RE: [Pbardic] Bardic Collegium at Pennsic

  • Mark Cipra
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2011
      Dear friends:

      What a terrific response! I think I've got a good lineup of instructors for
      the Tuesday practicum on preparing for performance (I'll post more when I
      have it set). It wouldn't hurt to have some backup people, of course, just
      in case, so feel free to contact me if you're interested. Also, even in a
      practicum session, we'd love to have people in the "audience" with
      experience and expertise, to amplify and broaden what the people at the
      front of the tent bring to the session.

      Llywelyn Glyndwr (Mark Cipra)
      __

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011

        I've had surprisingly few takers on the student end of the Master Class, although I've had a number of folks offer to be a coach/instructor.

        Being the subject of a Master Class isn't only for newbies, remember - there is always room for improvement. But I would also encourage all of you to consider your own students and apprentices and urge them to apply. Having done the student role myself in the past, I can tell you that it can be a tremendous learning experience; and when it's done well, it's a great learning experience for the audience as well.

        A couple of the volunteers for coach/instructor have mentioned they can make themselves available for this purpose outside of the Collegium. I'd be glad to put people in touch with these kind folks, if you want the coaching but don't want to have it occur in public.

        Finally, the original message below neglected to mention the dates and times of the Collegium (as I have corrected elsewhere, but it's worth doing again):

                    Known World Bardic Collegium, Monday-Friday of War Week (August 8-12), 4pm-6pm.

        Llywelyn Glyndwr (Mark Cipra)

        __

        We're assembling a group of discussion leaders for the Known World Bardic
        Collegium at Pennsic. I'll be putting up a web site about it (as soon as I
[...]

        A limited number of students will be given the opportunity to present a

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011

          Regarding "private coaching", I should have mentioned that Master John Lyttleton is actually conducting his Bardic Coaching as a regular class offering Wednesdays in the Amphiteater:

                      8/3 (Peace Week), 3pm

                      8/10 (War Week), 2pm

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011
            Llywelyn, I won't be there for the master classes, but I wanted to say what a GREAT idea this is, and how it's making me really wish I were going to Pennsic! :-)

            And I want to echo what he said about Master Classes not being just for newbies. Having attended quite a few master classes outside the SCA in my day, the most valuable for me have been when the student was at a very high level - or significantly higher than me, at any rate. Sitting in on more advanced coaching gives the newbies a look at what they can shoot for, and it gives more advanced students a look at the next level of how they can refine their art. It's a great learning experience for everyone.

            I think it's great that so many are willing to share their craft by teaching, but consider the "student" role a teaching experience as well - teaching by being taught. I would challenge everyone who's volunteered to teach to also volunteer to be taught. Imagine how inspiring it would be for a new or intermediate bard to watch some hero of theirs, some bardic laurel, learn new things and reach new heights.

            Best of luck to all involved, and may your program attract a nice, broad range of students.

            Isolde de Lengadoc

            PS - On a completely selfish note, might it be possible to Youtube a few of these? Given consent of the participants, of course.

            -------------------------------
            welltemperedharpy.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011

              What she said. Thanks for supporting the idea of veterans getting up there and learning :)

              Also, thanks for the kind words, but I have to say that none of these Collegium ideas (including the master class) are new, and except for a few minor variations none of them are mine. This all started because I reminded Garraed to schedule the annual 2-hour bardic confab early so he could get the time he wanted, and somehow I ended up as provost of a week-long extravaganza. Now *that* is what being a Laurel is all about!

              Re: Youtube. Hmmm. I'm not sure about that. Any others have an opinion? Feel free to contact me privately if you prefer:

                          mcipra@...

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2013
                (Feel free to repost this.)

                The Known World Bardic Collegium at Pennsic schedule is a little wonky this
                year for various reasons we don't need to go into here :)

                As always, I'll be looking for sessions leaders (except for The
                Crowdsourcing Muse - leaders already in place).

                *****
                Friday, July 26, and Sunday, July 28, 4-5pm
                Practicums
                The practicums present an opportunity to a limited number of students to
                present a prepared piece and work publicly with the faculty. Any genre
                (spoken-word, sung, etc.) may be employed. Please keep the pieces to five
                minutes or less, to allow ample time for re-working, comments and possible
                re-presentation. Your session with the panel will probably last between 10
                and 20 minutes.
                Students wishing to be considered for the practicum must apply to the
                provost by email (see below) before July 8. Please include the title and a
                description of the piece you wish to work on. Also include a brief bardic
                bio that lets us know your experience level. The bio will not be published.
                Participation is by PRE-REGISTRATION only. Contact Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy
                at cipram (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

                *****
                Monday, July 29, 5-6pm
                Meet-and-greet and Ask Doctor Apollo
                The annual meet-and-greet and roundtable Congress, a general discussion
                of issues of current interest to the Known World bardic community. Please
                stop by to reacquaint yourself with your fellows gathered at Pennsic and
                join our panel in a discussion of problems and opportunities. Have a
                specific question about a problem your bardic community is experiencing?
                Bring it. Our advice is Olympian.
                NOTE that this is a one-hour session beginning at 5pm to avoid conflict
                with the Bardic Expo.

                *****
                Tuesday, July 30, 4-6pm
                The Crowdsourcing Muse Workshop
                You're stuck. It's a great piece, or it could be. But you've got an ending
                but no beginning, a beginning but no end, or a missing middle. Or you don't
                know where to take the plot or the imagery. Or maybe it's just an idea and
                you have no idea what form (song? story? poem? or what kind of song, story
                or poem?) it should take. The bards of the Known World will gather to be
                your collective muse and brainstorm with you.
                Session leaders: Mistress Fiana and Master Dahrien

                *****
                Wednesday, July 31, 4-6pm
                Competition and Challenges
                We spend most of our effort at the Collegium making nice, friendly places
                for bards to sing "Kumbaya" together. But competition and challenges are a
                fact of SCA life. So let's discuss formal A&S faires and structured
                challenges and competitions - how to run them, how to particiate in them.

                *****
                Thursday, August 1, 4-6pm
                R-E-S-P-E-C-T
                Bards have a hard-earned reputation - but at many times and places that
                reputation is not one you want to tell Mom about. How does this come about,
                and what can we do about it?

                Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)
                __