Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Roving Bardic competition at GWW question

  • Mathurin Kerbusso
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 7, 2009
      Sharon Vasquez wrote:
      > Alas, I forgot to mention that I will be competing. I'm not hoping to
      > win, but I'm hoping to
      > do the best that I'm capable of.
      > Gillian

      Probably still not an issue. But don't worry about it, either way. If
      asked, use Flieg's response. :-)

      Play for the audience. Do your best. All else is naught.

      --
      Mathurin
      "Non nobis solum"
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2009
        Yes, Frederick of Holland is also Flieg. Possessor of many titles and even more talents.
        He's probably off to Great Western War at this point, though. Some of us still have to work for two more days....

        Leah

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 10:04 -0400, corrie wrote:
        > > The name of His Grace Duke Flieg
        >

        > This is probably a stupid question, but is Duke Flieg the same person as
        > Duke Frederick of Holland? If so, I had the pleasure of meeting you at
        > Pennsic this year, at the blood drive.
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
        > fesswise reversed sable.
        >
        > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

      • Karen
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2009
          I mostly lurk, but THIS is a question I can actually answer! I'm a classical guitarist of many years' study (since 1970, when I was 10 and sick of piano). My favorite period is just after the SCA timeframe (late 1600 to early 1700 Spanish), but I've played a lot of Medieval and Renaissance music over the years, as well. Fingerstyle is period, as is some strumming (called rasgueado in Spanish). Check out music for guitar (or adapted) by Praetorius, Dowland, and Robert Johnson for starters. There's an excellent book, The Renaissance Guitar, by Fred Noad, with good arrangements and notes on playing. I would grade it as intermediate/advanced, though there are some simpler pieces, as well. It's currently out of print, but Amazon usually has some copies kicking around, and some of the music websites like Lark in the Morning or Boulder Early Music Shop may have it.

          Allan Alexander also has some nice books of Medieval and Renaissance guitar arrangements.
          http://www.guitarandlute.com/book-cd.html
          He also has a very helpful book on learning to read lute tabulature for guitar.

          Play on!

          Lady Ceridwen ferch Grufydd
          Barony of Twin Moons, Atenveldt

          Sharon Vasquez wrote:

          I'm not sure what the proper manner is.  Is the right way simply to pluck or strum the strings with no elaborate stuff?
          (I priced lutes.  pricey suckers!)
          Gillian

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 7, 2009
            I agree completely about the Noad book. As to any book by Allen Alexander (with or without Jessica Walsh collaborating) is to beware of the provenance of the piece in question. They freely intermingle their own compositions in books titled things like Renaissance Music or Ancient Airs with pieces that are legitimately from the time period. Pretty pieces, I grant you, but not what you are expecting based on the title of the book.

            Leah, learning guitar currently

            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Karen <desertdreameraz@...> wrote:

            > I mostly lurk, but THIS is a question I can actually answer! I'm a
            > classical guitarist of many years' study (since 1970, when I was 10 and
            > sick of piano). My favorite period is just after the SCA timeframe (late
            > 1600 to early 1700 Spanish), but I've played a lot of Medieval and
            > Renaissance music over the years, as well. Fingerstyle is period, as is
            > some strumming (called rasgueado in Spanish). Check out music for guitar
            > (or adapted) by Praetorius, Dowland, and Robert Johnson for starters.
            > There's an excellent book, The Renaissance Guitar, by Fred Noad, with
            > good arrangements and notes on playing. I would grade it as
            > intermediate/advanced, though there are some simpler pieces, as well.
            > It's currently out of print, but Amazon usually has some copies kicking
            > around, and some of the music websites like Lark in the Morning or
            > Boulder Early Music Shop may have it.
            >
            > Allan Alexander also has some nice books of Medieval and Renaissance
            > guitar arrangements.
            > http://www.guitarandlute.com/book-cd.html
            > He also has a very helpful book on learning to read lute tabulature for
            > guitar.
            >
            > Play on!
            >
            > Lady Ceridwen ferch Grufydd
            > Barony of Twin Moons, Atenveldt
            >
            > Sharon Vasquez wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm not sure what the proper manner is. Is the right way simply to
            > > pluck or strum the strings with no elaborate stuff?
            > > (I priced lutes. pricey suckers!)
            > > Gillian

          • Karen
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 7, 2009
              True, and I should have mentioned it. He IS pretty good (albeit brief) in giving sources and indicating what he's written, himself, even variations on original work.

              One more book, slightly out of period, but very rich for documentation on tabulature and near-period playing styles is a new one. It was written by one of my own teacher's teachers at ASU, and I'm alternately having fits and sheer bliss working through it.

              http://www.frankkoonce.com/publications.php?pub=spanish_anthology

              AND, Joy of Joys, I just discovered that he has a new, earlier book available. Woooooo!
              http://www.frankkoonce.com/publications.php?pub=ren_vihuela

              Guess what I'm buying next! LOL

              Ceridwen

              -