Musical instruments for sale

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2010
      Forwarded with the original author's permission. Please direct ALL inquiries to Master Johann Von Drachenfels at jlatorre AT midtown DOT net I am not the seller.
      **************************

      Greetings to the list, and my apologies if you've already received this missive on other lists.

      I'm selling two rather out-of-the-way musical instruments I've made over the past few years. I'll be bringing both of these to the Estrella War, if you should want to inspect them first-hand. You can find me in the Period Demo Area, at a woodworking shop (where I'll be working on a rebec, among other things).

      1. The first Item is a hurdy-gurdy. It was made from plans provided by Musicmaker's Kits, but it's not one of their kits. I made it from
      "scratch" using all solid woods. (The only plywood used is in the rosettes and the wheel itself.) The soundboard is spruce, and the ribs, back, and neck/pegbox are walnut. The keys are made of maple. Because I was unhappy with their axle and wheel arrangement, I had an axle custom-machined to replace it. The instrument has new strings, and comes with a case converted from a suitcase and reinforced to protect the instrument.

      I don't have pictures of it, but it's identical in general shape and layout to the one offered by Musicmaker's, which can be seen at:
      http://www.harpkit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=hurdy

      2. The second instrument is a 10-string cittern. It has steel strings (basically a twelve-string guitar with the lower E strings missing) and tuned one step below a standard twelve-string guitar (although other tunings are of course possible). The soundboard is spruce, braced like a lute and sporting a hand-carved rosette. What makes this instrument distinctive (and more expensive than it otherwise would be) is that each of the ten tuning pegs is actually a tuning machine, allowing much surer tuning than friction pegs. It comes with a soft "gig bag."

      Pictures of this instruent may be found at:

      If for any reason you can't view these pictures, email me privately and I'll send the images to you. [Address is jlatorre AT midtown DOT net]

      I'm asking $750 for each of them. Remember if you pick them up at Estrella, you'll be sparing yourself not only the shipping charges, but the possibility that the instrument may get damaged in shipment. If you've ever wanted to buy one of these instruments at a very reasonable price, here's your chance. If you have any questions, please ask me off-list.

      --Johann von Drachenfels
      (West Kingdom)