Searching for a Russian bardic piece

  • Ld Alexander von Ness
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
      Greetings all!! My name is Alexander. I am searching for a good Russian bardic piece. If anybody has any good (or even not-so-good) suggestions. I would be forever in your debt.

      As always!!
      HL Alexander von Ness
    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        What sort of piece are you looking for? The only surviving Russian
        music from the Middle Ages that I know of is church music--Orthodox
        chant. Would a folk song do?

        Pax,
        Lady Cecilia de Cambrige

        On 7/1/09, Ld Alexander von Ness <bapollreisz@...> wrote:
        > Greetings all!! My name is Alexander. I am searching for a good Russian
        > bardic piece. If anybody has any good (or even not-so-good) suggestions. I
        > would be forever in your debt.
        >
        > As always!!
        > HL Alexander von Ness

      • Ld Alexander von Ness
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          A folk song would work perfectly!! I was surprised at how difficult it was to find any period Russian pieces. Now I see why. :)

          As Always,
          HL Alexander

          "Drink up me heartis, YO HO!!"

          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:

          > What sort of piece are you looking for? The only surviving Russian
          > music from the Middle Ages that I know of is church music--Orthodox
          > chant. Would a folk song do?
          >
          > Pax,
          > Lady Cecilia de Cambrige
          >
          > On 7/1/09, Ld Alexander von Ness <bapollreisz@...> wrote:
          > > Greetings all!! My name is Alexander. I am searching for a good Russian
          > > bardic piece. If anybody has any good (or even not-so-good) suggestions. I
          > > would be forever in your debt.
          > >
          > > As always!!
          > > HL Alexander von Ness

        • Rurik
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
            An awful lot of information from that region became very unavailable after
            1917, and it got worse after 1945. Since 1988 more information has been
            getting out, but it's been very slow.

            Rurik

            wrote:

            > What sort of piece are you looking for? The only surviving Russian
            > music from the Middle Ages that I know of is church music--Orthodox
            > chant. Would a folk song do?
            >
            > Pax,
            > Lady Cecilia de Cambrige
            >
            > On 7/1/09, Ld Alexander von Ness <bapollreisz@...> wrote:
            > > Greetings all!! My name is Alexander. I am searching for a good Russian
            > > bardic piece. If anybody has any good (or even not-so-good) suggestions.
            > > would be forever in your debt.
            > >
            > > As always!!
            > > HL Alexander von Ness

          • corrie
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
              There are a great many wonderful folktales from Russia. The Hut of
              Baba Yaga, The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship, and so on. A
              brief search for "russian folk music" produced a great deal of
              interesting material as well.
            • Mark Cipra
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                In fact I think there's a class for you this Pennsic ... "Period Sources for Russian Bards", currently scheduled for 8/3 and 8/5.

                Mark Cipra
                __

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                  If you are only interested in music, I can't help you, but there are
                  a few good period Russian stories. One about a porridge well, another
                  about setting a city ablaze.

                  --
                  David/Cariadoc
                  www.daviddfriedman.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                    --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Ld Alexander von Ness" <bapollreisz@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings all!! My name is Alexander. I am searching for a good Russian bardic piece. If anybody has any good (or even not-so-good) suggestions. I would be forever in your debt.
                    >
                    > As always!!
                    > HL Alexander von Ness

                    Owain Phyfe sings a Ukrainian song on the Tales from the Vineyard album. I have no idea how period it is nor do I know where to get the words. Sometimes a search on google can get you lyrics.

                    For what its worth!

                    Edmund
                  • David Friedman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                      >There are a great many wonderful folktales from Russia. The Hut of
                      >Baba Yaga, The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship, and so on. A
                      >brief search for "russian folk music" produced a great deal of
                      >interesting material as well.

                      Note that one can't count on folk tales being period. That doesn't
                      mean you can't use them, of course, but it is a distinction worth
                      making.

                      There are, however, period sources for Russian stories.
                      --
                      David/Cariadoc
                      www.daviddfriedman.com