Re: [SCA_BARDS] Horse song from Calontir?

  • Sharon Vasquez
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
      wow, this is a treasure!  Thanks for sharing with a newbie.
      Gillian of Eldern Hills

      Eilidh Swann ** Cat Ellen ** eilidhswann at gmail.com

    • Justin Crouch
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
        Yes, it's a great song, and she sang it last night at the post revel of
        Calontir's 25th Anniversary. Too bad, I had to leave right as she
        started. I think it may be my favorite SCA Song, and Dorcas is a
        wonderful Bard.

        Leonardus the Gleeman

        Sharon Vasquez wrote:

        >wow, this is a treasure! Thanks for sharing with a newbie.
        >Gillian of Eldern Hills
        >

        >________________________________

        ----------------------
        Leonardus de Bellewode
        Justin W. Crouch
      • Mathurin Kerbusso
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
          Whiskeybards wrote:
          > I remember her singing it at the Crystal Flute the last year I held it.  I
          > will see if I can find her name in my notes.

          Dorcas Whitecap.

          --
          Mathurin
          "Non nobis solum"
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
            Kathy Elliott wrote:
            > It's called The Compact Between Horse and Man, and it's by Dorcas Whitecap
            > of Calontir. Here's a link:
            > http://www.calonsong.org/CalontirSongs/compacthorseman.pdf

            And a recording is online at:
            http://calonsound.info/archives/2008/09/entry_70.php

            --
            Mathurin
            "Non nobis solum"
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
              Thanks, Mathurin.

              Tonis

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                Ok, I'm curious... I can't scratch up the info for the reference in one verse and it sounds like an interesting story. Anyone?

                Crusaders from the west took Kilij Arslan unawares
                When a thousand Frankish stallions met a thousand Turkish mares.
                Two armies learned a lesson under battle-dusted skies:
                If you deny my nature you are in for a surprise!
                If you deny our compact you are in for a surprise!

                Leah
              • Mathurin Kerbusso
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Linda Segal wrote:
                  > Ok, I'm curious... I can't scratch up the info for the reference in one
                  > verse and it sounds like an interesting story. Anyone?
                  >
                  > Crusaders from the west took Kilij Arslan unawares
                  > When a thousand Frankish stallions met a thousand Turkish mares.
                  > Two armies learned a lesson under battle-dusted skies:
                  > If you deny my nature you are in for a surprise!
                  > If you deny our compact you are in for a surprise!

                  Short version:

                  Europeans preferred stallions for warhorses. The Turks and Arabs preferred
                  mares.

                  When the first major battle of the First Crusade was joined, neither side
                  had any experience fighting the other. The horses weren't sure whether
                  they were supposed to fight or ... The battle was not as battle-like as
                  it might have been. :-)

                  (The armies, and their horses, got used to the new rules pretty quick and
                  were able to kill each other without such confusion in later meetings)

                  --
                  Mathurin
                  "Non nobis solum"