Re: [SCA_BARDS] you might have seen this but...

  • Lisa Harmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
      I wonder if they tried to blow it?

    • Lutr Ruckstaendewerfer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
        Lisa Harmon wrote:

        > I wonder if they tried to blow it?

        The BBC had an article on (I think) this flute a while ago. They didn't
        play it, but they did make a replica from another prehistoric bone, and
        played that. There's a recording:

        Lutr
      • Mallye
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
          So what it really boils down to is music, the work of the lowly bard,
          may just be the reason we exist. Hmm... Mon raison d'être? Musique!

          Mallye

          ---
          If you can walk, then you can dance.
          If you can talk, then you can sing.

          On Aug 19, 2009, at 4:36 AM, Lutr Ruckstaendewerfer
          <lutr@...> wrote:

          > Lisa Harmon wrote:
          >>

          >> I wonder if they tried to blow it?
          >>

          > The BBC had an article on (I think) this flute a while ago. They
          > didn't
          > play it, but they did make a replica from another prehistoric bone,
          > and
          > played that. There's a recording:
          >
          > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8117915.stm
          >
          > Lutr

        • Lisa Harmon
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
            Mouth music- word-sounds came first- so it's the music of poetry that came first. þ~

            --- On Wed, 8/19/09, Mallye <mallye13@...> wrote:

            > So what it really boils down to is
            > music, the work of the lowly bard,
            > may just be the reason we exist. Hmm... Mon raison d'être?
            > Musique!

          • Mathurin Kerbusso
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
              Mallye wrote:
              > So what it really boils down to is music, the work of the lowly bard,
              > may just be the reason we exist. Hmm... Mon raison d'être? Musique!

              That is not what the article said.

              Music was only one expression of a behavioral and cognitive distinction
              between modern humans and Neanderthals. As was representative art,
              sculpture, ornamentation, esthetics applied to practical arts, advanced
              technologies including boat-building, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

              While the bardic arts are important, to claim primacy for them in the
              human condition is both inaccurate and hubristic. And any bard worthy of
              the name knows the penalty for hubris. Right? :-)

              --
              Mathurin
              "Non nobis solum"
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 20, 2009
                Yeah, she writes the piece and then hands it to me to perform. It's a crowd
                allergy thing so I call her the closet bard. Put me on the boards in front
                of a crowd and I'm happier than a pig in slop.

                Brad

                Subject: Re: [SCA_BARDS] post pennsic poem

                closet bard? pretty cool stuff
                Gillian