Re: [SCA_BARDS] Songs of death - any good period ones off the top of your head?

  • mit1369
    Message 1 of 20 , May 19, 2008
      I've always liked "Rearguard's Lament". It's available on the "Cantaria" site.

      Uadahlrich
      Midrealm

      Message 2 of 20 , May 20, 2008
        It's almost period but Rickitty, Tickitty, Tin is always fun with death.  an entire family gets bumped off.

        Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:
        Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I should, however, have
        been a bit more specific - this is for a late period (16th century) salon.
        The theme is death - nothing more specific than that. And I've been having
        an overload of Dowland of late - I taught a class on his lute songs not long
        ago. *LOL* Not to say I don't adore his work, but I'm looking outside that
        as well - don't want to known as Jenny Onenote. 8)

        And yes, I have every intention of doing some of those "petite morte" songs.
        How can you pass those up?

        8)
        Veronica

        Justice --- When you get what you deserve

        Mercy ----- When you don't get what you deserve

        Grace ----- When you get what you don't deserve

      • wannabanerdsomeday
        Message 3 of 20 , May 20, 2008
          What plague is greater than the grief of mind?
          The grief of mind that eats in every vein;
          In every vein that leaves such clots behind;
          Such clots behind as breed such bitter pain;
          So bitter pain that none shall ever find,
          What plague is greater than the grief of mind.
          E. of Ox
          http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/oxfordpoems.htm

          May not be a good fit, but it is Elizabethan, and there is a largish
          collection of period poems on the site. Stumbled across it when I was
          trying to find the lyrics to a song that begins "I met a soldier on a
          hill, he wore a tattered cloak. . . " Anyone have them?
          --R

          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

          > Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I should,
          however, have
          > been a bit more specific - this is for a late period (16th century)
          salon.
          > The theme is death - nothing more specific than that. And I've
          been having
          > an overload of Dowland of late - I taught a class on his lute songs
          not long
          > ago. *LOL* Not to say I don't adore his work, but I'm looking
          outside that
          > as well - don't want to known as Jenny Onenote. 8)
          >
          > And yes, I have every intention of doing some of those "petite
          morte" songs.
          > How can you pass those up?
          >
          > 8)
          > Veronica

        • Paul DeLisle
          Message 4 of 20 , May 20, 2008

            *sigh*…and…here we go again….

            My dear…”Rickety Tickety Tin” can’t be period…unless Tom Lehrer is 450 years’ old (it was written by him in about 1960.)

            No harm, no foul…but do look things up …Mr. Lehrer’s alternate title to that piece is “An Irish Traditional Ballad” (which gives you a clue about what “traditional” means…..i.e. that either someone was too lazy to look up the author, or that the author can’t be found [usually the former.])

            In Service, I remain

            Alden Pharamond

            (and served him up as an Irish stew…….and invited the neighbors in…)

[...]

          • Michael B. Greenstein
            Message 5 of 20 , May 20, 2008
              >My dear."Rickety Tickety Tin" can't be period

              It must be. I mean, I sang that at my first bardic circle, and they went and made me a Laurel, so doesn't it follow?

              Okay, there might have been a small hiatus between the two events, but still...

              - Michael
            • Greg Lindahl
              Message 6 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 05:47:04PM -0500, Paul DeLisle wrote:

                > My dear."Rickety Tickety Tin" can't be period.unless Tom Lehrer is 450
                > years' old (it was written by him in about 1960.)

                I took Music Appreciation in college, and I wrote an essay on the
                final about how PDQ Bach's compositions seemed awfully modern for
                someone who was purpotedly JS Bach's son. I don't think the grader got
                it. Oh well.

                -- Gregory
              • Richard
                Message 7 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                  Well neither is strictly period as they're Irish folks songs, but
                  depending on how you wish to you, There's Finnegan's Wake for the
                  humorous bent on "death" which you can find on hudreds of Irish folk
                  song compilations.
                  A little more depressing and rare is "There were Roses" or i've
                  heard it titled "The Red Roses" I just make one very very minor
                  change to make Car into Cart and there's nothing SCA objectionable
                  about it. It is very depressing though and is about a Catholic friend
                  and a Protestant friend who were each killed for their beliefs, one
                  in reprisal for the random killing of the other even though he didn't
                  have anything to do with it.

                  Driscoll

                  --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

                  > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                  SCA event,
                  > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                  period stuff
                  > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
                  >
                  > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will
                  work.
                  > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of
                  stumped on
                  > where to start looking at the moment...
                  >
                  > 8)
                  > Signora Veronica da Lugano
                  > 7th Bard of the West
                  > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
                  > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

                • Tim Jennings
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 20, 2008

                    Tommy Sands wrote the piece  (Roses) in about 1974 following the very real incident in Northern Ireland that it describes. It’s a great one, but its very much a part of the Irish rebellion period (Post 1800) and more specifically the troubles of the 1960’s through the 80’s.

                    There are very few Irish or Scots ‘trad style’ pieces in English from period (pre 1600) or even near period. Maybe a cpl dozen in total. Most period music is not of this style at all. A Few pieces begin the transition, but its sound is really quite modern

                    Doesn’t mean don’t sing stuff of a more modern type, but its good to understand that when we sing something like ‘Roses’ at a bardic circle, it is not any kind of attempt at mediaeval or ren music – just fun of the kind the SCA often enjoys. We like the images. Heck –I think generally we are much more interested in the Victorianized ideals of chivalry and knighthood then the mediaeval ones…but knowing which is which is the battle.

                    Feel free to drop by Harpwood Hall at Pennsic and sing itJ We like a variety of music!

                     In fact (blatant plug) I have Eugene Rea and Noni Crete coming to play at an SCA event pub (The Raven) this wknd in Ealdormere. Eugene Rea is Tommy Sands cousin and one of the original members of the Sands Family (who are awesome!!). He’s also won the Irish national penny whistle and Mandolin championships in the grand master categoryJ Should be fun to listen and Noni has an incredible voice.

                    Tim/Garraed

                    Tim Jennings

                    Managing Director

                    Roseneath Theatre

                    519-787-2399

                    www.roseneath.ca

                    ***

                    A proud member of International Performing Arts for Youth

                    www.ipayweb.org

                    Well neither is strictly period as they're Irish folks songs, but
                    depending on how you wish to you, There's Finnegan's Wake for the
                    humorous bent on "death" which you can find on hudreds of Irish folk
                    song compilations.
                    A little more depressing and rare is "There were Roses" or i've
                    heard it titled "The Red Roses" I just make one very very minor
                    change to make Car into Cart and there's nothing SCA objectionable
                    about it. It is very depressing though and is about a Catholic friend
                    and a Protestant friend who were each killed for their beliefs, one
                    in reprisal for the random killing of the other even though he didn't
                    have anything to do with it.

                    Driscoll

                    --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

                    > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                    SCA event,
                    > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                    period stuff
                    > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
                    >
                    > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will
                    work.
                    > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of
                    stumped on
                    > where to start looking at the moment...
                    >
                    > 8)
                    > Signora Veronica da Lugano
                    > 7th Bard of the West
                    > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
                    > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

                  • wodeford
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

                      > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                      SCA event,
                      > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                      period stuff
                      > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.

                      Yahoo appears to have eaten my previous post, so let's try again,
                      shall we?

                      "Ad mortem festinamus" from the Llibre Vermell might do you:
                      Lyrics and midi file can be found here:
                      http://brassy.club.fr/PartMed/LiVerm/LiVerm.html

                      Scroll down for full lyrics and translation.
                      http://www.sarband.de/Programs/Fran%8Dais/FR-Llibreall.html

                      And there's "Man Mai Longe", lyrics can be found here:
                      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/articles/filk.and.the.sca.html
                      And of course, I can't FIND the book that I think has notation for it.

                      If you want something late period in more recognizable English,
                      there's always Orlando Gibbons' "The Silver Swan," which is about as
                      short and sweet as it gets.

                      I may think of more later.

                      Jehanne de Wodeford
                      West
                    • Melissa Widmaier
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 21, 2008

                        Very depressing. :(

                        I'm Irish who started off Protestant and I'm now Catholic. This song just kills me when I hear it, but it truly is haunting and beautiful.

                        Viola Howell

                        "There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." ~ Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

                        http://Melissa-Widmaier.imagekind.com  http://www.myspace.com/violahowl

                        Well neither is strictly period as they're Irish folks songs, but
                        depending on how you wish to you, There's Finnegan's Wake for the
                        humorous bent on "death" which you can find on hudreds of Irish folk
                        song compilations.
                        A little more depressing and rare is "There were Roses" or i've
                        heard it titled "The Red Roses" I just make one very very minor
                        change to make Car into Cart and there's nothing SCA objectionable
                        about it. It is very depressing though and is about a Catholic friend
                        and a Protestant friend who were each killed for their beliefs, one
                        in reprisal for the random killing of the other even though he didn't
                        have anything to do with it.

                        Driscoll

                        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@... > wrote:

                        > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                        SCA event,
                        > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                        period stuff
                        > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
                        >
                        > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will
                        work.
                        > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of
                        stumped on
                        > where to start looking at the moment...
                        >
                        > 8)
                        > Signora Veronica da Lugano
                        > 7th Bard of the West
                        > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
                        > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

                      • katrinaofcoventry
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 21, 2008
                          Off the top of my head - try these:

                          Bonnie Earl of Murray (Child 181) and the companion song, Willie
                          Macintosh / Burning of Auchindoun (Child 183)

                          Mediæval Bæbes also does a great German song called "So Spricht Das
                          Leben," dated apx 1470 ce. It's a great dialog back and forth
                          between "Life" and "Death" about which one of them the world belongs
                          to. It's on their "Worldes Blysse" album.

                          If you don't mind going a bit post-period, you could try "Down Among
                          the Dead Men."

                          Good luck!
                          Kat
                        • Lady Aneleda Cytheria Falconbridge
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 21, 2008
                            Far from Dowland:

                            The classic "Three Ravens" is pretty deathy, lovely and a bit gorey.

                            "Full Fathon Five" has many variations, and I would say that "of his
                            bones are coral made...etc," fits the theme.

                            "Lord Randall" (or Durante My Son, or any variation thereof) can be
                            argued to be appropriate as well, and maybe even older variations of
                            "Barb'ry/Barbara/Barbwee Allen" (hey, they supposedly made it to
                            America before 1600, so that fits for me!)

                            And while looking for something else, I found a composer which had a
                            lot of "death" in the lyric at least - Danish composer (Mogens
                            Pedersøn (a. 1585-1623). Check out
                            http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/pederson/madrigali.html for
                            more. I think that the actual music files require lilypond to open,
                            but it may be a jumping-off point.

                            Let us know what you perform!!! (And hear!)

                            - Aneleda Falconbridge