Re: [SCA_BARDS] Perfomance Anxiety

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
      On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 17:32 -0500, Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
      > This is one reason why anxiety is an early sign of after injury

      That should read, "early sign of shock after injury".

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Mathurin Kerbusso
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
        Mark Cipra wrote:

        > Your thoughts would be appreciated.

        Our lizard brain tells us that to look into another's eyes -- other than
        close friends and family -- is a challenge. So when we do it, even when we
        know there is no danger, the R-complex starts the flight-or-fight
        sequence.

        A trick I was taught mumble mumble years ago, that has been successful for
        me, and that I include whenever I teach a class on performance, is "power
        points". (And, yes, that is where the name for the presentation software
        came from) The idea is simple; pick four points in the audience, in an
        approximate rectangle that is within within its bounds but near the
        periphery. Scan constantly between those four points, in different
        patterns. You never directly look into anyone's eyes, but everyone in the
        audience believes you have made direct eye contact with them.

        We are simple creatures, easily fooled. :-)

        --
        Mathurin
        "Non nobis solum"
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
          ooh, love the "power points" suggestion--easily fooled for them or for me, still love it.
          Thanks,
          Gillian

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
            I used to get terrible performance anxiety. My mouth would go dry, my
            body would shake, my heart would pound. Nowadays I don't have as much of
            an issue with it, but I still experience it from time to time,
            especially when performing a new song, at a huge feast, with Royals there...

            I have a few techniques that I use to deal with this anxiety. I'll try
            not to be too windy-wordy.

            1. Embrace the feeling. Get comfortable with that adrenaline rush, and
            welcome it as a positive thing. Anxiety feeds on anxiety. We get more
            anxious trying to get rid of the feeling, to avoid it. In time you'll
            get to your own comfort level. Instead of being anxious, be excited.
            2. Bring the audience into your world. I teach this in my Bardic Arts
            for Beginners classes. If you are able, introduce yourself and the song.
            This helps you and the audience to be in the same 'world', as it were.
            It's also creating a psychological space where it's perfectly right to
            perform.
            3. "Soft Focus". There is a reason I don't wear contacts when I am
            performing. I can make a certain level of eye-contact, but not an
            overwhelming amount. I can let my visual focus go fuzzy, so that I can
            read them and yet keep things to a bit of an anonymous blur if I get too
            nervous. Choose the level of interaction you will allow.
            4. Props / tactile stimulation. I have my staff. It is wonderful for
            keeping a beat, and it can be used to create emotion within the song.
            Bit it has another purpose. The tactile stimulation helps deflect the
            focus on anxiety and back onto the singing where it belongs. It's kind
            of like someone who is lost in being scared or sad and someone else
            takes their hands or hugs them. Though the other feelings don't vanish,
            the spiral of emotion feeding on emotion is broken and the mind can
            focus on something else. A staff works well. So do beads. Anything you
            can hold in a hand. Barring anything else, slapping your thigh with your
            open palm is a decent substitute.
            5. Practice. Someone else also mentioned this. The more you perform, the
            less frightening it gets.
            6. Embrace the failure. I forgot the words to a song I wrote in the
            middle of my singing it during a feast. My mind went completely blank. I
            coped with that and just made a comment to the crowd, rather humorous,
            and sang something else. Since then, well, I figure, it can't really get
            much worse, so what's there to be nervous about? Get comfortable with
            the eventuality of screwing up and it gets a lot less scary.
            7. Aromatherapy. Sometimes a lavender sachet or a dab of lavender oil
            can help. Substitute whatever soothing scent works for you.
            8. Booze. I'm not advocating getting drunk here. But if you're not a
            minor and it's not a dry site, if all else fails, a small portion of
            wine, ale, beer, or mead can be comforting. barring the booze, chamomile
            or mint tea also can be soothing.

            I think that's pretty much it. Hope it helps.

            Yours in service,
            Hilla
          • Mark Cipra
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011

              I wanted to say an intermim thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Some of this I already have in my course, of course, but some of it's new, and all of it is a fresh take. Keep it coming!

              I had a private reply that mentioned many of the same things.

              For my part, I'll add that I rarely get performance anxiety in Society settings; but I also perform mundanely, and I find that routine helps. I find that I can channel the anxiety-energy better if I always do the same preparation - vocal exercises, physical warmup, run through my part. (I have had non-speaking roles where I thought I could forego the vocal warmup; turns out it helps, although it freaks out the rest of the cast.)

              Llywelyn Glyndwr (Mark Cipra)

              __

              "Through the years, I have learned that there is no harm in charging oneself up with delusions between moments of valid inspiration."  Steve Martin

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
                A technique I usd was  aform of tough love from an instructor, who believe dthe cure to performance anxiety was performing.

                start small - perform for freinds, and in a comfortable venue - such as shire or group meetings, where everyones  a known quantity. It engenders a " safe zone" that allows one to move from.

                practice in public - at the time I lived on campus. He had me do my practicing on the green. Once youve broken the idea of practicing ( and fumbling) in front if god and everyone, performing for a freindly crowd is much easier.

                be active - if youre nervous, move around. In feasts, walk the aisles a syou sing. If on stage, pace the stage ( taking care to face the audience, of course!) It will alleviate a lot of butterflys to move around, hides nervousness, and besides, often its better performing to boot rather than standing there with the deer in the headlights look.

                I won't say its the easiest, or even the best, but this was how I was taught and it DOES work.

                Bran Buchanan

                To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
                  I think there are two things that bring on performance anxiety and both have to do with perspective.
                  1. do you know your material well enough
                  2. will you be good enough

                  To address each:

                  1. Singing and poetry is much more difficult than storytelling when it comes to forgetting material, unless you are good at covering up the flubs. If you are a storyteller then remember it isn't about memorizing your material. It is about internalizing it. I recommend not doing a new piece in competition, it should be one you have been able to practice before a live audience a few times. I'd say that about musical and poetic too.
                     If you are doing a set of stories, songs whatever, you can sandwich the new material between pieces that are really comfortable for you.
                     Lastly, if you are a storyteller and realize that it isn't about memorizing but internalizing the story then you can create parts of the story as you go. A story is a living thing anyway. It changes with each telling and each teller.

                  2. This is hardest for new bards but once you understand that you are giving the gift of your art, it doesn't become about "you" anymore. Will you be good enough doesn't matter because it is #1 about the audience and #2 about the piece you are presenting. If you do your best to honor those, then you can't be nervous about your performance. I would add, that seasoned performers still often get most nervous when performing for their peers, but again if your art is about the sharing then that will help alleviate fears.

                  I will once more be offering the storytelling academy at Pennsic if you want a safe and supportive place to hone tour skills.
                  Mistress Gabrielle d'Auvergne