Re: Performance Anxiety

  • Mlle. Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
      Hail & well met to Bardic Arts!

      In the interest of “keeping it coming” …

      All of the suggestions here are really helpful.  Here’s a few extra things I do when performing or preparing (I also perform mundanely; it’s a career J):

      1.       Keep in mind your audience WANTS you to do well.  They are rooting for you.

      2.       What’s the worst that could happen?  No matter what, especially if it’s something like forgetting the words, or starting off in the wrong key, it’s not a big deal.  You can always start again, smile and continue … see No. 1.  When I was doing Godspell, the fellow singing “We Beseech Thee” was pulled up off the ground and let out a huge fart.  The audience roared.  We kept going.  It made the performance memorable!

      3.       Before you perform anything, practice until you can do your piece backwards if you want to.  Practice movements, inflections, everything that’s part of your performance.  While you will change things to suit the situation (let’s face it, good performance is fluid like the ocean), having that solid base will alleviate some anxiety.

      4.       If your mouth goes dry, put the tip of your tongue against the flesh under your bottom teeth.  You’ll produce saliva.  An opera trick is also to put a little Vaseline on your lips if you know this is a common problem with you.  Always have water with you and drink before performing.

      5.       Yawn before taking the stage, breathe from the diaphragm and release the tension in your shoulders or anywhere else you’re holding it.

      6.       See No. 1.

      I hope that this is useful.

      Vôtre, en service au Rêve et à la chanson,

      Melissent

      Quand les mots manquent, la musique parle.

      As an artist I come to sing, but as a citizen, I will always speak for peace, and no one can silence me in this. – Paul Robeson

      Re: Perfomance Anxiety

      Posted by: "Mark Cipra" cipram@...   llywelyng

      Thu Mar 3, 2011 4:47 am (PST)

      I wanted to say an intermim thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Some
      of this I already have in my course, of course, but some of it's new, and
      all of it is a fresh take. Keep it coming!

      I had a private reply that mentioned many of the same things.

    • sasha_koshka
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
        Related to your number 3, Melissent, here's something I've done while practicing before.  I've asked my 10-year-old stepson to do his damndest to distract me, short of actually touching me or the harp, while practicing.  If I can do my piece with a flailing kid making goofy noises in my face, I know I've got it down well enough.  And he has a good time as well.  :-P  When he's not around, I sometimes just get my husband to try to have a conversation with me while I'm practicing (although that tends to only work for the instrumental pieces).

        Back when I was just singing and acting (not in the SCA), I found that I could take nervous energy and turn it into excitement.  Once I figured that out, the nerves made my performances better.  Then when I started accompanying myself on the harp (in the SCA), I discovered that no matter how well I did that and how "in the zone" I felt, my hands still shook.  Which totally sucks when you're trying to play the harp!!!

        So the things that have helped me the most are:
        1)  Doing exactly what you suggest and practicing until I can perform a piece in my sleep.  That way if I slip into "auto pilot" and lose my place, I'm still likely to be in the right place when I realize it.  Ever forget the words to a song but still magically have something correct coming out of your mouth?  I totally have.
        2)  Performing as often as I possibly can.  Go to events, perform at bardic circles, perform for your friends, perform as background music, find or start a local bardic get-together.  Nerves, like anything else, just take practice to get through.

        ~Isolde de Lengadoc

        welltemperedharpy.blogspot.com

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Mlle. Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse" <chanteresse@...> wrote:

        > In the interest of �keeping it coming� �
        >

        > All of the suggestions here are really helpful. Here�s a few extra things I
        > do when performing or preparing (I also perform mundanely; it�s a career J):
        >

        > 1. Keep in mind your audience WANTS you to do well. They are rooting
        > for you.
        >
        > 2. What�s the worst that could happen? No matter what, especially if
        > it�s something like forgetting the words, or starting off in the wrong key,
        > it�s not a big deal. You can always start again, smile and continue � see
        > No. 1. When I was doing Godspell, the fellow singing �We Beseech Thee� was
        > pulled up off the ground and let out a huge fart. The audience roared. We
        > kept going. It made the performance memorable!
        >
        > 3. Before you perform anything, practice until you can do your piece
        > backwards if you want to. Practice movements, inflections, everything
        > that�s part of your performance. While you will change things to suit the
        > situation (let�s face it, good performance is fluid like the ocean), having
        > that solid base will alleviate some anxiety.
        >
        > 4. If your mouth goes dry, put the tip of your tongue against the
        > flesh under your bottom teeth. You�ll produce saliva. An opera trick is
        > also to put a little Vaseline on your lips if you know this is a common
        > problem with you. Always have water with you and drink before performing.
        >
        > 5. Yawn before taking the stage, breathe from the diaphragm and
        > release the tension in your shoulders or anywhere else you�re holding it.
        >
        > 6. See No. 1.
        >

        > I hope that this is useful.
        >

        > V�tre, en service au R�ve et � la chanson,
        >
        > Melissent
        >

        > Quand les mots manquent, la musique parle.
        >

        > As an artist I come to sing, but as a citizen, I will always speak for
        > peace, and no one can silence me in this. � Paul Robeson

        > F9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzM1MTkxNARncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEbXNnSWQDOTA2NgRzZ
        > WMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjk5MTU4NDQ5> Re: Perfomance Anxiety
        >

        > Posted by: "Mark Cipra"
        > <mailto:cipram@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Perfomance%20Anxiety>
        > cipram@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/llywelyng> llywelyng
        >

        > Thu Mar 3, 2011 4:47 am (PST)
        >

        > I wanted to say an intermim thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Some
        > of this I already have in my course, of course, but some of it's new, and
        > all of it is a fresh take. Keep it coming!
        >
        > I had a private reply that mentioned many of the same things.

      • jenny tavernier
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
          This is an article I wrote a while back - but it applies to performance anxiety, in the sense that it gives you permission to totally create yourself before the big moment - it also helps! and the more you do it, the more magic it becomes! (For all!)

          Often bards will see the blur of people and movement and laughter and talking, and it can almost be a sensory overload to think of dealing with it - (How can I handle all THAT!?)

          Try this! It gets way easier with practice, and it makes you mysterious to boot - It will also calm the universe down - before you ever arrive! -

          A winter face
          hair tangled with frost-flowered eyelashes
          and flash of green
          the queen of memories
          sits in snow
          awaiting postmarked icicles
          jht

        • jenny tavernier
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
            Sorry! My copy paste was null! Here's the whole thing - may it help!

            This is an article I wrote a while back - but it applies to performance anxiety, in the sense that it gives you permission to totally create yourself before the big moment - it also helps! and the more you do it, the more magic it becomes! (For all!)

            Often bards will see the blur of people and movement and laughter and talking, and it can almost be a sensory overload to think of dealing with it - (How can I handle all THAT!?)

            Try this! It gets way easier with practice, and it makes you mysterious to boot - It will also calm the universe down - before you ever arrive! -

            As a simple bard, I would say this:

            I happen to love period music/performance - - it is in my blood from way back - but I love it even more when the DELIVERY encompasses it.  IE - whoever is putting it out has manged to create, whether in themselves, or in fellow performers doing it - the mindset and the enviroment - you can feel it - sense it - you are transported -

            HUH? How can one be part of the mindset?

            This is where the true bardic arts come into play. It isn't just "sing/speak" the piece - play it, whatever -

            It is that they who are responsible for putting it out there,  have already created for themselves the ambiance and  visual  enviroment (even though it's by thought)
            and THAT is where they are delivering/creating it from.  They are in their moment - and if you have any finer sense of awareness, or are open  with your full attention, you WILL get everything they are putting out - it brings the  fine richness -

            Period pieces had a mindset - the status quo, why it was popular then (and is still surviving and done)

            Maybe we don't  know or remember (LOL!) who was who, why the piece developed in the way it was, who was having an affair with someone else's honey - what the Lord High Aestetician decreed was the prevailing fashion,

            But that doesn't mean that all the surronding poignencies back then  didn't also add to the luster of the piece. If it was popular, then the delivery was the main reason it kept going.

            Art is there being viewed or seen or listened to - but the best way to capture your audience, I think, is to get them to participate in EXPERIANCING it. And that, my friends, I think is the sign of a Major Bard - in whatever pursuit they are doing.

            Talking about subliminals? You Bet!

            And it is entirely a bard's responsibility to make it so.

            There are those who are in affinity, or bonded with period things - makes it easier - and makes a great qualified audiance when you find em - but there are those who perhaps have never been given the treat of what a bardic performance of a period piece is like with all attendant phenomena - and that can be wholly a mental projection along with the physical -

            And it does Bite - and it makes a difference.

            And then, there are those who simply will not ever be on the wavelength for it, no matter how good or pure.

            Go for those that are interested - cultivate them - you'll see it in their eyes -
            But take your own responsibility in your art form of choice to create that environment beforehand, as much as you can - and watch what happens. FOCUS!!!!

            People with passion, even if it's not a spoken thing - get noticed. And educate - and one can feel what they are putting out. (happy, sad? etc.)

            How's the quality of your communication - verbal or thought or images or ghostly?

            Don't play only for the audience -OWN the universe you are creating down to the nails in the floor, the wind in the trees. The hussy down the hall who's stalking your betrothed, or the kitchen boy out crying over the fact he cut his thumb peeling turnips - although they may have nothing to do with what you are doing - if you stretch your awareness to created people and space in your universe, it will have impact.

            As far as period or non, well, LOL! What's the use of being a bard (intrinsic in any time or place) if one can't use what they have at their disposal to create? There are the right times and places for this -
            (though I meant no disrespect to high art, when I forwarded Lady Raven's delightful takeoffs - as that is a skill she is putting to use -

            and as this is the middle ages as the should have been, we would be remiss if we didn't echo the fact that bards create - just state that it is a now or then -

            But whatever one does, they can improve a period or periodesque performance by  peopling their stage with the atmosphere they want to promote - and that starts with your mindset -or whatever you want to call it. Call it a mental optical illusion - but there is nothing wrong with mastering it - or practicing. Not a bad thing to have in your bag of tricks -

            And I have personally seen some of those performances where you swear that just out of your eyesight - there's a room with a brawl going on - or someone who is peeping out of a tree - yet there is in 'now' time nothing there -  but one is aware - so very aware - that there is a magic, somewhere.

            And I have done it, too. And so can you.

            and rhetorically,

            If you are so "in your moment" you WILL grab wandering attention - and that is well a part of the serious and thriving bard's bag of tricks - And way back then, that was a major responsibility to be considered if you were going for employment or commisions, or wished to climb the bardic ladder. - (student, beginner, jr, journeyman, master, etc)

            Remember - you are the master of your universe, and also everyone else's when you are performing!

            Jen on her picklebowl -  advocate of bard's right's, code of ethics, and responsibilities -
            and magic of course!

          • Mark Cipra
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011

              My mail program (or perhaps the Yahoo Group itself) won't let me see any attachment. Can you post to the Groups site, or would you email it directly to me at

                          cipram@...

              Llywelyn Glyndwr (Mark Cipra)

              __

              "Through the years, I have learned that there is no harm in charging oneself up with delusions between moments of valid inspiration."  Steve Martin

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
                Hey! LOL!

                My cut and paste program (prob me) screwed up! It did make it through on the second effort! Hope that it adds to our great font of bardishness, in The best company of friends and neighbors in all the world, and beyond!

                I salute you guys!
                Jen
                bard of the picklebowl

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011

                  Yep, got it the second time.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28, 2013
                    Greetings all!

                    This was a blurb in my Galleycat Newsletter - (Publisher Industry)

                    In honor of their Third season, (HBO 3/29/13 preview), there is a website where you can "join up" and make/post your arms. LOL!

                    Jen aka
                    Rindill Bard of the Picklebowl

                    the arrogant fox held a woodsy feast
                    with otter balancing wines