Re: Child Ballads in the SCA

  • tsivia@uottawa.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2008
      Linette wrote:

      >Anyone interested in working on such a project? A HUGE thanks must
      go out to both Tsivia, Dani, and Gregory, for the work they've
      already done on this topic - and other scholars as well, of
      course. Asking for more is by no means a disparagement of the
      wonderful work that's been done so far - I hope it's understood as
      fervent enthusiasm for a topic we all love!

      I am **SO** for seeing more work on the non-court musics in period!!!! I
      mean, everyone who seems to perform "Great Silkie" does the 1800s version
      (usually unaware that a) it's not period and b) there ARE recorded
      probable period versions), yet there are very very few places where you
      can find the one "official" old tune. And then there's the one I collected
      from Baroness Mairi nan Beatann years ago...!! (My folklore prof was
      gobsmacked and said it was the only other version she'd ever heard which
      sounded authentic!) Both are in my C.A. ballad booklet as well.

      I'd love to see more folks team up on this. My academic work has drawn me
      far from my folklorist roots (Too far I feel some days) and as I was just
      contracted to write another book (academic women's studies textbook), I
      won't have the time myself. But I can suggest and/or advise from arm's
      length if others want to take up the torch.

      Great suggestion, Linette!!

      TSivia

      PS: I'm probably going to be attending the Ventanadur (spelling?) event in
      Myrkfallin, Aethelmearc, in 2 weekends from now...if anyone will be there,
      come over and say hello!
      TSivia
    • Kataryna Dragonweaver
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Holly <linette@...> wrote:

        > Hello from Linette!
        >
        > I think that both CA issues on the Child Ballads are good resources
        > for Scadians who are interested in the topic. Their differences in
        > style and methods are a reasonable result of differing schools of
        > thought in academia and research, and I hope that we can all
        utilize
        > what we like out of each without feeling the need to disparage one
        or
        > the other.

        No disparaging intended... and on my part these 'rants' are not rants
        as much as they are arguments that do stem from the differences in
        research methods in the different schools of thought.
        :)

        > I have a copy of Dame Tsivia's CA and can type her list of Child
        > Ballads which plausibly date back to period, if that's something
        > people would like to seeon the list. It's fascinating to see how
        > many of the ballads have origins within the medieval period.
        >
        > What I think would be a fabulous project to add to this would be to
        > publish the within-period versions of said ballads, or at least,
        what
        > books or websites they can be found in.

        <snip>

        > Anyone interested in working on such a project?

        I'm more then happy to host on a website any information of this
        sort. I'm a bit of a database junky so taking bits and compiling them
        is fairly simple for me... but my problem is that I haven't the time
        currently to do the digging.... but if someone wants to send me files
        of what they have then I can collate etc.
        -Kataryna