Minstrels' Songbook for a holday gift

  • duchessmalinda2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
      Greetings! I am Duchess Malinda hohen van Kester from the Kingdom of
      Atenveldt and I edited a five chapter songbook of songs that are most
      often heard in the SCA.

      The Minstrel's Songbook is a sing along book in a CD format, written
      in Microsoft Word. It is not the actual songs; it is the words for
      them. This is the Third edition of this songbook I have edited; the
      first one was in 1979. Much has happened since then, but music stays
      the same. I've attempted to collect what I felt were the classics in
      the history of Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) music.

      In this most recent addition I have included a brief outline of the
      notes I use when I teach the class "How To Be A Bard." These are
      just basic helpful tips and ideas for people who have never
      entertained, especially in the SCA or a medieval setting. I hope you
      will find them useful as you begin your bardic adventure.

      For the songs in the volume of period music I researched the first
      published date of that song to aid anyone wanting to document a song
      before singing it in an arts & science competition. I checked the
      copyrights of the songs too.

      The songs in the Minstrel's Basement are popular filk songs in the
      SCA. I found that the authors of the original tunes for many of the
      songs written between 1930 and 1970 waived their copyrights, and many
      of the writers and musicians are dead. If I found nothing when
      searching the copyright, I assumed it was permissible.

      The songs in the Minstrel's Heart are original tunes and words
      written by some of the SCA's finest bards, which include Master
      Baldwin of Erebor, Master Yonatan vom Schwartzflek, and Master Ioseph
      of Locksley.

      Minstrel Yonatan has a volume in this series of his songs. I have
      had the good fortune to be his friend and live nearby for many years,
      which means I sing with him more than almost anyone else. I am much
      honored that he has allowed me to reproduce his music.

      The Minstrel's Nursery is a collection of songs and rhymes for
      children. I put this together when my daughter was born to help jog
      my memory when I tucked her into bed every night. It also helped her
      learn how to read as she sang along with the songs.

      The five volumes are all on one CD in Microsoft Word:

      Minstrel's Hall
      Period Music, 90 songs, 84 with chords, 122 pages

      Minstrels' Basement
      SCA Filk, 40 songs, 32 with chords, 58 pages

      Minstrel's Heart
      Original SCA Music, 20 songs, 17 with chords, 34 pages

      From the Minstrel Yonatan's Mouth
      Songs written and sung by Master Yonatan, 38 songs,
      28 with chords, 49 pages

      Minstrel's Nursery
      Period Music for Children, 75 songs & rhymes, 24 with chords
      46 pages

      The CD is $15
      If I ship it to you it is an extra $5 for a total of $20
      If you would just like the five chapters and the bardic notes emailed
      to you it is $10, payable through paypal at
      Duchessmalinda2002@...
      If you would like an index of all of the songs, I would be more than
      happy to provide those. Just contact me using the same email as
      listed above.

      The entire set of songbooks has been checked by Norton Internet
      Security System for virus problems and was written in Microsoft Word.
    • Melinda Lafevers
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
        Greetings all...
      • Melinda Lafevers
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
          Sorry about that - I hit the wrong button, and my computer is acting up, so I don't know if you will get another varient of this or not...

          Saturday, Dec 6, my radio show will be another all SCA related musicians program. The topic is Christmas, the Four sets are Instrumental, Songs about Mary, Featured artist Mistress Marion of Heatherdale, and old carols.

          Groups on the program include

          Lyondragon consort (Sorry, don't remember where they are from)
          Hurly Burly (Canada)
          Wolgemut (International, but I knew Micha in Caid)
          Jubilitories (Formerly of Caid, I'm not sure where they are now)
          Master Avatar & Istanpitta (Ansteorra)
          Mistress Marion (Canada)
          Lyonsong (Caid)

          If you are in Central AR, it broadcasts KVHU 95.3, Noon, Central Time

          Anybody out of broadcast rangs, www.kvhu.org www.kvhu.net www.harding.edu and follow links.

          If you ever listen to the show, please drop an email to traditionalfolkmusic@... - I love to be able to tell the station manager that yes, I do have someone listening to my show... :)

          Feel free to send this to any other elists that you think might be interested, and especially to anyone in the groups that are being played....

          Thanks, Melandra (who loves learning more history, learning more songs, and being able to put SCA bards on air....)