Can't open doc.

  • amalthea_von_thungen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      Hey guys,
      I have been trying to upload my songs onto the site but when I try to
      open them I have started getting a wierd error meassage that wasn't
      there before.Before I add any more songs can some one try and open one
      of the files and let me know if it is just my computer acting up or if
      you all really can't open the files.

      the folder is Amalthea Von Thungen

      Thanks !
      Cap'n. Molly
    • Steve "Badger" Harrett
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
        What program did you use to create them? It looks like Corel's WordPerfect,
        which I don't have. Therefore, I can't open them either.

        Rurik

        > I have been trying to upload my songs onto the site but when I try to
        > open them I have started getting a wierd error meassage that wasn't
        > there before.Before I add any more songs can some one try and open one
        > of the files and let me know if it is just my computer acting up or if
        > you all really can't open the files.
        >
        > the folder is Amalthea Von Thungen
        >
        > Thanks !
        > Cap'n. Molly

      • roxanne price
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008

          I used microsoft works word....it has always worked before so i'm not sure what the deal is?
          MOlly
          Great ambition without contribution is with out significance.

          To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
          From: rurikps@...
          Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 08:23:39 -0400
          Subject: Re: [SCA_BARDS] Can't open doc.

          What program did you use to create them? It looks like Corel's WordPerfect,
          which I don't have. Therefore, I can't open them either.

          Rurik

          > I have been trying to upload my songs onto the site but when I try to
          > open them I have started getting a wierd error meassage that wasn't
          > there before.Before I add any more songs can some one try and open one
          > of the files and let me know if it is just my computer acting up or if
          > you all really can't open the files.
          >
          > the folder is Amalthea Von Thungen
          >
          > Thanks !
          > Cap'n. Molly

          Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before. See how Windows® fits your life
        • Mark Cipra
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2008
            MS Works and MS Word are separate programs - sounds like you might be using Works.  Works documents can't be opened (easily) by Word users.  Don't remember if you have the option, but try doing a "Save As ..." and see if you can save it in Word format before uploading.

             Llywelyn (Mark Cipra)

            --
            "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Douglas Adams

            To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com
            From: rurikps@cox. net
            Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 08:23:39 -0400

            What program did you use to create them? It looks like Corel's WordPerfect,
            which I don't have. Therefore, I can't open them either.

            Rurik

            > I have been trying to upload my songs onto the site but when I try to
            > open them I have started getting a wierd error meassage that wasn't
            > there before.Before I add any more songs can some one try and open one
            > of the files and let me know if it is just my computer acting up or if
            > you all really can't open the files.
            >
            > the folder is Amalthea Von Thungen
            >
            > Thanks !
            > Cap'n. Molly

            Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before. See how Windows® fits your life
          • Justinos Tekton
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
              On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 02:06 +0000, roxanne price wrote:
              > I used microsoft works word.

              The word processor in Works is very incompatible with other formats,
              unfortunately. The full version of Word does a lot better. You could
              also consider the free OpenOffice.org suite (http://www.openoffice.org/)
              which can read and write Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats.

              Justin

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Mathurin Kerbusso
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
                Justinos Tekton wrote:
                > On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 02:06 +0000, roxanne price wrote:
                >> I used microsoft works word.
                >
                > The word processor in Works is very incompatible with other formats,
                > unfortunately. The full version of Word does a lot better. You could
                > also consider the free OpenOffice.org suite (http://www.openoffice.org/)
                > which can read and write Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats.

                I would just like to add my recommendation for OpenOffice. It is a full
                featured office suite every bit as powerful as MSOffice, except it is
                free. Anybody still struggling with MSWorks should definitely upgrade to
                OpenOffice.

                (And Firefox for browsing, and Thunderbird for email, but that is a whole
                other email)

                --
                Mathurin
                "Non nobis solum"
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
                  --- Mathurin Kerbusso <mathurin@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I would just like to add my recommendation for
                  > OpenOffice. It is a full
                  > featured office suite every bit as powerful as
                  > MSOffice, except it is
                  > free. Anybody still struggling with MSWorks should
                  > definitely upgrade to
                  > OpenOffice.

                  I'll second that. Office also allows you to export to
                  pdf and (if you have a picture) the associated drawing
                  application allows you to export to EPS and most other
                  useful formats.

                  Jeffs/etc.