Pictures from Bardic Madness XX: Back Where it All Began

  • Sue Gilbert
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      Okay, I know. I should have gotten some sleep last night or actually eaten lunch today but it feels like I can't rest until some of this stuff is done so just call me crazy. (I also have to do some major work on the Northwatch tonight and for the next couple of nights so I couldn't dawdle too much and real work to do during the days).

      Bardic Madness has really, really become one of my favourite events of all time. Someone asked me this morning what it was (he is really new to the Society). My description to him was: Bardic Madness is a day of song, story, poem & music--done as challenges but not competitions. The challenge is to enter. They each have a theme--but themes can be stretched.It's considered a "Bardic Safe Zone" because no one is expected to be perfect. Newcomers are welcomed. No harsh criticism, much less any criticism, is allowed.

      This just scratches the surface but it is a decent general description. It was conceived of mostly by Master Owen Alun over 20 years ago--this past weekend was the 20th event in Northshield to bear the name--and has inspired similar events in the Midrealm and Calontir.

      This past weekend was no exception but one of the guidelines was stretched a bit. Hosted by the Barony of Windhaven in De Pere, WI, we returned to where the first one was 20 years ago (okay, not the exact site but the general geographical area). The day was definitely filled with songs, stories, poems, music and fun all loosely themed around circles, cycles, returning, roundness, remembrance, and coming home. Performances by bards of two kingdoms who were either well seasoned, brand new to the bardic arts, or somewhere in between. Laughter, tears, and Wuv, Twoooo Wuv were the sub-themes for the day. Yea, we had a break for some excellent classes and even a short Royal Court (I'll leave the reporting of that to the heralds or Astrid) and since we were in Windhaven food, food and more food. (YES, we HAVE eaten!!!) There Majesties did open up their challenge for as a bit of a compeition and had a beautiful harp they wanted to present to someone. I am SO glad it wasn't my desision because those that answered their call to the challenge all came well equipped to either tug at our heartstrings or make us laugh or tap our feet or all of the above.

      My view of the day with the still camera can be found at: http://nsgallery.melm.org/main.php?g2_itemId=134304 but there will be some videos coming when I have time to upload them. I have reviewed them all and most of them are very good. Which means I have about 60 videos to upload from the event and the post-revel (8 gbs of video!) Hopefully by the end of next weekend I can get them all posted. Until then, check out http://www.youtube.com/shavasue for others and keep watching that space since I doubt I can post everything at once so I'll do it as I have time. Definitely to watch for are some videos from the post-revel that include bards of Northshield & the Midrealm singing the iconic anthems of AEthelmaerc (Scarlet) and Ealdormere (Rise) and the full version of Row Men Row as soon as I figure out how to shave 34 seconds off the video so it will fit on youtube. :D

      Pax-
      Shava

      Usual post-script: As always, for my  pictures, feel free to leave comments and help me label the  pictures, use any picture for SCA purposes, ask me to delete something if you don't like it via private message, or share with your friends and family.Also, please pass on the link to other lists if you wish.

      I remain, in service to the Northshield, our Society, and most of all, to the populace~~

      justShava®
      Elashava bas Riva, CL, CP,
      (mka Sue Gilbert) 3314 Ridgeway Ave. Madison, WI 53704 phone: 608.244.2845; cell 608.213.1107

    • Mathurin Kerbusso
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        Sue Gilbert wrote:

        > My view of the day with the still camera can be found at:
        > http://nsgallery.melm.org/main.php?g2_itemId=134304

        It asks me for login credentials that I don't have.

        --
        Mathurin
        "Non nobis solum"
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
          Yes, the Unofficial Northshield Gallery does require registration which is free and only two people will ever see your email address (I'm one of the administrators) and I can guarantee you won't get any spam for registering. We had to do something to keep 'bots from over-running the site. My apologies for difficulty on this.

          The videos, on the other hand, should be accessible to everyone!

          Cheers-
          Shava

          I remain, in service to the Northshield, our Society, and most of all, to the populace~~

          justShava®
          Elashava bas Riva, CL, CP,
          (mka Sue Gilbert) 3314 Ridgeway Ave. Madison, WI 53704 phone: 608.244.2845; cell 608.213.1107

          1b.

          Re: Pictures from Bardic Madness XX: Back Where it All Began

          Posted by: "Mathurin Kerbusso" mathurin@...   rdeaver

          Mon Mar 1, 2010 12:47 pm (PST)