Songs of death - any good period ones off the top of your head?

  • Kimberly Sargen
    Message 1 of 20 , May 19, 2008
      I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming SCA event,
      and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of period stuff
      (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.

      Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will work.
      Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of stumped on
      where to start looking at the moment...

      8)
      Signora Veronica da Lugano
      7th Bard of the West
      (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
      (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)
    • Michael B. Greenstein
      Message 2 of 20 , May 19, 2008
        >I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming SCA event,
        >and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of period stuff
        >(I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.

        It's slightly post-period (1618), but if you don't mind performing poetry, there is always Sir Walter Raleigh's final poem, supposedly left at his bedside when he was led off to execution:

        Even such is time, that takes in trust
        Our youth, our joys, our all we have,
        And pays us but with earth and dust;
        Who, in the dark and silent grave,
        When we have wandered all our ways,
        Shuts up the story of our days:
        But from this earth, this grave, this dust,
        My God shall raise me up, I trust.

        - Michael
      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 20 , May 19, 2008
          Anne Boleyn's "o Death, Rock me Asleep" would be perfect! :)

          > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming SCA
          > event,
          > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of period
          > stuff
          > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
          >
          > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will work.
          > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of stumped on
          > where to start looking at the moment...
          >
          > 8)
          > Signora Veronica da Lugano
          > 7th Bard of the West
          > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
          > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Anjuli
          Message 4 of 20 , May 19, 2008
            I do an entire one-woman show called "Oh Death, Rock Me Asleep" which is
            based on the last hours of Anne Boleyn in the Tower (she was executed in
            May of 1536.) It is not difficult to find the piece online, and there
            are several versions set to music, if you want to sing it, though they
            are not period melodies...

            Anjuli

            Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
            > Anne Boleyn's "o Death, Rock me Asleep" would be perfect! :)
            >
            >> I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming SCA
            >> event,
            >> and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of period
            >> stuff
            >> (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
            >>
            >> Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will work.
            >> Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of stumped on
            >> where to start looking at the moment...
            >>
            >> 8)
            >> Signora Veronica da Lugano
            >> 7th Bard of the West
            >> (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
            >> (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)
            >>

            > Pax Christi,
            > Sydney

          • Lutr Ruckstandewerfer
            Message 5 of 20 , May 19, 2008
              Dowland comes to mind: "Come, heavy sleep" [1], "Lasso, vita mia" [4]
              and others. "His golden locks", if aging is close enough to death.
              [2] Almost anything by John Coprario [3], but especially the Funeral
              Tears suite. I particularly like "My joy is dead". As someone else
              mentioned, Boleyn's "O death, rock me asleep" [5] is right on.

              [1]
              http://www.gerbode.net/ft2/composers/Dowland/songs/1st_book_of_ayres/20_come_heavy_sleep/pdf/20_come_heavy_sleep.pdf
              [2]
              http://www.gerbode.net/ft2/composers/Dowland/songs/1st_book_of_ayres/18_his_golden_locks/pdf/his_golden_locks.pdf
              [3] http://www.gerbode.net/ft2/composers/Coprario/
              [4]
              http://www.gerbode.net/ft2/composers/Dowland/songs/4_a_pilgrims_solace/11_lasso_vita_mia/
              [5]
              http://www.gerbode.net/ft2/composers/Boleyn/pdf/o_death_rock_me_asleep.pdf

              cheers,
              Lutr

              Kimberly Sargen wrote:
              > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming SCA event,
              > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of period stuff
              > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
              >
              > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will work.
              > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of stumped on
              > where to start looking at the moment...
              >
              > 8)
              > Signora Veronica da Lugano
              > 7th Bard of the West
              > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
              > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

            • Jeff Suzuki
              Message 6 of 20 , May 19, 2008
                Death specifically, or mortality in general?

                One that I've been working on is Dowland's "His golden
                locks time hath to silver turned" (from 1596, in _An
                Elizabethan Song Book_, ed. Greenberg, but a quick
                search on Google turned up
                http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=9884
                with the lyrics

                Jeffs/etc.
              • Brett Lawrence
                Message 7 of 20 , May 19, 2008
                  "By Kells Water."
                  Not quite period, as it is a Welsh Ballad (so 1800-1850??? Anyone have any info on this I could find none online, and I'm generally a Poet, not a musician)
                  But I was just commisioned to do a piece for my Baroness, who was stepping down
                  The request was for "Not a dry eye in the house" by the singer...

                  Here is my effort -- feel free to use it if you like it. Just tell 'em where you stole it :)
                  The tune can be heard here, and is quite lovely...

                  Secca of Cantia, Bard of Altavia

                  By Kell's Water
                  (Traditional Welsh Ballad, no original lyrics)

                  Oh my darling, my  Bridget,  o-oh where can you be?
                  You have left me so alone now,  you've gone to the sea,
                  As I sto-od there a-watching,  from Kell's waterside,
                  M-y love flowed down river,  and was lost on the tide.

                  Oh my love is like sunshine,  th-at's lost in the night,
                  Oh my lo-ve now is sadness,  I'm stripped of delight,
                  Oh my lo-ve is like smoke,  blown away on the wind,
                  M-y darling,  my Bridget,  I'll ne'er see you again.

                  I-I stand here in sorrow,  b-y Kell's waterside,
                  And remember all the laughter,  I thought would abide,
                  Oh my da-ar-ling,  my Bridget,  why did you leave me?
                  M-y tears join the river,  follow you to the sea.

                  We first met in the springtime,  thr-ee long years ago,
                  And How much I'd grow to love you,  I soon came to know,
                  And I longed to see you smiling,  to hear your bright song,
                  And I knew then I'd love you,  you were where I belonged.

                  Thr-ough all our bright summers,  we-e laughed and we played,
                  And our joy was of the finest,  that e-er was made,
                  Oh our lo-ve was like stardust,  we shone in the night,
                  Oh our love was like music,  sh-ot through with delight.

                  Th-en came this sad winter,  whe-en you went away,
                  Now dark sto-rm clouds have rolled in,  the whole worlds gone grey,
                  Oh my da-ar-ling,  my Bridget,   you''re gone from my side,
                  M-y love's flown down river,  I-I'm lost on the tide.
                  Yours in Service to the Muse,

                  ~~ Secca ~~
                  "Ordeyne how it shal be * and it shal be do"
                                      The Tale of Gamelyn - Anonymous

                • Kimberly Sargen
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 19, 2008
                    Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I should, however, have
                    been a bit more specific - this is for a late period (16th century) salon.
                    The theme is death - nothing more specific than that. And I've been having
                    an overload of Dowland of late - I taught a class on his lute songs not long
                    ago. *LOL* Not to say I don't adore his work, but I'm looking outside that
                    as well - don't want to known as Jenny Onenote. 8)

                    And yes, I have every intention of doing some of those "petite morte" songs.
                    How can you pass those up?

                    8)
                    Veronica
                  • mit1369
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 19, 2008
                      I've always liked "Rearguard's Lament". It's available on the "Cantaria" site.

                      Uadahlrich
                      Midrealm

                      >I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming SCA event,
                      >and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of period stuff
                      >(I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
                      >
                      >Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will work.
                      >Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of stumped on
                      >where to start looking at the moment...
                      >
                      >8)
                      >Signora Veronica da Lugano
                      >7th Bard of the West
                      >(who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
                      >(who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

                      The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials....the most money...or the most awards.

                      They simply are the ones who care the most.

                      PeoplePC Online
                      A better way to Internet
                      http://www.peoplepc.com
                    • Amy Somerfield
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                        It's almost period but Rickitty, Tickitty, Tin is always fun with death.  an entire family gets bumped off.

                        Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:
                        Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I should, however, have
                        been a bit more specific - this is for a late period (16th century) salon.
                        The theme is death - nothing more specific than that. And I've been having
                        an overload of Dowland of late - I taught a class on his lute songs not long
                        ago. *LOL* Not to say I don't adore his work, but I'm looking outside that
                        as well - don't want to known as Jenny Onenote. 8)

                        And yes, I have every intention of doing some of those "petite morte" songs.
                        How can you pass those up?

                        8)
                        Veronica

                        Justice --- When you get what you deserve

                        Mercy ----- When you don't get what you deserve

                        Grace ----- When you get what you don't deserve

                      • wannabanerdsomeday
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                          What plague is greater than the grief of mind?
                          The grief of mind that eats in every vein;
                          In every vein that leaves such clots behind;
                          Such clots behind as breed such bitter pain;
                          So bitter pain that none shall ever find,
                          What plague is greater than the grief of mind.
                          E. of Ox
                          http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/oxfordpoems.htm

                          May not be a good fit, but it is Elizabethan, and there is a largish
                          collection of period poems on the site. Stumbled across it when I was
                          trying to find the lyrics to a song that begins "I met a soldier on a
                          hill, he wore a tattered cloak. . . " Anyone have them?
                          --R

                          --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I should,
                          however, have
                          > been a bit more specific - this is for a late period (16th century)
                          salon.
                          > The theme is death - nothing more specific than that. And I've
                          been having
                          > an overload of Dowland of late - I taught a class on his lute songs
                          not long
                          > ago. *LOL* Not to say I don't adore his work, but I'm looking
                          outside that
                          > as well - don't want to known as Jenny Onenote. 8)
                          >
                          > And yes, I have every intention of doing some of those "petite
                          morte" songs.
                          > How can you pass those up?
                          >
                          > 8)
                          > Veronica

                        • Paul DeLisle
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 20, 2008

                            *sigh*…and…here we go again….

                            My dear…”Rickety Tickety Tin” can’t be period…unless Tom Lehrer is 450 years’ old (it was written by him in about 1960.)

                            No harm, no foul…but do look things up …Mr. Lehrer’s alternate title to that piece is “An Irish Traditional Ballad” (which gives you a clue about what “traditional” means…..i.e. that either someone was too lazy to look up the author, or that the author can’t be found [usually the former.])

                            In Service, I remain

                            Alden Pharamond

                            (and served him up as an Irish stew…….and invited the neighbors in…)

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                              >My dear."Rickety Tickety Tin" can't be period

                              It must be. I mean, I sang that at my first bardic circle, and they went and made me a Laurel, so doesn't it follow?

                              Okay, there might have been a small hiatus between the two events, but still...

                              - Michael
                            • Greg Lindahl
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                                On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 05:47:04PM -0500, Paul DeLisle wrote:

                                > My dear."Rickety Tickety Tin" can't be period.unless Tom Lehrer is 450
                                > years' old (it was written by him in about 1960.)

                                I took Music Appreciation in college, and I wrote an essay on the
                                final about how PDQ Bach's compositions seemed awfully modern for
                                someone who was purpotedly JS Bach's son. I don't think the grader got
                                it. Oh well.

                                -- Gregory
                              • Richard
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                                  Well neither is strictly period as they're Irish folks songs, but
                                  depending on how you wish to you, There's Finnegan's Wake for the
                                  humorous bent on "death" which you can find on hudreds of Irish folk
                                  song compilations.
                                  A little more depressing and rare is "There were Roses" or i've
                                  heard it titled "The Red Roses" I just make one very very minor
                                  change to make Car into Cart and there's nothing SCA objectionable
                                  about it. It is very depressing though and is about a Catholic friend
                                  and a Protestant friend who were each killed for their beliefs, one
                                  in reprisal for the random killing of the other even though he didn't
                                  have anything to do with it.

                                  Driscoll

                                  --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

                                  > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                                  SCA event,
                                  > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                                  period stuff
                                  > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will
                                  work.
                                  > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of
                                  stumped on
                                  > where to start looking at the moment...
                                  >
                                  > 8)
                                  > Signora Veronica da Lugano
                                  > 7th Bard of the West
                                  > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
                                  > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

                                • Tim Jennings
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 20, 2008

                                    Tommy Sands wrote the piece  (Roses) in about 1974 following the very real incident in Northern Ireland that it describes. It’s a great one, but its very much a part of the Irish rebellion period (Post 1800) and more specifically the troubles of the 1960’s through the 80’s.

                                    There are very few Irish or Scots ‘trad style’ pieces in English from period (pre 1600) or even near period. Maybe a cpl dozen in total. Most period music is not of this style at all. A Few pieces begin the transition, but its sound is really quite modern

                                    Doesn’t mean don’t sing stuff of a more modern type, but its good to understand that when we sing something like ‘Roses’ at a bardic circle, it is not any kind of attempt at mediaeval or ren music – just fun of the kind the SCA often enjoys. We like the images. Heck –I think generally we are much more interested in the Victorianized ideals of chivalry and knighthood then the mediaeval ones…but knowing which is which is the battle.

                                    Feel free to drop by Harpwood Hall at Pennsic and sing itJ We like a variety of music!

                                     In fact (blatant plug) I have Eugene Rea and Noni Crete coming to play at an SCA event pub (The Raven) this wknd in Ealdormere. Eugene Rea is Tommy Sands cousin and one of the original members of the Sands Family (who are awesome!!). He’s also won the Irish national penny whistle and Mandolin championships in the grand master categoryJ Should be fun to listen and Noni has an incredible voice.

                                    Tim/Garraed

                                    Tim Jennings

                                    Managing Director

                                    Roseneath Theatre

                                    519-787-2399

                                    www.roseneath.ca

                                    ***

                                    A proud member of International Performing Arts for Youth

                                    www.ipayweb.org

                                    Well neither is strictly period as they're Irish folks songs, but
                                    depending on how you wish to you, There's Finnegan's Wake for the
                                    humorous bent on "death" which you can find on hudreds of Irish folk
                                    song compilations.
                                    A little more depressing and rare is "There were Roses" or i've
                                    heard it titled "The Red Roses" I just make one very very minor
                                    change to make Car into Cart and there's nothing SCA objectionable
                                    about it. It is very depressing though and is about a Catholic friend
                                    and a Protestant friend who were each killed for their beliefs, one
                                    in reprisal for the random killing of the other even though he didn't
                                    have anything to do with it.

                                    Driscoll

                                    --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

                                    > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                                    SCA event,
                                    > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                                    period stuff
                                    > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
                                    >
                                    > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will
                                    work.
                                    > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of
                                    stumped on
                                    > where to start looking at the moment...
                                    >
                                    > 8)
                                    > Signora Veronica da Lugano
                                    > 7th Bard of the West
                                    > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
                                    > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

                                  • wodeford
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 20, 2008
                                      --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@...> wrote:

                                      > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                                      SCA event,
                                      > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                                      period stuff
                                      > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.

                                      Yahoo appears to have eaten my previous post, so let's try again,
                                      shall we?

                                      "Ad mortem festinamus" from the Llibre Vermell might do you:
                                      Lyrics and midi file can be found here:
                                      http://brassy.club.fr/PartMed/LiVerm/LiVerm.html

                                      Scroll down for full lyrics and translation.
                                      http://www.sarband.de/Programs/Fran%8Dais/FR-Llibreall.html

                                      And there's "Man Mai Longe", lyrics can be found here:
                                      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/articles/filk.and.the.sca.html
                                      And of course, I can't FIND the book that I think has notation for it.

                                      If you want something late period in more recognizable English,
                                      there's always Orlando Gibbons' "The Silver Swan," which is about as
                                      short and sweet as it gets.

                                      I may think of more later.

                                      Jehanne de Wodeford
                                      West
                                    • Melissa Widmaier
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 21, 2008

                                        Very depressing. :(

                                        I'm Irish who started off Protestant and I'm now Catholic. This song just kills me when I hear it, but it truly is haunting and beautiful.

                                        Viola Howell

                                        "There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." ~ Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

                                        http://Melissa-Widmaier.imagekind.com  http://www.myspace.com/violahowl

                                        Well neither is strictly period as they're Irish folks songs, but
                                        depending on how you wish to you, There's Finnegan's Wake for the
                                        humorous bent on "death" which you can find on hudreds of Irish folk
                                        song compilations.
                                        A little more depressing and rare is "There were Roses" or i've
                                        heard it titled "The Red Roses" I just make one very very minor
                                        change to make Car into Cart and there's nothing SCA objectionable
                                        about it. It is very depressing though and is about a Catholic friend
                                        and a Protestant friend who were each killed for their beliefs, one
                                        in reprisal for the random killing of the other even though he didn't
                                        have anything to do with it.

                                        Driscoll

                                        --- In SCA_BARDS@yahoogrou ps.com, Kimberly Sargen <ksargen@... > wrote:

                                        > I've been invited to perform at a little gathering at an upcoming
                                        SCA event,
                                        > and the theme is death. I haven't anything in my repertoire of
                                        period stuff
                                        > (I do mostly late period vocal stuff) that really suits.
                                        >
                                        > Anyone got any ideas? Solo voice, or voice and lute or guitar will
                                        work.
                                        > Foreign languages don't bother me, either... I'm just sort of
                                        stumped on
                                        > where to start looking at the moment...
                                        >
                                        > 8)
                                        > Signora Veronica da Lugano
                                        > 7th Bard of the West
                                        > (who should otherwise be known as the Mushroom Bard)
                                        > (who needs a brief break from John Dowland...)

                                      • katrinaofcoventry
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 21, 2008
                                          Off the top of my head - try these:

                                          Bonnie Earl of Murray (Child 181) and the companion song, Willie
                                          Macintosh / Burning of Auchindoun (Child 183)

                                          Mediæval Bæbes also does a great German song called "So Spricht Das
                                          Leben," dated apx 1470 ce. It's a great dialog back and forth
                                          between "Life" and "Death" about which one of them the world belongs
                                          to. It's on their "Worldes Blysse" album.

                                          If you don't mind going a bit post-period, you could try "Down Among
                                          the Dead Men."

                                          Good luck!
                                          Kat
                                        • Lady Aneleda Cytheria Falconbridge
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 21, 2008
                                            Far from Dowland:

                                            The classic "Three Ravens" is pretty deathy, lovely and a bit gorey.

                                            "Full Fathon Five" has many variations, and I would say that "of his
                                            bones are coral made...etc," fits the theme.

                                            "Lord Randall" (or Durante My Son, or any variation thereof) can be
                                            argued to be appropriate as well, and maybe even older variations of
                                            "Barb'ry/Barbara/Barbwee Allen" (hey, they supposedly made it to
                                            America before 1600, so that fits for me!)

                                            And while looking for something else, I found a composer which had a
                                            lot of "death" in the lyric at least - Danish composer (Mogens
                                            Pedersøn (a. 1585-1623). Check out
                                            http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/pederson/madrigali.html for
                                            more. I think that the actual music files require lilypond to open,
                                            but it may be a jumping-off point.

                                            Let us know what you perform!!! (And hear!)

                                            - Aneleda Falconbridge