Mid-Realm Bardic Madness Challenges

  • cerian_cantwr
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
      Mid-Realm Bardic Madness XII

      Greetings and welcome are bid to all Bards, Troubadors, Trouveres,
      Minstrels, Minnesingers, Jongleurs, Singers, Storytellers, Poets,
      Scops, Skalds, Fillids, Olaves, Griots, Wordsmiths, and Friends of
      these arts. Also Musicians, Dancers, Jugglers, Magicians, and Players
      as well.

      This year's Bardic Madness will take place on November 13th, 2010. Our
      hosts will be the Shire of Narrental (Twelve Mile, IN). Many thanks go
      to all of them for their hospitality in helping the bardic community
      out this year.

      The purpose of today's challenges is to encourage the participants'
      creativity and artistic growth. They are not meant to be
      competitions - everyone who takes part can consider themselves a
      winner.

      Your response to the various challenges may be in many different
      forms. Song or story are the most obvious choices; however juggling,
      magic, instrumental, or dance can also express an idea or tell a
      tale. All of these could be used to answer a given challenge (though
      perhaps not all at the same time :-) . Our desire here is to be
      inclusive rather than exclusive. If you have something to share that
      doesn't quite fit or that stretches the definitions a little, then
      fire away.

      It is our wish to create a "bardic safe zone" - a friendly place
      where you may feel free to experiment and try new things. If you've
      never performed before, now's your chance. You'll be hard pressed to
      find a friendlier and more supportive audience. We would be
      delighted to see lots of first time performers.

      Please remember, in order to make sure as many gentles get a chance
      to perform as possible, we ask that you limit your performances so
      that they run less than five minutes.

      For more event information, see the website at
      http://tilted-windmill.com/bms12 Additional information will be
      posted there as it becomes available.

      For questions about the days challenges or participating in the concert
      please contact the provost:
      Lucia Elena Braganza
      kcoutinho@...

      For questions about the site and logistics, please contact the
      autocrat:
      Loptr Orlygsson
      (Landon Montgomery)
      1500 Miles Street
      Logansport, IN 46947
      574-870-9886
      arakinas@...

      The Challenges

      Fyt the First:

      Pass the Tale:
      All those who wish to participate get up together, and tell a tale
      from beginning to end. The challenge's patron will 'conduct' by
      pointing to the person whose turn it is to continue the tale, and
      deciding when it is time to end.

      Fortune's Fool:
      Many tales revolve around a prophecy, divination or lucky charm. Tell us of one such adventure.

      Deja Vu:
      What if "It's Been A Hard Day's Night" had been written by O'Carolan
      instead of the Beatles? If John Henry was a blacksmith instead of a
      steel drivin' man? Mighty Casey at Crown List? Take a modern piece, but
      crank the dial on the way-back machine to make it SCA compatible. For
      example:

      Now, gentles, sit! And yes shall hear a tale,
      The story of a voyage marr'd by fate,
      Commencing from a port of tropic clime
      Aboard a vessel minuscule, the mate
      A sailor full of puissance, yet not more
      Than was his captain. That idyllic shore
      Sent forth five passengers upon a tour
      Of but three hours' time; the weather played
      The strumpet with the ship, her serenade
      Turned hurricano, and not small at all,
      Her crew's exertions nurs'd her to the lee
      Of a long-forgotten atoll. There lamed,
      Brave Gilligan and his captain dwell beside
      A merchant rich as Croesus and his bride,
      A wanton actress, a most learned man,
      And Mary Ann,
      Upon the isle for which our play is named!
      -- (unattributed, found at http://www.thalia.org/medieval.html)

      2nd fyt:

      Sibyl Says:
      The sibyls were female prophets of Greek and Roman mythology. Their
      prophecies, which emerged as riddles to be interpreted by priests, were
      inspired by Apollo or other dieties. (mythencyclopedia.com). Tell us a
      riddle, prophetic or not!

      Mourning Becomes Cassandra:
      Cassandra was a prophetess cursed by Apollo to always foretell true,
      but never to be believed. She witnessed many tragedies and died in the
      fall of Troy. Pull out the hankies and give us a good lament.

      Period Piece:
      Perform a documentably period piece of music, story, or song (poetry,
      prose, and so forth are good too). Dig out those reference books, blow
      off the dust (try not to sneeze), and see what wonderful and magical
      treasures you can find in them. There is a staggering amount of
      fantastic material out there. Find something, be it silly or sublime,
      and amaze us with it.

      3rd fyt:

      Fortune Cookie:
      We're leaving this one up to the fates and sugar. Grab a fortune cookie
      or the Italian analog, Baci (provided by the Provost), and write two
      verses and a chorus inspired by the wisdom within.

      Anglo Saxon Verse:
      My magic 8 ball predicts there will be a mighty event in the East,
      where the lines of Beowulf will once again echo in the hall
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BeowulfEvent). Start warming up now with
      a piece in Anglo Saxon verse. The rules for constructing it are as
      follows:

      1. Each line is made up of two half lines or distiches.
      2. When spoken aloud, there will be a natural pause between them.
      This is the caesura.
      3. Each half line consists of two strongly stressed syllables and an
      indefinite number of weaker ones.
      4. Stressed syllables rhyme with each other by alliteration.
      5. The first stress of the second half line will rhyme with either
      of the stresses in the first half line.
      6. The second stress of the second half line does not usually rhyme
      with either of the stresses in the first half line.

      Here is an example:

      Harken and hear heed my example.
      Verse form I give you view it and learn.
      Two are the stresses told in each half-line,
      Varied the unstressed uttered as well.
      The first or the second fit with the third beat;
      The fourth, at the end, follows no rule.
      When spoken aloud, ears spot the caesura -
      The silence between both halves of the line.

      Further information on the basic rules for Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse can be found at
      http://cuip.uchicago.edu/~iabrams/OE_Rap_port/oepoetryworksheet.htm.
      For all the gory details, take a look at The Princeton Encyclopedia of
      Poetry and Poetics.

      Beware the Ides of March:
      Ceasar might've lived longer if he'd paid attention! Give us your own
      ominous foretelling.

      4th fyt:

      Bard Scribe Illuminator:
      Given a subject in the morning, compose, calligraph, and illuminate a
      text on that subject. This may be done individually or as a team.

      Toasting:
      Feast time is traditionally when we raise our glasses on high to honor
      the crown and other deserving individuals. Given a topic or person at
      random, create an appropriate toast for them.

      Tastier than Tea Leaves:
      Food is often involved in divination, from reading of tea leaves or
      entrails to tossing apple peelings. But we've got much better things to
      do with food - a glorious feast! Give us a piece about food or
      feasting; bonus points if you can work in praise for our cooks.

      Challenge General Rules

      Challenges are not contests. You win by entering and striving to do
      the best you can.

      Challenges are designed to encourage you to try your hand at
      something new, to stretch yourself, to enjoy, and to celebrate the
      creative spirit.

      Read the guidelines for the challenges carefully, like most
      exercises, they are designed to help you develop in specific areas.
      Try to follow them as closely as you can, but stretching them in
      unexpected directions is good too.

      Individuals are welcome and encouraged to give recognition to those
      performers whom they especially enjoy.

      In order to allow the largest number of people to participate,
      challenge entries shall be limited to five minutes or less. Each
      person may enter a maximum of one piece in each challenge and a
      maximum of four challenges.
    • cerian_cantwr
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2011
        Mid-Realm Bardic Madness XIII - The Beast One Yet

        Greetings and welcome are bid to all Bards, Troubadors, Trouveres,
        Minstrels, Minnesingers, Jongleurs, Singers, Storytellers, Poets,
        Scops, Skalds, Fillids, Olaves, Griots, Wordsmiths, and Friends of
        these arts. Also Musicians, Dancers, Jugglers, Magicians, and Players
        as well.

        This year's Bardic Madness will take place on November 19th, 2011.
        Our hosts will be the Marche of Alderford (Canton, OH). Many thanks
[...]

        (including introductions) so that they run less than five minutes.

        For more event information, see the website at
        http://tilted-windmill.com/bms13 Additional information will be
        posted there as it becomes available.

        For questions about the days challenges, classes, patrons, or
        participating in the concert please contact the provosts:
        Cerian Cantwr Llywelyn Glyndwr
        cerian@... cipram@...

        For questions about the site and logistics, please contact the
        steward:
        Ursula the Widow
        (Michelle Hartz)
        458 North Broadway
        New Philadelphia, OH, 44663
        ursula@...

        The Challenges

        Fyt the First:

        Pass the Tale:
        All those who wish to participate get up together, and tell a tale
        from beginning to end. The challenge's patron will 'conduct' by
        pointing to the person whose turn it is to continue the tale, and
        deciding when it is time to end.

        Mistaken Identity:
        Bestiaries often confused similar critters. For instance identifying
        the unicorn and the rhinoceros as the same animal because they share
        the same single horn; or giving the tiger spots instead of stripes.
        Tell us about a case of mistaken identity.

        Beast from the East:
        The Tyger and the Dragon have an annual "rivalry". Imagine how this
        rivalry MIGHT have started, or how it could be resolved (or not ...)

        2nd fyt:

        Mazacroca:
        Given several texts to choose from in foreign languages, "translate"
        one of them and explain what it "really" means.

        Triolets Are Blue:
        The triolet is a period French verse form dating back to the
        thirteenth century. It consists of an eight line stanza with two
        repeated lines (the rhyme scheme is shown below), and can be used
        singly or as part of a cycle. Try your hand at writing one.
        Additional examples may be found on-line at
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triolet

        a - line 1
        b - line 2
        a - rhymes with line 1
        A - identical to line 1
        a - rhymes with line 1
        b - rhymes with line 2
        A - identical to line 1
        B - identical to line 2

        For example:
        For long the cruel wish I knew
        That your free heart should ache for me
        While mine should bear no ache for you;
        For, long-the cruel wish!-I knew
        How men can feel, and craved to view
        My triumph-fated not to be
        For long! . . . The cruel wish I knew
        That your free heart should ache for me!

        Thomas Hardy

        A Monster in Any Medium:
        Create for us a creature. Use whatever tools and materials you wish -
        C&I, fiber arts, clay, a subtlety, drinking straws. Let your
        imagination run wild with this one. Once you have built your beastie,
        bring it in and tell us about it. Both creature and piece may be
        created before the event.

        3rd fyt:

        A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words:
        Members of the populace will draw pictures for this challenge based
        on the theme: bestiary creatures (feel free to define this broadly -
        in period it could be real creatures, mythical ones, and sometimes
        rocks). Participants will pull both a drawing and a song out of a hat
        just before the challenge starts. Write two verses and a chorus about
        the picture using the tune.

        The Beast's Lair:
        Beasts arise in all sorts of locations - jungles, desserts, steppes,
        many of which were just as unfamiliar to the folk of Europe as the
        animals themselves. Take us to one of these exotic, imaginary or
        fabled lands.

        Period Piece:
        Perform a documentably period piece of music, story, or song (poetry,
        prose, and so forth are good too). Dig out those reference books, blow
        off the dust (try not to sneeze), and see what wonderful and magical
        treasures you can find in them. There is a staggering amount of
        fantastic material out there. Find something, be it silly or sublime,
        and amaze us with it.

        4th fyt:

        Toasting:
        Feast time is traditionally when we raise our glasses on high to
        honor the crown and other deserving individuals. Given a topic or
        person at random, create an appropriate toast for them.

        Show your Breeding:
        We all know where unicorns, mermaids, cyclopeans, and the like
        originated - or do we? Pick a fabulous creature and tell us where it
        MIGHT have come from.

        Things That Go Bump in the Night:
        The darkness can be filled with all sorts of fantastical things. Why
        do they go *bump* anyway? Are they menacing? Are they percussionists?
        Maybe they're just near-sighted. You tell us.

        Challenge General Rules

        Challenges are not contests. You win by entering and striving to do
        the best you can.

        Challenges are designed to encourage you to try your hand at
        something new, to stretch yourself, to enjoy, and to celebrate the
        creative spirit.

        Read the guidelines for the challenges carefully, like most
        exercises, they are designed to help you develop in specific areas.
        Try to follow them as closely as you can, but stretching them in
        unexpected directions is good too.

        Individuals are welcome and encouraged to give recognition to those
        performers whom they especially enjoy.

        In order to allow the largest number of people to participate,
        challenge entries shall be limited to five minutes or less (that
        includes the introduction). Each person may enter a maximum of one
        piece in each challenge and a maximum of four challenges.