Battle of the bards!!

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
      Forwarded with premission of Baron Christopher

      Yes, as the Bardic Baron, I have decreed that we are doing a bardic
      battle for a war point.

      This takes place on Friday, August 8th around 7 pm.

      ***
      BATTLE OF THE BARDS

      It's Friday night. You're hanging out in the Town Square finishing
      your own meal or the delicious dinner hosted by Mormon Lake Lodge.
      Around 7 o'clock, the sun drops below the horizon and 8 figures stalk
      out of a cloud of smoke. Entertainers of legend... it is the Battle
      of the Bards.

      Each Army will choose 4 bards to represent them. Among them they must
      perform one story, one filk song, one non-filk song and one piece of
      their choice. After the battle, the populace will vote on their
      favorite performances.

      The highest scoring bard will be declared the Highlands Bard and win
      the prize tourney. The highest scoring TEAM will win a war point for
      their army.

      Hear the battle, decide the outcome.

      ***
      So, who's with me? :-)

      Baron Christopher, Ered Sul

      For more information on the Atenveldt Highland War:
      http://www.highlandswar.org/
    • Michael B. Greenstein
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
        >This takes place on Friday, August 8th around 7 pm.

        Um... where?
      • Mark Cipra
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008

          I think it's a great idea, if it can be pulled off ...

          A little earlier would be nice.  Hate to miss the opening moments of "Forbidden Pennsic" (at 8).

          Mark Cipra

          --
          "There is no sincerer love than the love of food" - Shaw

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
            Highland War, it looks like.

            "There is no issue of state's rights or national rights. There is only the
            struggle for human rights." LBJ

          • Richard
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
              Kingdom of Atenveldt, near Flagstaff Arizona. The link at the bottom
              goes to the website for the event with all the details.

              Driscoll

              --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Greenstein"
              <greenstein@...> wrote:

              > >This takes place on Friday, August 8th around 7 pm.
              >
              > Um... where?

            • jenny tavernier
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
                If they are talking Highlands, and Atenveldt, it is up in Az, Flagstaff, and probably in Fort Tuthill - (major park with Major nice forest!) Definantely doable in the heighth of summer - very beautiful!!!) Once you come out of the mountains, the heat will kill ya though - LOL!)

                There is an airport up there - little bitty thing - really cool, and you get there by flying into Phoenix (arghhhh! Fishbowl heat) and then taking a puddlejumper (DC3prop plane) up to flagstaff) anyone at highlands will come get ya - it's about a 5/10 minute ride -

                It's a wonderful war! Go to atenveldt website for more info, and My Bestest Friend, the Lady Jehanne, (Pel, etc)will help you if you need more personalized info -  just let me know!

                Website:
                http://www.atenveldt.org/

                airport:

                http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/index.asp?NID=146

                Jen
                Bard of the Pickle Bowl

                dusty shoes
                crusted with accumulated dreams
                turn a patina
                the color of unreached destinations

                ©2003/07JHT

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Wow! they have the site up (website) If you look at the left headings, click on
                  Entertainment
                  ~that opens to a page on the Battle of the Bards -

                  They seem to have changed from Fort  Tuthill to Morman's lake - but it is still close to the airport - (see prior email links)

                  http://xiv.highlandswar.org/

                  Jen

                  dusty shoes
                  crusted with accumulated dreams
                  turn a patina
                  the color of unreached destinations

                  ©2003/08JHT

                • Tim Jennings
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008

                    Ah – When you said War Point, I thought Pennsic

                    Too bad

                    Tim/Garraed

                    Tim Jennings

                    Managing Director

                    Roseneath Theatre

                    519-787-2399

                    www.roseneath.ca

                    ***

                    A proud member of International Performing Arts for Youth

                    www.ipayweb.org

                      Me, too.  This really isn't a bad idea, though, is it?  It would obviously take more than a few weeks to set up, and probably there should be some formal competition to qualify as a champion, but why shouldn't there be a bardic War Point at Pennsic?

                      Mark Cipra