Re: [SCA_BARDS] Muse on sabbatical

  • Lisa Harmon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
      One exercise I have done is to write a haiku everyday, even when I don't "feel" like it. There are other short forms as well that this can be done with. The goal there was to do it, no matter how bad it was.
      Like playing scales on a musical instrument, really.

    • wuuga
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
        Well for myself, I have a compedative Muse it seems. Usually she kicks into hyperdrive if someone puts out a challenge or asks if they think I can do a particular topic. Other times it kicks in when someone tells me they're stuck and can't figure out another verse or something and she seems to like trying to show up the other person's muse. Sometimes she seems to get the attitude of "I can make something better than THAT" if I'm hearing someonelse's new piece. And then there's times I seem to have to ust take a break from even trying altogether until she gets jealous of the attention I'm giving one of my other arts and she sends me scrambling for a piece of paper to jo down all the things cascading out of my brain.

        Driscoll

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Leah Raedaelf of Pagham" <leah1066@...> wrote:

        > Question for the list....
        >
        > As a follow-up to a conversation I was having recently, I thought I'd pose the same question here.
        >
        > What do you draw on, where do you go for ideas, when your muse takes a vacation?
        >
        > I know that I find it easiest to write to a particular need, be it an event that needs a piece written, a person to praise, etc. Once the need is established, the piece falls into place for me because it has a particular job to do and the style is often predicated by that task as well. I wallow when trying to simply write 'something'.
        >
        > Leah, who is, yes, in mid-wallow

      • Lutr Ruckstaendewerfer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 21, 2010
          Not my own thoughs, but this seems relevant to the topic:

          http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

          Lutr

          Leah Raedaelf of Pagham wrote:
          > Question for the list....
          >
          > As a follow-up to a conversation I was having recently, I thought I'd pose the same question here.
          >
          > What do you draw on, where do you go for ideas, when your muse takes a vacation?
          >
          > I know that I find it easiest to write to a particular need, be it an event that needs a piece written, a person to praise, etc. Once the need is established, the piece falls into place for me because it has a particular job to do and the style is often predicated by that task as well. I wallow when trying to simply write 'something'.
          >
          > Leah, who is, yes, in mid-wallow

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 21, 2010
            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Mathurin Kerbusso" <mathurin@...> wrote:

            > Leah Raedaelf of Pagham wrote:
            >
            > > What do you draw on, where do you go for ideas, when your muse takes a vacation?
            >
            > The Muse doesn't like to be recalled from vacation. She can get very ugly when She is disturbed.

            I agree. Inspiration can't be ordered like a pizza. Sometimes things go underground for a reason that may or may not be immediately apparent to you.

            I find that if I try to force something that just isn't there, it hits back rather nastily, and I had a bad habit of compounding the pain by beating myself up over not being able to do X.

            I learned my lesson. Finally. I let myself relax. I decided that X could go hang until it comes back hat in hand and stands under my window shouting "STELLA! STELLA!" to my subconscious. And you know what happened? Y sparked my interest and creativity. And so did T and P.

            YMMV, but sometimes you just have to put a thing away and do something else.

            Saionji no Hanae
            West Kingdom
          • luciaelenascribe
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 21, 2010
              Heh - of course this'll sound biased, but I go to Bardic Madness. Not just for the challenges, but to hear how *other* people respond to the challenges, and see if that sparks something. I always come home with a few pages full of snippets and ideas.

              Other than that, I find people, and poke them (gently) until they tell me stories. Especially if they get excited or passionate about something. Some of the most fun ones start out with "Hey N'uncle Dagan - tell me about way back when you did X!" or "I know our barony has been doing X for decades, but *why* and who started it?"

              And if that doesn't work, it usually means those mental muscles are overtaxed and need their own vacation. Try something else for a while. Plant some flowers. Bake cookies. Dance. Fingerpaint. Cruise merchant's row. Watch something. Experience something.

              Z'good? Z'good :-)
              --Lucia