Re: First Pennsic for a Bard

  • Syele von der Rosen
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
      Greetings to my cousin the Bard of Caid from THL Syele von der Rosen,
      Bard of the West!

      Though it saddens my heart that I shall not be making the crusade to
      Pennsic this year, it gladdens me just as much to hear that such a
      gracious lady as the Bard of Caid shall be taking up my slack. :)

      I would like to echo Michael's words - speak to your Sovereigns and
      make your effort to make Their war wonderful and memorable, most
      CERTAINLY visit the Bardic circles you can find, and simply enjoy
      sharing your art with others. During my tenure as Bard of the Sun of
      Atenveldt a few years back, I found that some of the most amazing
      conversations stemmed from just singing as I walked down the road. It
      is hard to not have a song on my lips at Pennsic, after all!

      I would heartily recommend seeking out the bards of Ealdormere, as
      they often have a rousing Bardic circle one evening during War Week,
      which should be listed in the lovely books that Michael speaks of in
      his post. Master Efenwealt is a lovely man who is always happy to
      share a song or story, as is my wonderful Uncle Justinian, who can be
      found slightly down the hill in Fools Rest. If the Whiskey Bards are
      about, seek them out and tell them the Bard of the West sent you -
      some of my greatest friends from back in Atenveldt (though
      transplanted) are Master Tonis, Sir Cosimo, Master Sim and Master
      Yonaton. Really, just take the opportunity to be present and meet
      people! Some of the greatest friends I have have come from Pennsic,
      and some of my strongest Bardic supporters.

      Above all things, though, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Pennsic can be
      trying on the body and voice - avail yourself of plenty of water, and
      the lovely warm teas that can be found at Your Inner Vagabond (or as
      I call it, coffee heaven). Do what is fun to you, write when you are
      called to write, and above all, remember Syele's First Rule of
      Pennsic: if it ain't fun, don't do it!

      In Service,

      Syele
      MSoB since AS somethin or other... ;)

      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Greenstein"
      <greenstein@...> wrote:

      > >So, I'm the Bard of Caid right now, and making plans to attend my
      > >first Pennsic. (eep)
      > >
      > >Tips? Introductions?

    • Arsieu de Bordeaux
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
        First of all, welcome to the madness that is Pennsic - it is so
        addicting I've been here this year willbe number six or seven... I
        lose count.

        Secondly, I can't add anything to what my esteemed colleagues have
        said. Heat is a definite factor, so water water water... and then
        water some more.

        Find/seek activities you enjoy and do them, attend classes, enjoy the
        merchants, seek out wandering bards during the day and night, stop by
        N19 at House Lac du Valle for a meal and some friendly chat, for
        that's where I'll be - in the midst of the Northsheld camp.

        -=Arsieu de Bordeaux, filker extraordinaire (pat. pending)=-

        > So, I'm the Bard of Caid right now, and making plans to attend my
        > first Pennsic. (eep)

        > Tips? Introductions?
      • Mark Cipra
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
          And don't forget Llywelyn's First Law of Pennsic - There is no such thing as too many sox.

          Llywelyn (Mark Cipra)

          --
          "There is no sincerer love than the love of food" - Shaw

          First of all, welcome to the madness that is Pennsic - it is so
          addicting I've been here this year willbe number six or seven... I
          lose count.

          Secondly, I can't add anything to what my esteemed colleagues have
          said. Heat is a definite factor, so water water water... and then
          water some more.

          Find/seek activities you enjoy and do them, attend classes, enjoy the
          merchants, seek out wandering bards during the day and night, stop by
          N19 at House Lac du Valle for a meal and some friendly chat, for
          that's where I'll be - in the midst of the Northsheld camp.

          -=Arsieu de Bordeaux, filker extraordinaire (pat. pending)=-

          > So, I'm the Bard of Caid right now, and making plans to attend my
          > first Pennsic. (eep)

          > Tips? Introductions?

        • Justinos Tekton
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 4, 2008
            On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 21:08 +0000, Arsieu de Bordeaux wrote:
            > First of all, welcome to the madness that is Pennsic - it is so
            > addicting I've been here this year willbe number six or seven... I
            > lose count.

            n00b. :-)

            Justin
            (Who freely admits that my 17 prior Pennsics still leaves *me* a "n00b"
            in the eyes of many others. {GRIN} )

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Justinos Tekton
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 4, 2008
              On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 14:36 -0700, Mark Cipra wrote:
              > And don't forget Llywelyn's First Law of Pennsic - There is no such
              > thing as too many sox.

              Or the "Autocrats' First Law of Pennsic":

              If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Eilidh Swann
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6, 2008
                How can I truly thank you all, for your tips, your silliness, your
                good ideas, and your funny ones. I've got quite a list of places to go
                now, and people to see! Fantastic!

                Again, my sincerest thank you's to all I'll meet and all I plan to
                meet some other day, some other event. Until then, sing well, sing
                long.
                --
                Eilidh Swann, current Bard of Caid ** Cat Ellen ** eilidhswann at gmail.com
                Caidan Google Calendar: http://tinyurl.com/25adhk