunes & AmazonMP3