New song! yay!!

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 8:31 PM
      Well maybe my muse is back from vacation because I came up with a
      new song at work last night. And it's almost to a period tune! ;-)
      (According to the source I have at hand, it's from about the 17th
      century though I heard another song being sung to the same tune on an
      old Robin Hood episode so out of curiosity I'm going to try to track
      down that song and see which stole the tune of the other)

      Feastocrat's Lament
      By Milord Brian Ambrose O'Driscoll
      Sung to: Cold and Raw the North did Blow by Thomas D'Urfey c1653-1723

      It twas a warm Summer's day, when to me they did come,
      "You're the finest cook we know. Would you please make us some?
      A Royal feast for Yuletide, we wish you'd put together
      Something to warm both body and mind, during the winter weather."

      "It tis a great honor you show, asking me that to cook
      I'll put my brain right to the task, and give my recipies a look.
      And come up with a feast you'll love! This you'll find I will.
      Some things that their Magesties love, that will just fit the bill."

      When Fall first came I was satisfied, that I had succeeded.
      And come up with a good menu, that was just what was needed.
      Four removes with three desserts, to make quite a treat
      A fitting feast for King and Queen, to sit down and to eat.

      But near to September's end, the Autocrats came back,
      And told me for the Yule Feast, some information I had lacked,
      The Queen she could eat no meat, the King could have no bread.
      And if the Senseshal had salt, then he could fall over dead

      Then back to my work went I, making adjustments needed.
      But All Hallow's Eve, my menu their advice heeded.
      Twas then they told me of, Princess Margarete
      Eggs and cheese, nuts and broth, All these things she would not eat

      All through November's cold, my menu kept rearrainging
      As allergies came to light, causing it to keep changing
      This Baron could eat no fish, his sister nothing Green
      Keep away dairy from the Handmaiden to the Queen

      As December's snows came down, I figured out one last menu
      The only way to please everyone, at this important venue
      All that I could finally serve, was water in a glass
      Next time they ask me the feast to make, I think that I'll just pass.