Re: [SCA_BARDS] Searching for a Russian bardic piece

  • David Friedman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
      If you are only interested in music, I can't help you, but there are
      a few good period Russian stories. One about a porridge well, another
      about setting a city ablaze.

      --
      David/Cariadoc
      www.daviddfriedman.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Ld Alexander von Ness" <bapollreisz@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all!! My name is Alexander. I am searching for a good Russian bardic piece. If anybody has any good (or even not-so-good) suggestions. I would be forever in your debt.
        >
        > As always!!
        > HL Alexander von Ness

        Owain Phyfe sings a Ukrainian song on the Tales from the Vineyard album. I have no idea how period it is nor do I know where to get the words. Sometimes a search on google can get you lyrics.

        For what its worth!

        Edmund
      • David Friedman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          >There are a great many wonderful folktales from Russia. The Hut of
          >Baba Yaga, The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship, and so on. A
          >brief search for "russian folk music" produced a great deal of
          >interesting material as well.

          Note that one can't count on folk tales being period. That doesn't
          mean you can't use them, of course, but it is a distinction worth
          making.

          There are, however, period sources for Russian stories.
          --
          David/Cariadoc
          www.daviddfriedman.com