Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: New Song

  • Hilla Hamasdohtor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
      Well, here is the link to the song as sung. As far as the tune goes, I'll be honest here. I believe that it is a Hilla original, based off the music of a song I was working on a couple years back and never managed to get out of my head. It's definitely a tune that my brain has been kicking about for a while. I'm thinking that is why it is so familiar to me. However, as a caveat, it could be familiar because someone else's once-or-twice-heard song got stuck unwittingly in my subconscious, got mauled, and resurfaced as this little ditty. If anyone can lay claim to this little ditty, drop me a line, and I'll either give credit or come up with a new tune. However, as far as my knowledge stands now, a Hilla original tune, link below. Please do enjoy. Singable with blame where blame is due. However, if you do sing this, I am NOT responsible for any adverse weather that may occur in your vicinity. :-)

      http://www.wild-onions.org/uploads/CoconutsFromSpace.mp3

      Yours in service, if spreading this song can be considered a "service",
      Hilla

      wuuga wrote:

      just reading thew words, I'm both salivating and afraid at the same time to learn the tune to this. ;-) Maybe it's the pie though...

      Driscoll

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, Hilla Hamasdohtor <hilla@...> wrote:

      > This song is dedicated to my dear friend and heart-sister Theodhild, and
      > to Master Cerian Cantwr, and also to Dahrien Cordell. Thanks for the...
      > ah... inspiration. :-)
      >
      > --Hilla Hamasdohtor
      >
      > _*Coconuts from Space*_
      >
      > Here they come flying through the sky,
      > Here they come like big hairy rocks!
      > They don't sing, they don't chirp, they don't even make a sound,
      > Oh beware, they're soon forming flocks!
      >
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!
      >
      > Oh beware, their milk is not sweet!
      > Oh beware, meat is their repast.
      > They eat cat, they eat dog, but it's people they like best,
      > Run away, you'd better be fast!
      >
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!
      >
      > Run away, and lock all your doors!
      > Run away, find a place to hide!
      > Now don't open your cabinets, don't open your drawers,
      > It's too late, you'll find them inside!
      >
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!
      >
      > It's too late, now feel their sharp teeth!
      > It's too late, and now you must die!
      > It's the end of the human race, they take their revenge!
      > Just desserts: coconut cream pie!
      >
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!
      > Coconuts, coconuts from space!

    • Frederick J. Hollander
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        Flieg here --

        The tune sounds familiar to me, too, especially the chorus. Not
        familiar enough to identify, but familiar.

        On the other hand, there are only so many notes, and the style of this
        one will make it sound very similar to a lot of things that SCA bards
        sing. It does seem more like the kind of song that would be found at
        and SF convention filksing than an SCA bardic circle to me.

        Definitely questionable on the "service" aspect.

        --F.

        --
        & & & Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OL, OP. etc.
        ++ +++ ++ Flieg Hollander, flieg@...