Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Frog Prince's Ode

  • Marcus Antaya
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
      I think it works well, milord....and indeed a lovely tune.

      also, one of the best reasons to watch the movie Toys, with Robin Williams.

      Very nice, indeed.

      Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
      Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around Chaotic Neutral guy
      REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
        Well constructive critisism is one of the reasons we're all on this list isn't it? So I certainly don't mind your speaking up. As a cavaet however, I really don't stress myself too much with getting a period sound to my filks seeing as how one of my more requested is I Should Been a Viking with is as non-period sounding as you can get. ;-)

        > > I was sitting, in the garden.
        > > When she came like a ray of light
        > > A beauty clear, so perfect (from "a beauty that's so perfect" - easy substitution)
        > > I lost my heart at the sight. ("My heart leaped at the sight" - a little pun for forshadowing)?

        Now these changes above I do like and think I'll make as an alteration.

        > > She had flowing hair so golden ("Her flowing hair, so golden" Assumes "She had" is rendered "She'd" on a single note of the tune)?

        This one I'm not quite sure about. She Had re two different notes with had slightly higher than She when singing it. However the notes can be shifted a bit moving the higher note to the first part of Flowing and it still works, so I have to contemplate this change a little more.

        > Now it gets tricky. The original is:
        > > The sun paled when you compar'ed
        > > Lips as red as the roses,
        > > Or the velvet that she wear'ed

        Now I'm afraid these changes and the ones that follow I'm not going to make. I thinka you for your time and trouble, but they just don't sound right to my ear or my mind's eye in changing her velvet gown into a cloak and the rhymes come out of my voice sounding even more forced than my own originals when I go singing them, so I beleive I'll be leaving the rest of this verse as I originally had it.

        Driscoll
      • corrie.bergeron
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
          Heh. A shire newsletter from my early days shows a character looking up at a guitar being flung overhead. He comments, "Brendan must be singing Jethro Tull again." :-)

          It's your song, milord, sing it as you please. If any of my suggestions were of use, I'm pleased.

          Brendan

          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <wuuga@...> wrote:

          > Well constructive critisism is one of the reasons we're all on this list isn't it? So I certainly don't mind your speaking up. As a cavaet however, I really don't stress myself too much with getting a period sound to my filks seeing as how one of my more requested is I Should Been a Viking with is as non-period sounding as you can get. ;-)
          >
          > > > I was sitting, in the garden.
          > > > When she came like a ray of light
          > > > A beauty clear, so perfect (from "a beauty that's so perfect" - easy substitution)
          > > > I lost my heart at the sight. ("My heart leaped at the sight" - a little pun for forshadowing)?
          >
          > Now these changes above I do like and think I'll make as an alteration.
          >
          > > > She had flowing hair so golden ("Her flowing hair, so golden" Assumes "She had" is rendered "She'd" on a single note of the tune)?
          > >
          > This one I'm not quite sure about. She Had re two different notes with had slightly higher than She when singing it. However the notes can be shifted a bit moving the higher note to the first part of Flowing and it still works, so I have to contemplate this change a little more.
          >
          > > Now it gets tricky. The original is:
          > > > The sun paled when you compar'ed
          > > > Lips as red as the roses,
          > > > Or the velvet that she wear'ed
          >
          > Now I'm afraid these changes and the ones that follow I'm not going to make. I thinka you for your time and trouble, but they just don't sound right to my ear or my mind's eye in changing her velvet gown into a cloak and the rhymes come out of my voice sounding even more forced than my own originals when I go singing them, so I beleive I'll be leaving the rest of this verse as I originally had it.
          >
          > Driscoll

        • Sharon Vasquez
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 7, 2009
            I'm dieing to hear this, either way.  What's the tune?
            Lady Gillian

            Heh. A shire newsletter from my early days shows a character looking up at a guitar being flung overhead. He comments, "Brendan must be singing Jethro Tull again." :-)

            It's your song, milord, sing it as you please. If any of my suggestions were of use, I'm pleased.

            Brendan

            --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, "Richard" <wuuga@...> wrote:

            > Well constructive critisism is one of the reasons we're all on this list isn't it? So I certainly don't mind your speaking up. As a cavaet however, I really don't stress myself too much with getting a period sound to my filks seeing as how one of my more requested is I Should Been a Viking with is as non-period sounding as you can get. ;-)
            >
            > > > I was sitting, in the garden.
            > > > When she came like a ray of light
            > > > A beauty clear, so perfect (from "a beauty that's so perfect" - easy substitution)
            > > > I lost my heart at the sight. ("My heart leaped at the sight" - a little pun for forshadowing) ?
            >
            > Now these changes above I do like and think I'll make as an alteration.
            >
            > > > She had flowing hair so golden ("Her flowing hair, so golden" Assumes "She had" is rendered "She'd" on a single note of the tune)?
            > >
            > This one I'm not quite sure about. She Had re two different notes with had slightly higher than She when singing it. However the notes can be shifted a bit moving the higher note to the first part of Flowing and it still works, so I have to contemplate this change a little more.
            >
            > > Now it gets tricky. The original is:
            > > > The sun paled when you compar'ed
            > > > Lips as red as the roses,
            > > > Or the velvet that she wear'ed
            >
            > Now I'm afraid these changes and the ones that follow I'm not going to make. I thinka you for your time and trouble, but they just don't sound right to my ear or my mind's eye in changing her velvet gown into a cloak and the rhymes come out of my voice sounding even more forced than my own originals when I go singing them, so I beleive I'll be leaving the rest of this verse as I originally had it.
            >
            > Driscoll

          • Richard
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2009
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9geCS0v7w8 is the tune, or at least the virst part of it is before the music changeup.