New song written while striking camp yesterday

  • storybard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 10, 2009
      One More Pennsic
      by Mistress Gabrielle d'Auvergne
      Pennsic XXXVIII
      copyright©Czarnota2009

      One more Pennsic, It's good to be alive
      Just one more Pennsic, All the battles to survive
      One more Pennsic, against the sun and rain
      And we'll meet on Cooper's shore again.

      Oh, we'll meet on Cooper's shore where we'll dance and sing and fight
      Go shopping in the market place and walk the roads by night
      We'll learn at University and see a trav'ling show
      Then watch it vanish in the mist to rise again we know.

      One more Pennsic, It's good to be alive
      Just one more Pennsic, All the battles to survive
      One more Pennsic, against the sun and rain
      And we'll meet on Cooper's shore again.

      Instrumental break

      Oh, the Dragonship has carried the ashes of our past
      While moonlight strikes the water, We hold our mem'ries fast
      We gather round the fire with friends both new and old
      And we listen to our history and stories as they're told.

      Because it's
      One more Pennsic, It's good to be alive
      Just one more Pennsic, All the battles to survive
      One more Pennsic, against the sun and rain
      And we'll meet on Cooper's shore again.

      Oh, we'll meet on Cooper's shore, we'll meet on Cooper's shore
      It's good to be alive and meet on Cooper's shore.

      Gabrielle d'Auvergne
    • Dana
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 10, 2009
        Very nicely done!
        -clarice

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 10, 2009
          got a tune?

          Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
          Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around Chaotic Neutral guy
          REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 10, 2009
            In a message dated 8/10/2009 7:28:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lordgyric@... writes:
            got a tune?

            Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
            Yes it has a tune, which I think I wrote but sometimes they morph from other tunes I have heard. In other words it is not a filke. Also, since I cannot write notations all I can do is wait until next year to sing it so others might learn it.

            Gabrielle d'Auvergne
          • Mathurin Kerbusso
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 11, 2009
              storybard@... wrote:

              > Also, since I
              > cannot
              > write notations all I can do is wait until next year to sing it so others
              > might learn it.

              No, that is not all that you can do. :-)

              If you have an MP3 player, it probably has a recording feature.

              If not, decent microphones are inexpensive:
              http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0220985

              Audacity is a free recording/editing program for Windows, Mac, and Linux:
              http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

              The Internet Archive provides free online storage, a web-based upload
              feature, a built in streaming player, and built in Creative Commons
              licensing to protect your work and still make it available for others:
              http://www.archive.org

              There are many tutorials on how to use all of these items:
              http://www.google.com/search?q=recording+with+audacity

              Alot is achievable with these simple tools:
              http://www.calonsound.info

              --
              Mathurin
              "Non nobis solum"

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
                  In a message dated 8/11/2009 12:33:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mathurin@... writes:
                  If you have an MP3 player, it probably has a recording feature.
                  From the technologically challenged to one who seems to know the mysteries: nice idea. I am on my way to developing a podcast for use professionally and will put some thought on your suggestions in that same time frame. I am just learning this stuff slowly. Thanks for the info.

                  Gabrielle d'Auvergne
                • Mathurin Kerbusso
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
                    storybard@... wrote:

                    > From the technologically challenged to one who seems to know the
                    > mysteries:
                    > nice idea.

                    Thanks.

                    I initially set up a home studio and a few of us recorded CDs for teaching
                    the songs that are popular in Calontir. A couple of years ago I went
                    portable and started the Calonsound Project. So I have a significant
                    amount of research and experience in doing this stuff on the ultra-cheap,
                    and using the technology to enhance the oral tradition not supplant it. I
                    will happily share with anyone who is interested.

                    --
                    Mathurin
                    "Non nobis solum"
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                      M' lord Mathurin,

                      Perhaps, for posterity and to aid us all in sharing music over the Known World, you could summarize your experiences and suggestions in a document which could be housed here on the list?

                      I know many people whose songs I would hear if I could, and often lament that I find lyrics all over but few with tune or sheet music.

                      Is that something you might be interested in doing to share with the community? The "portable" option is especially interesting as I find that SCAdian performances are usually at their best in the "native environment" - at an event, with a crowd or a fire, warts and all.

                      Please, what equipment do you use to "go native" ??

                      Thank you!

                      Aneleda Falconbridge

                      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Mathurin Kerbusso" <mathurin@...> wrote:

                      > storybard@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > From the technologically challenged to one who seems to know the
                      > > mysteries:
                      > > nice idea.
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > I initially set up a home studio and a few of us recorded CDs for teaching
                      > the songs that are popular in Calontir. A couple of years ago I went
                      > portable and started the Calonsound Project. So I have a significant
                      > amount of research and experience in doing this stuff on the ultra-cheap,
                      > and using the technology to enhance the oral tradition not supplant it. I
                      > will happily share with anyone who is interested.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Mathurin
                      > "Non nobis solum"

                    • Mathurin Kerbusso
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                        Lady Aneleda Falconbridge wrote:
                        > M' lord Mathurin,
                        >
                        > Perhaps, for posterity and to aid us all in sharing music over the Known
                        > World, you could summarize your experiences and suggestions in a document
                        > which could be housed here on the list?

                        Alas, I doubt I will have time for such an endeavor in the near future,
                        but I can elaborate a bit on my earlier post.

                        For simply sharing your songs a simple and inexpensive microphone plugged
                        into any computer will suffice. The free program Audacity
                        (audacity.sourceforge.net)which I referenced earlier will allow the you to
                        record and edit. There is another program that Mistress Bess Darnley used
                        to great effect to send her recording to me, but I will have to provide
                        that information later. In any case, the results will not be "CD quality"
                        but will be more than adequate to make a very usable and faithful
                        recording.

                        The Internet Archive (archive.org)is a free resource that one you can
                        upload these recordings to. This is a massive repository which, for
                        example, hosts the Internet Wayback Machine. The result will be a link
                        which you can post in emails, Facebook/Myspace, blogs, websites, etc. If
                        you go to calonsound.info, under Submitting, there are a couple of
                        tutorials on how to upload; just ignore all the CalonSound Project
                        specific information, and I highly recommend Method One, the website
                        upload. Here is a link to the tutorial:
                        (http://calonsound.info/archives/2008/02/entry_26.php)

                        > The "portable" option is especially interesting as I find that
                        > SCAdian performances are usually at their best in the "native environment"
                        > - at an event, with a crowd or a fire, warts and all.
                        >
                        > Please, what equipment do you use to "go native" ??

                        That is bit more involved, and a bit pricier. What I found that was the
                        best fit for the purpose -- and my budget -- was the Zoom H2 Handy
                        Recorder. (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodid=1916)
                        I can say from personal experience that none of the information on that
                        product page is hype. If you go to calonsound.info and go to the Jubilee
                        recordings all but one (Mistress Bess's) were made with this device at the
                        event.

                        The device fits in your hand, it and all of its accessories fit in a small
                        camera case. I carry either a portable mic stand or camera tripod to
                        prevent handling noise, but I can use it handheld if I am very careful.
                        When I get home I then transfer the recordings to my computer and edit in
                        Audacity. It really is more like "audio photography" than anything else.

                        --
                        Mathurin
                        "Non nobis solum"
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                          M' lord Mathurin,

                          Thank you so much for your post! I will certainly look into the Zoom! Audio photography is a great description - I use a minidisk recorder and mic for formal recordings and a tiny iriver thing for when it needs to be really portable. This seems like an excellent mix of quality and portability!

                          Your information will be really useful! I thank you for taking the time to put it all down!

                          Servite cum cantico,
                          Aneleda
                        • Mathurin Kerbusso
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 15, 2009
                            Mathurin Kerbusso wrote:

                            > There is another program that Mistress Bess Darnley used
                            > to great effect to send her recording to me, but I will have to provide
                            > that information later.

                            As promised, here is a link to that free recording software. It did a
                            very good job and Bess found it quite simple to use.

                            http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/Audio_Recorder_for_FREE_2009_Download.html

                            --
                            Mathurin
                            "Non nobis solum"
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 16, 2009
                              I can write notation, if you can get the thing on You-Tube, or something else techie.  Tunes are difficult for me, so huzzah!
                              Gillian

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 16, 2009
                                I'm thrilled to see this discussion.  My barony assures me that all bardic work is written down somewhere, although I haven't found out where yet.
                                Gillian

                                Perhaps, for posterity and to aid us all in sharing music over the Known World, you could summarize your experiences and suggestions in a document which could be housed here on the list?

                                I know many people whose songs I would hear if I could, and often lament that I find lyrics all over but few with tune or sheet music.

                                Is that something you might be interested in doing to share with the community? The "portable" option is especially interesting as I find that SCAdian performances are usually at their best in the "native environment" - at an event, with a crowd or a fire, warts and all.

                                Please, what equipment do you use to "go native" ??

                                Thank you!

                                Aneleda Falconbridge

                                --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, "Mathurin Kerbusso" <mathurin@.. .> wrote:

                                > storybard@.. . wrote:
                                >
                                > > From the technologically challenged to one who seems to know the
                                > > mysteries:
                                > > nice idea.
                                >
                                > Thanks.
                                >
                                > I initially set up a home studio and a few of us recorded CDs for teaching
                                > the songs that are popular in Calontir. A couple of years ago I went
                                > portable and started the Calonsound Project. So I have a significant
                                > amount of research and experience in doing this stuff on the ultra-cheap,
                                > and using the technology to enhance the oral tradition not supplant it. I
                                > will happily share with anyone who is interested.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Mathurin
                                > "Non nobis solum"

                              • Mathurin Kerbusso
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 16, 2009
                                  Sharon Vasquez wrote:

                                  > I'm thrilled to see this discussion. My barony assures me that all
                                  > bardic work is written down somewhere, although I haven't found out
                                  > where yet.
                                  > Gillian

                                  Not quite! :-) Though a great deal of it is. But usually only the
                                  lyrics, either because the artist is not comfortable with music
                                  notation, or doesn't perceive it as useful since most of the audience
                                  won't be familiar with notation either. Some folks with skill have put
                                  up MIDI files of some songs calonsong.org http://calonsong.org/

                                  For primary sourced material, go to
                                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/minstrel.html

                                  --
                                  Mathurin
                                  "Non nobis solum"
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 17, 2009
                                    Gillian

                                    My tune is not to instrumentation, vocal only. If I can work it up on guitar I will let you know. Right now, I'm still unpacking the van and trying to get the Pennsic dust and mud off everything. Of course, that's impossible.

                                    Gabrielle d'Auvergne
                                  • Linda Segal
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 17, 2009
                                      Woot, glad to know someone has written my stuff all down for me.
                                      Post me the link, huh? <G>

                                      Leah

                                      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Vasquez <vasnut456@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm thrilled to see this discussion. My barony assures me that all bardic work is written down somewhere, although I haven't found out where yet.
                                      > Gillian
                                    • Linda Segal
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 17, 2009
                                        Ah, the beauty of filk emerges again. Lyric sheets are all that's needed if you can say 'to Edi Beo' or 'to Stingo' or 'to House at Pooh Corner' for that matter.

                                        Leah