Re: Muse on sabbatical

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 21, 2010
      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Mathurin Kerbusso" <mathurin@...> wrote:

      > Leah Raedaelf of Pagham wrote:
      >
      > > What do you draw on, where do you go for ideas, when your muse takes a vacation?
      >
      > The Muse doesn't like to be recalled from vacation. She can get very ugly when She is disturbed.

      I agree. Inspiration can't be ordered like a pizza. Sometimes things go underground for a reason that may or may not be immediately apparent to you.

      I find that if I try to force something that just isn't there, it hits back rather nastily, and I had a bad habit of compounding the pain by beating myself up over not being able to do X.

      I learned my lesson. Finally. I let myself relax. I decided that X could go hang until it comes back hat in hand and stands under my window shouting "STELLA! STELLA!" to my subconscious. And you know what happened? Y sparked my interest and creativity. And so did T and P.

      YMMV, but sometimes you just have to put a thing away and do something else.

      Saionji no Hanae
      West Kingdom
    • luciaelenascribe
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 21, 2010
        Heh - of course this'll sound biased, but I go to Bardic Madness. Not just for the challenges, but to hear how *other* people respond to the challenges, and see if that sparks something. I always come home with a few pages full of snippets and ideas.

        Other than that, I find people, and poke them (gently) until they tell me stories. Especially if they get excited or passionate about something. Some of the most fun ones start out with "Hey N'uncle Dagan - tell me about way back when you did X!" or "I know our barony has been doing X for decades, but *why* and who started it?"

        And if that doesn't work, it usually means those mental muscles are overtaxed and need their own vacation. Try something else for a while. Plant some flowers. Bake cookies. Dance. Fingerpaint. Cruise merchant's row. Watch something. Experience something.

        Z'good? Z'good :-)
        --Lucia