This week on PBS: Pete Seeger, American Master.

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2008
      Ladies and gentlemen of the list, this is a must-see. And I'm not just
      saying that because I grew up singing along to a scratchy LP of Mr.
      Seeger and Sonny Terry at Carnegie Hall either.

      Check your local PBS affiliate for air times.
      http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/seeger_p.html

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      Amateur musician who sings a bit
      West Kingdom
    • Tim Jennings
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
        Message
        Not to seem like a copy cat but I so totally agree with you on this!! Pete Seeger is a must for any serious folk music student and an excellent source of inspiration for this list.

        I also recommend (free stuff!!) downloading the Folkways Music Collection from Itunes (the basics will come up if you type in Folkways or Pete Seeger).

        Its a multi part pod cast on the Folkways collection at the Smithsonian. About 12 hours of great radio (done in conjunction with Canada's CBC Radio) and details Pete and other early American recording artists (Guthrie, Dylan, etc) who recorded under the label. One of the best documentaries I have listened to. Lots of music. Makes for a great long drive series

        Thanks Jehanne:) I am looking forward to seeing the show and I still have my scratchy records;)

        TTFN
        Tim/Garraed

        Tim Jennings
        Managing Director
        Roseneath Theatre
        519-787-2399
        ***
        A proud member of International Performing Arts for Youth

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
          Okay, now I have to unlurk.

          I had the deep, delightful privilege of escorting Pete (I called him Mr. Seeger and he said "call me Pete" so I do!) at the Clearwater Revival several years ago. He's a genuinely nice guy and a true American treasure. That same year I got to watch Arlo Guthrie lead a song "in Pete sing-along style" to which Pete laughed his ass off. <G>

          I guess I should introduce myself (finally). I'm Lady Ceridwen ferch Grufydd, presently from the Barony of Twin Moons in Atenveldt, exported from Bhakail in the East. I have a decent alto singing voice, a penchant for bawdy songs, and an undying love for classical guitar of all sorts and periods. I tend more towards instrumental music because of the guitar thing (I've been playing since I was 10), but I'll sing when inspired by a mug of mead. ;)

          Nice to meet you!
          Ceridwen

          wodeford wrote:

          Ladies and gentlemen of the list, this is a must-see. And I'm not just
          saying that because I grew up singing along to a scratchy LP of Mr.
          Seeger and Sonny Terry at Carnegie Hall either.

          Check your local PBS affiliate for air times.
          http://www.pbs. org/wnet/ americanmasters/ database/ seeger_p. html

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          Amateur musician who sings a bit
          West Kingdom

        • KaziBrionSCA
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2008
            Hi all,

            Brion and I saw that.  It was awesome, and we will probably get the DVD's just so the whole family gets some education.

            Kazi