Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?

Expand Messages
  • Arsieu de Bordeaux
    Something wrong with writing filks? Say it ain t so! *faints* -=Arsieu, filk writer since - well, all his life=- P.S. The Thor numiber is close to being
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Something wrong with writing filks? Say it ain't so! *faints*

      -=Arsieu, filk writer since - well, all his life=-

      P.S. The "Thor" numiber is close to being finished... stand by for further up(down)dates. ;)


      > What a relief! Being quite new, I thought there might be something wrong with writing filks. I haven't had the chance to hear you lovely bards, so I'm flying blind here.

      > I don't know if I'll ever be up to your standards, but I'm glad to know that I can honor my barony with a fun filk.

      > Lady Gillian
    • Sharon Vasquez
      I m in Eldern Hills, a barony of Ansteorra. My first feast will be in May (Excited!) so there has to be a commemorative filk. So far, I m thinking Yellow
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2 3:55 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        I'm in Eldern Hills, a barony of Ansteorra.  My first feast will be in May (Excited!) so there has to be a commemorative filk.  So far, I'm thinking "Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini"--
        It was a finger-lickin',
        honey-chicken,
        Oh my God the times a-tickin. 
            Well, that's it so far. or maybe
        Saffron,spices
        somethin'-rice
        is that the pottage?
         cook it twice.
            Obviously must think harder. 
        Thanks, Lovey
        Lady Gillian


        From: Linda Segal <leah1066@...>
        To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:37:33 PM
        Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?

        Gillian,

        Where are you located? Here in the West we have a great tolerance, even perhaps an affection, for filk. I understand (inter-kingdom anthropology being what it is) that this is less the case in some places. Personally, I can't live without it, even if I do write (what seems like) a ton of original work.

        I've been guilty of perpetrating one or two, such as "The Lady Doesn't Camp"-- but as I said earlier, it's a tough stretch fo rme to write funny. I greatly admire the ability to make folks chuckle. My strengths are elsewhere.

        Leah

        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, Sharon Vasquez <vasnut456@. ..> wrote:
        >
        > What a relief! Being quite new, I thought there might be something wrong with writing filks. I haven't had the chance to hear you lovely bards, so I'm flying blind here.
        >
        > I don't know if I'll ever be up to your standards, but I'm glad to know that I can honor my barony with a fun filk.
        > Lady Gillian
        >
        >
        > ____________ _________ _________ __
        > From: Lady Aneleda Falconbridge <aneleda@... >
        > To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com
        > Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 9:01:24 AM
        > Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?
        >
        >
        > Lots of actual period music lends to filking, if you want to both be serious/period and silly. (Plus, filking to tunes was as popular then as it is now!)
        >
        > Some don't even need *much* change to become funny. Dowland's dramatic and graceful "Flow My Tears" needs only a first verse change from:
        >
        > Flow, my tears, fall from your springs!
        > Exiled for ever, let me mourn;
        > Where night's black bird her sad infamy sings,
        > There let me live forlorn.
        >
        > to morph into a brewer's nightmare starting with:
        >
        > Flow, my beers, fall'n by the score!
        > Exiled for ever, how I mourn;
        > Where night black porter trickles on stone floor,
        > There let me live forlorn.
        >
        > The rest of the song, in the context of a brewer who has lost a really good batch of porter, takes on a whole new cast. (Hey, some weep for lost love, some for lost opportunity, and some for lost beverages... )
        >
        > But in all not-seriousness - take what you know & what you like, and play. Get out a rhyming dictionary and play rhyming mad libs with your favorite songs. (Or regular mad libs, which could also be a good time: Alas, my (noun) you do me wrong, to (verb) me off so (adverb)...)
        >
        > Finally, take favorite songs and try them in unusual ways (Master Efenwealt Wyslte s "Do Wop Greensleeves" is a stellar example; as is the madrigal "April is in My Mistress' Face," which can be sung in *perfect* redneck hillbilly.)
        >
        > So, in addition to creating new from scratch funny, you can refurbish favorite tunes to be funny too. And it might be a more comfy starting place if seriousness has been your comfort zone. Funny done straight-faced is often the funniest of all.
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > - Aneleda
        >
        > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, Kihe Blackeagle <KiheBard@ .> wrote:
        > >*snip*
        > Commit an act of filk -- even the filking of a filk -- even if you never let it out of the captivity of your own home. Example: "Weird Al" parodied _Lola_ as _Yoda_, so what's keeping you from taking an SCA twist and writing a lyric _Sold-jah_ (Soldier)?
        >


      • Justin Crouch
        I m already in love with it. You must share the finished version. Leonardus ... May (Excited!) so there has to be a commemorative filk. So far, I m thinking
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2 6:32 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          I'm already in love with it. You must share the finished version.

          Leonardus


          Sharon Vasquez wrote:


          >I'm in Eldern Hills, a barony of Ansteorra. My first feast will be in
          May (Excited!) so there has to be a commemorative filk. So far, I'm
          thinking "Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini"--
          >It was a finger-lickin',
          >honey-chicken,
          >Oh my God the times a-tickin.
          > Well, that's it so far. or maybe
          >Saffron,spices
          >somethin'-rice
          >is that the pottage?
          > cook it twice.
          > Obviously must think harder.
          >Thanks, Lovey
          >Lady Gillian
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >________________________________
          >From: Linda Segal <leah1066@...>
          >To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
          >Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:37:33 PM
          >Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?
          >
          >
          >Gillian,
          >
          >Where are you located? Here in the West we have a great tolerance,
          even perhaps an affection, for filk. I understand (inter-kingdom
          anthropology being what it is) that this is less the case in some
          places. Personally, I can't live without it, even if I do write (what
          seems like) a ton of original work.
          >
          >I've been guilty of perpetrating one or two, such as "The Lady Doesn't
          Camp"-- but as I said earlier, it's a tough stretch fo rme to write
          funny. I greatly admire the ability to make folks chuckle. My
          strengths are elsewhere.
          >
          >Leah
          >
          >--- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, Sharon Vasquez <vasnut456@. ..>
          wrote:
          >>
          >> What a relief! Being quite new, I thought there might be something
          wrong with writing filks. I haven't had the chance to hear you lovely
          bards, so I'm flying blind here.
          >>
          >> I don't know if I'll ever be up to your standards, but I'm glad to
          know that I can honor my barony with a fun filk.
          >> Lady Gillian
          >>
          >>
          >> ____________ _________ _________ __
          >> From: Lady Aneleda Falconbridge <aneleda@... >
          >> To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com
          >> Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 9:01:24 AM
          >> Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?
          >>
          >>
          >> Lots of actual period music lends to filking, if you want to both be
          serious/period and silly. (Plus, filking to tunes was as popular then
          as it is now!)
          >>
          >> Some don't even need *much* change to become funny. Dowland's
          dramatic and graceful "Flow My Tears" needs only a first verse change
          from:
          >>
          >> Flow, my tears, fall from your springs!
          >> Exiled for ever, let me mourn;
          >> Where night's black bird her sad infamy sings,
          >> There let me live forlorn.
          >>
          >> to morph into a brewer's nightmare starting with:
          >>
          >> Flow, my beers, fall'n by the score!
          >> Exiled for ever, how I mourn;
          >> Where night black porter trickles on stone floor,
          >> There let me live forlorn.
          >>
          >> The rest of the song, in the context of a brewer who has lost a really
          good batch of porter, takes on a whole new cast. (Hey, some weep for
          lost love, some for lost opportunity, and some for lost beverages... )
          >>
          >> But in all not-seriousness - take what you know & what you like, and
          play. Get out a rhyming dictionary and play rhyming mad libs with your
          favorite songs. (Or regular mad libs, which could also be a good time:
          Alas, my (noun) you do me wrong, to (verb) me off so (adverb)...)
          >>
          >> Finally, take favorite songs and try them in unusual ways (Master
          Efenwealt Wyslte s "Do Wop Greensleeves" is a stellar example; as is
          the madrigal "April is in My Mistress' Face," which can be sung in
          *perfect* redneck hillbilly.)
          >>
          >> So, in addition to creating new from scratch funny, you can refurbish
          favorite tunes to be funny too. And it might be a more comfy starting
          place if seriousness has been your comfort zone. Funny done
          straight-faced is often the funniest of all.
          >>
          >> Good luck!
          >>
          >> - Aneleda
          >>
          >> --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, Kihe Blackeagle <KiheBard@ .> wrote:
          >> >*snip*
          >> Commit an act of filk -- even the filking of a filk -- even if you
          never let it out of the captivity of your own home. Example: "Weird
          Al" parodied _Lola_ as _Yoda_, so what's keeping you from taking an SCA
          twist and writing a lyric _Sold-jah_ (Soldier)?
          >>
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >

          ----------------------
          Leonardus de Bellewode
          Justin W. Crouch
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          ... You re off to a great start! By way of offering inspiration... She was afraid to come out of the kitchen. She was afraid of what people would say. She was
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2 6:44 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 08:32 -0500, Justin Crouch wrote:
            > >It was a finger-lickin',
            > >honey-chicken,
            > >Oh my God the times a-tickin.
            > > Well, that's it so far. or maybe
            > >Saffron,spices
            > >somethin'-rice
            > >is that the pottage?
            > > cook it twice.
            > > Obviously must think harder.
            > >Thanks, Lovey
            > >Lady Gillian


            You're off to a great start!

            By way of offering inspiration...



            She was afraid to come out of the kitchen.
            She was afraid of what people would say.
            She was afraid to go into the feast hall.
            So inside the kitchen she'll stay.

            It was a finger-lickin' honey chicken
            Omigod! The time's a-tickin'
            That she served for the first course tonight.
            A finger-lickin' honey chicken
            It's too raw -- that bird's still kickin'!
            Back to the oven, before it takes flight!

            --
            ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
            Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
            Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            ... Ooooh.... Don t forget that spoken intro to the refrain ( One, two, three, four, tell the people what she wore in the original). May I suggest: Two,
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2 6:48 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 08:32 -0500, Justin Crouch wrote:
              > Sharon Vasquez wrote:
              >
              >
              > >I'm in Eldern Hills, a barony of Ansteorra. My first feast will be
              > in
              > May (Excited!) so there has to be a commemorative filk.


              Ooooh.... Don't forget that spoken intro to the refrain ("One, two,
              three, four, tell the people what she wore" in the original).

              May I suggest:

              "Two, four, six, eight, try to guess what's on your plate!"

              Feel free to use, adapt, ignore, or discard any of my contribs as you
              see fit. No offense taken if you don't like any of them, as they're just
              random sparks from the coals of my brain. :-)

              Justin

              --
              ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
              Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
              Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Sharon Vasquez
              That s hilarious! I can borrow, right? ________________________________ From: Justinos Tekton called Justin To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2 1:41 PM
              • 0 Attachment
                That's hilarious!  I can borrow, right?


                From: Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
                To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
                Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:44:20 AM
                Subject: Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?

                On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 08:32 -0500, Justin Crouch wrote:
                > >It was a finger-lickin' ,
                > >honey-chicken,
                > >Oh my God the times a-tickin.
                > > Well, that's it so far. or maybe
                > >Saffron,spices
                > >somethin'-rice
                > >is that the pottage?
                > > cook it twice.
                > > Obviously must think harder.
                > >Thanks, Lovey
                > >Lady Gillian

                You're off to a great start!

                By way of offering inspiration. ..

                She was afraid to come out of the kitchen.
                She was afraid of what people would say.
                She was afraid to go into the feast hall.
                So inside the kitchen she'll stay.

                It was a finger-lickin' honey chicken
                Omigod! The time's a-tickin'
                That she served for the first course tonight.
                A finger-lickin' honey chicken
                It's too raw -- that bird's still kickin'!
                Back to the oven, before it takes flight!

                --
                ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()
                Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
                Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/


              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                ... Be my guest; it was my intent that you could use the lyrics if you wish. :-) Justin -- ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 2 2:02 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 13:41 -0700, Sharon Vasquez wrote:
                  > That's hilarious! I can borrow, right?


                  Be my guest; it was my intent that you could use the lyrics if you
                  wish. :-)

                  Justin

                  --
                  ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
                  Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
                  Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • Stephen R. Melvin
                  And you can also look for inspiration to Master Ioseph s Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Little Rabbit Fur Bikini... -Rathflaed
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 4 8:20 PM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    And you can also look for inspiration to Master Ioseph's Itsy Bitsy
                    Teeny Weenie Little Rabbit Fur Bikini...

                    -Rathflaed

                    Sharon Vasquez wrote:
                    > I'm in Eldern Hills, a barony of Ansteorra. My first feast will be in
                    > May (Excited!) so there has to be a commemorative filk. So far, I'm
                    > thinking "Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini"--
                    > It was a finger-lickin',
                    > honey-chicken,
                    > Oh my God the times a-tickin.
                    > Well, that's it so far. or maybe
                    > Saffron,spices
                    > somethin'-rice
                    > is that the pottage?
                    > cook it twice.
                    > Obviously must think harder.
                    > Thanks, Lovey
                    > Lady Gillian
                    >
                    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > *From:* Linda Segal <leah1066@...>
                    > *To:* SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
                    > *Sent:* Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:37:33 PM
                    > *Subject:* [SCA_BARDS] Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?
                    >
                    > Gillian,
                    >
                    > Where are you located? Here in the West we have a great tolerance,
                    > even perhaps an affection, for filk. I understand (inter-kingdom
                    > anthropology being what it is) that this is less the case in some
                    > places. Personally, I can't live without it, even if I do write (what
                    > seems like) a ton of original work.
                    >
                    > I've been guilty of perpetrating one or two, such as "The Lady Doesn't
                    > Camp"-- but as I said earlier, it's a tough stretch fo rme to write
                    > funny. I greatly admire the ability to make folks chuckle. My
                    > strengths are elsewhere.
                    >
                    > Leah
                    >
                    > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com
                    > <mailto:SCA_BARDS%40yahoogroups.com>, Sharon Vasquez <vasnut456@. ..>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > What a relief! Being quite new, I thought there might be something
                    > wrong with writing filks. I haven't had the chance to hear you lovely
                    > bards, so I'm flying blind here.
                    > >
                    > > I don't know if I'll ever be up to your standards, but I'm glad to
                    > know that I can honor my barony with a fun filk.
                    > > Lady Gillian
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > ____________ _________ _________ __
                    > > From: Lady Aneleda Falconbridge <aneleda@... >
                    > > To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com <mailto:SCA_BARDS%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 9:01:24 AM
                    > > Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Gaping hole in skillset help?
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > Lots of actual period music lends to filking, if you want to both be
                    > serious/period and silly. (Plus, filking to tunes was as popular then
                    > as it is now!)
                    > >
                    > > Some don't even need *much* change to become funny. Dowland's
                    > dramatic and graceful "Flow My Tears" needs only a first verse change
                    > from:
                    > >
                    > > Flow, my tears, fall from your springs!
                    > > Exiled for ever, let me mourn;
                    > > Where night's black bird her sad infamy sings,
                    > > There let me live forlorn.
                    > >
                    > > to morph into a brewer's nightmare starting with:
                    > >
                    > > Flow, my beers, fall'n by the score!
                    > > Exiled for ever, how I mourn;
                    > > Where night black porter trickles on stone floor,
                    > > There let me live forlorn.
                    > >
                    > > The rest of the song, in the context of a brewer who has lost a
                    > really good batch of porter, takes on a whole new cast. (Hey, some
                    > weep for lost love, some for lost opportunity, and some for lost
                    > beverages... )
                    > >
                    > > But in all not-seriousness - take what you know & what you like, and
                    > play. Get out a rhyming dictionary and play rhyming mad libs with your
                    > favorite songs. (Or regular mad libs, which could also be a good time:
                    > Alas, my (noun) you do me wrong, to (verb) me off so (adverb)...)
                    > >
                    > > Finally, take favorite songs and try them in unusual ways (Master
                    > Efenwealt Wyslte s "Do Wop Greensleeves" is a stellar example; as is
                    > the madrigal "April is in My Mistress' Face," which can be sung in
                    > *perfect* redneck hillbilly.)
                    > >
                    > > So, in addition to creating new from scratch funny, you can
                    > refurbish favorite tunes to be funny too. And it might be a more comfy
                    > starting place if seriousness has been your comfort zone. Funny done
                    > straight-faced is often the funniest of all.
                    > >
                    > > Good luck!
                    > >
                    > > - Aneleda
                    > >
                    > > --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com <http://ps.com>, Kihe Blackeagle
                    > <KiheBard@ .> wrote:
                    > > >*snip*
                    > > Commit an act of filk -- even the filking of a filk -- even if you
                    > never let it out of the captivity of your own home. Example: "Weird
                    > Al" parodied _Lola_ as _Yoda_, so what's keeping you from taking an
                    > SCA twist and writing a lyric _Sold-jah_ (Soldier)?
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.