Bardic Activities at NOWM

  • Mark Cipra
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Northern Oaken War Maneuvers (June 12-14):
          http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/nowm13.html
      will have a very strong bardic presence this year.

      The general plan is to have a large "town square" anchored by the pavillion and a bardic coffee house, with the merchants and other activities in between.  The pavillion will be the site of dance classes and some bardic performances.  The other bardic stuff will be at the Magic Carpet Kavehane, northern Oaken's finest Celtistani bardic coffee house.  If you have not previously encountered the Kavehane, you should know that when there are no scheduled activities (see below), people simply stop by for coffee and sweets, which can be had for the price of a song, a tune, a dance, or a tale.  The Kavehane will be open all day, and will be the site of the bardic circle after dark.

      The schedule (subject to change, natch):

      11am - Kavehane opens

      11:30-1 - Lunchtime performances in the pavillion.

      1pm - Roundtable:  Lady Kateryn Draper will host a discussion of bardic entries in A&S competitions.  Great place to pick up tips on best practices, to voice compaints :) etc.  We'd love to have participation from people who have gone through the process as well as those who are just starting out.

      3pm - Harper's Hour:  Bring your strings and jam.  All types of instruments welcome.

      4:30 - Bardic Brawl - The Girlie-Manne Challenge:  This is a couples competition (see the description on the web site).  Due to a limited time window, advance sign-up (at the kavehane) is required.  Note the time change.

      5:30 - Pre-court entertainment

      After dark:  Bardic Revel.  "When the sun goes down the Magic Carpet Kavehane lights up with songs, stories and musical mayhem.  Prices are slashed and all are welcome to come to listen or participate in this eclectic bardic circle."  This is an unthemed circle, which we're terming Bardic Revel so the normals aren't as frightened.  During the evening at NOWM, there are always a number of parties, most notably a Hafla.  We're locating the kavehane as far as we can from the drums :) and we're hoping to have folks wandering back and forth between the activities.  Middle eastern types are welcome, provided they follow the customs of the bardic circle (e.g., limit performance times).

      Llywelyn Glyndwr
      Chief Barista, Magic Carpet Kavehane
      Mark Cipra
      on behalf of
      Juliane Bechaumpe
      Mistress of the Revels

      "90% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen